Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Booties and Gloves  

Author Topic: Booties and Gloves  (Read 37611 times)

jjordan

Booties and Gloves
« on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:41 »
Inquiring minds at BNP are wondering if any commercial facilities in the US still permit CA entries in just booties and gloves? If you know of a plant, could you enlighten me on any restrictions: ie contamination levels or limits, no climbing, kneeling,or inspections only. If possible, could you also provide a point of contact.
Thanks,
JJ 8)

shayne

Re: Booties and Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:17 »
I remember doing a few entries into spaces with booties/gloves and lab coat.  Generally it was the type of entry where I was just walking into a space to look at something from the ground and leave... I don't remember what the contamination levels were, I imagine they were barely dirty with such little protection.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:10 »
At DC Cook there is a allowance for Operators to walk through a CA at the entrance of lower containment with booties and gloves because of an isolated clean area on the other side, they take a clean pair with them for the trip back in a bag.  I don't know about any other areas where that would be allowed at that facility.

Also a similar situation with SONGS and the security force there.  There is a post just inside the step off pad to containment that is a clean room.  They do it like the example at Cook above.  I do know that there is an allowance at SONGS for lab coat, booties and gloves for certain situations but not just booties and gloves.  More and more I hear that plants have gone away from the practice.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

jjordan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:43 »
Ok, Thanks Bat Man and Shayne. I'm most interested in just booties and glove, no lab coat. We have areas posted CA, that you could roll around on the floor and not get contaminated. Full dress is a pain, espeacially if you are just "looking"!
JJ ;)

vikingfan

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:02 »
I know some of the cleaner plants such as v.c summers allows workers to enter containment in booties and gloves for a lot of the general work. full pc's were required for entry into the cavity, and anything inside the bio wall.I don't recall off hand the exact contamination levels but i believe at summers the general area contam levels were about < 10K.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:33 »
Some places allow booties and gloves if you are not going to climb, knee or crawl over pipes and equipment. But you must not be wearing street clothes.  One must be in scribs to do this.  No clothing reimbursements.  Needless to say most end up wearing pc's. 
It is what it is!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:27 »
Sequoyah allows booties and gloves through a traverse path to Upper Ice (inside containment) as long as you are wearing long-sleeved scrubs.

Most TVAN general RWPs now make the same allowances for OPS that they had previously reserved for RP Techs. Gloves and booties are sometimes the designated dressout for OPS and RP (even with the NRC Resident watching), but not usually for other crafts.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:48 »
We use booties and gloves.
Any CA for inspection purposes.
No climbing, crawling, tight spaces.
RP's use booties and gloves for routines, surveys, etc.

We've recently had some issues where maintenance workers were working in booties and gloves.  We changed so all work in a contaminated area has to be done in a full suit up.  Prior to that we did allow some minor work in booties and gloves.

We still allow contaminated work in rubber gloves reaching across boundaries.  I&C uses this a lot on instrument racks that are potential contaminated internally.  They are also allowed, per RWP, to reach across C/A's in gloves and do work on contaminated systems.  We allow this on an as needed basis for maintenance.  Pop quite a few valves open with just gloves until we establish conditions.  Is this crazy?  We have a decent database of past  levels of many components.  We routinely verify past radiological conditions prior to entering.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:52 »
Ok, Thanks Bat Man and Shayne. I'm most interested in just booties and glove, no lab coat. We have areas posted CA, that you could roll around on the floor and not get contaminated. Full dress is a pain, espeacially if you are just "looking"!
JJ ;)

We worked hard at deposting our plant's CA's.  We are now less than 7% C/A.  For a BWR that's pretty good.  If you can roll around and not get contaminated, can you release from a CA?  Sometimes it's a mindset to get over.  We still have workers wondering if areas are "really" clean.

jjordan

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2007, 04:27 »
justme, which plants? Dustball what plant do you work at? How do you work the Turbine during outages?
JJ :-\

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:39 »
JJ ;)

sumbuddy gotta axe dis.... why are areas posted c.a. without enuff contamination to git crapped up?  iffen ya gots components that are crapped up, post them 'n leaf da floor posted clean.  doy!
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 07:41 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

jjordan

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:57 »
SloGlo,
Our biggest area is the Turbine. we are a BWR. During an outage we do lots of breeches and it's slighty contaminated. But with the amount of floor space lack of HP's it's easier to leave large areas posted CA. We do release  a lot but some stays in the CA.
JJ :P
Don't kill the messanger, I was asked to find out who still did it, and how they justified it with INPO  and ANI.

mattrev

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:12 »
SloGlo,
Our biggest area is the Turbine. we are a BWR. During an outage we do lots of breeches and it's slighty contaminated. But with the amount of floor space lack of HP's it's easier to leave large areas posted CA. We do release  a lot but some stays in the CA.
JJ :P
Don't kill the messanger, I was asked to find out who still did it, and how they justified it with INPO  and ANI.

That's your problem. You gotta' get that cleaned up. Our turbine area (early model BWR) is all clean. Anybody can walk all around the hoods with no PC's. Any HRA's are roped off.

