Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Booties and Gloves honeypot

Author Topic: Booties and Gloves  (Read 37600 times)

Offline justme

• Moderate User
Re: Booties and Gloves
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:47 »
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, JJ.   I was referring to Nine Mile and Diablo.  Diablo allows some bootie and glove stuff, mainly inspections and minor rp stuff.  But now that they went to Orex for everything (even most generator work), most just wear the orex.  Contaminations have gone down and it is more comfortable for workers.  Also, no contaminations from rewashed PCs.  They only wash the rubber gloves and boots.
It is what it is!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:50 »
Are we talking 'boobies and gloves' while wearing civies or while wearing scrubs?  ;)

Haven't seen 'boobies & gloves' since just before WPPSS decided it was time to mandate modesty garments!  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2007, 02:24 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

jjordan

« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:36 »
You ask for help, but come out swinging?!?!  :-\  Nice.   
You sound like a typical beat down house mouse! :'(
Thanks Dustball, I wasn't swinging, was asking again. Tried to be funny, no offense! Thanks for the info.. Been to Nine Mile, have some friends there, will ask them how they pull it off. I think Bob Hite is RPM at Diablo, will ask him also. Been to CR3 as a shared resource, wouldn't go into their cavity in singles now! Good plant, but way contaminated.
Thanks,
JJ

oldodge52

« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:27 »
JJ,
If I remember right, at Calvert we can go into a contaminated area (<10K, I believe), in booties, gloves and scrubs provided that the scrubs have long sleeves. This was really popular for deconning wide open areas where we wouldn't be rubbin' up on any equipment, like the SOP after the outage. And for pulling trash and laundry. Most engineers and operators don't have a good stock pile of long sleeved scrubs, though... might want to throw them in doubles and a respirator just cuz you can. just kiddin' ;D
Hey! Aren't you ready for that outage yet?
t.

jjordan

« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:34 »
thanks oldoge52,
we don't shut down until March 3rd. Still a little time. We have plenty of long sleeved scrubs. I'll check out CC, been a while since I've been there, but I still think I have a few friends there!
JJ

ageoldtech

« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:37 »
Comanche Peak does most of thier O/S biowall power entries in the old booties and gloves. No one goes inside the biowall at power, too many neutrons.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:19 »
Hey Bone, are you volunteering?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

ageoldtech

« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:44 »
I went in last tuesday wearing them, Where were you Mike?

South_African

« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2007, 02:38 »
I had the same question as you JJ and it seems that everyone has a different policy. Some allow it and some don't. But have a look at this website:

www.nppd.com/About_Us/Energy_Facilities/facilities/gen001-01-11.pdf

I think its page 15 - where they stipulate the requirements for entering a CA in modesties. Although they don't say it - I presume it also includes booties and gloves.

jjordan

« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:54 »
South African,
That is most helpfull! Do you work in the US? We are looking for an inturperator so we can understand what Geoffrey Brewer has been saying to us for the past 15 years! ;D
Thanks,
JJ
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2007, 09:55 by JJordan »

South_African

« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:10 »
I wish I did work in the States!! But unfortunately I don't, but I have been able to visit one of the nuclear power plants (twice) and see how they do things. And its not that much different to the way way we do things.

We used to follow a similar approach as mentioned in that document, but now require a full PC's every time we enter a CA. That means that there is one occasion after doing a survey, where we have to get dressed into a full set of PC's simply to walk about 4 meters to change the radiological signposting! And in that case the approach of booties and gloves would be more sensible, especially since the contam levels are low.

We are now looking at following the approach as mentioned in that document.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2007, 05:14 »
Hey JJ.  Watts Bar uses booties and gloves for anything <10k as long as there is no crawling, kneeling, or climbing.  RP, Ops, maint., eng., doesn't matter.  Every routine CA rwp is written that way.  Anything >10k or doing either the three mentioned requires fulls.  Hope it helps