I would suggest looking into who has the lowest %CA of the BWR's and make a road trip. Go see what they do.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007, 05:15 by RangerRoy »

Melrose

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:46 »
Inquiring minds at BNP are wondering if any commercial facilities in the US still permit CA entries in just booties and gloves? If you know of a plant, could you enlighten me on any restrictions: ie contamination levels or limits, no climbing, kneeling,or inspections only. If possible, could you also provide a point of contact.
Thanks,
JJ 8)

Entering a CA in just booties and gloves is a novel idea, imagine the cost savings of not laundering.  A quick rinse before exiting the RCA and you're good to go.
May help in the heat stress areas also.  I wonder what the stay time would be, factoring heavy work and just booties and gloves.  Climbing over those hot pipes is gonna be a bitch.   :'(
I reckon the only drawback is the sites seen inside the CA while everyone's running around donned in just booties and gloves.   :o
Scenes probably better left to their loved ones and mothers.
 ;D

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:12 »
Scenes probably better left to their loved ones and mothers.
 ;D

amen!  roflmao!  mercy.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

jjordan

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:12 »
Melrose your killing me! I just got back from Vegas, and Dangerfield is dead! There's an opening! Everyone wants to be a comedian. No Respect, No respect at all!! SloGlo hesh up! Yew aynt bin tue a kumershal syte sinz racters waz maid frum would!!! RangerRoy and Dustball, you ever consider a carreer in politics? You responded to the question, but never aswered it. Then you blamed poor old JJ for all of the contaminated sqaure footage.Ok I accept it. It's all my fault. I'm going to change things here. I'm going to clean it up this outage. :P But I want to do it in booties and gloves. Now where did you say you worked! Summer doesn't do it and neither does Seqouya. We checked. But thanks for the leads! Any where else folks? I've just got to know!
Thanks Again,
JJ 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2007, 10:59 by JJordan »

illegalsmile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:38 »
it's a common practice at a some (if not all) of the Exelon plants to allow B&G w/ Scrubs for 'inspection only' in low C areas....say <10k avg

jjordan

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:33 »
it's a common practice at a some (if not all) of the Exelon plants to allow B&G w/ Scrubs for 'inspection only' in low C areas....say <10k avg
Thank You,
This will help. I will check it out :D
JJ
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2007, 09:35 by JJordan »

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:08 »
JJ ;)

I dont believe it JJ ;)

hml

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:44 »
Nine Mile also uses booties and gloves for inspections and observations under the following conditions: 400-25,000 dpm/100cm2, dry work only, and no climbing, kneeling, or sitting. For the most part this dressout is used for supervisor walkdowns or to check on crews, RP surveys, OPS walkdowns or to hang clearances or security walk throughs. Usually if the activity involves "work" then it goes to a single set.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2007, 01:48 by hml »

Melrose

« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:00 »
Are we talking 'boobies and gloves' while wearing civies or while wearing scrubs?  ;)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 »
Booties and gloves while wearing "utility provided clothing". OPS clothing is acceptable, personal scrubs should not be.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

jjordan

« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:31 »
Company issued scrubs, booties and gloves with no lab coat. Mainly for ops and HP, but inpections and walkdowns also.
Thanks,
JJ ;D

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:36 »
Nine Mile also uses booties and gloves for inspections and observations under the following conditions: 400-25,000 dpm/100cm2, dry work only, and no climbing, kneeling, or sitting. For the most part this dressout is used for supervisor walkdowns or to check on crews, RP surveys, OPS walkdowns or to hang clearances or security walk throughs. Usually if the activity involves "work" then it goes to a single set.

Sorry JJ, I don't check nukeworker out on a daily basis, so I haven't replied earlier.  Not too political savy here.  More of a straight shooter.  Plant is Monticello.

Nine Mile has real similar rules/guidelines to ours.  No "WORK" in B&G.  We've recently gone overboard on percons attention.  ANYTHING >100ncpm is considered a percon ~ even on scrubs, shoes, etc.  We don't require scrubs or anything special when wearing B&G.  Street clothes are fine.   During the outage we try to minimize our postings on the TB Floor.  We post turbine internals C/A when we pull the hoods off. The majority of our Condenser room is clean right now.  We keep it that way during the outage.  Under the water boxes is posted C/A. We do post around stop/control valves when entering them of course.   Our C/A limit is <1000dpm/100cm2.  But we attempt to control alara.  Turbine would be tough.  I've been in the drywell several times in booties and gloves.  Some posters here seem scared of allowing people in B&G.  I guess it depends on your average contamination levels.  Most of our CA's are <5k dpm general area.  Again, popping valves open and working them under the control of RP has been allowed with rubber gloves too.  Typically under 10k and smaller valves, but no hard and fast rules.

I was at Crystal River in the 90's.  I seen Big Al McClosky (sp) down in the cavity with shorts on (yes shorts!) booties and gloves and a labcoat.  As an RP you could go where no man has gone before.  BUT, if you got crapped up you had hell to pay.  If anyone remembers... a tort is a tort is a tort.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:45 »
Melrose your killing me! I just got back from Vegas, and Dangerfield is dead! There's an opening! Everyone wants to be a comedian. No Respect, No respect at all!! SloGlo hesh up! Yew aynt bin tue a kumershal syte sinz racters waz maid frum would!!! RangerRoy and Dustball, you ever consider a carreer in politics? You responded to the question, but never aswered it. Then you blamed poor old JJ for all of the contaminated sqaure footage.Ok I accept it. It's all my fault. I'm going to change things here. I'm going to clean it up this outage. :P But I want to do it in booties and gloves. Now where did you say you worked! Summer doesn't do it and neither does Seqouya. We checked. But thanks for the leads! Any where else folks? I've just got to know!
Thanks Again,
JJ 8)

You ask for help, but come out swinging?!?!  :-\  Nice.   
You sound like a typical beat down house mouse! :'(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?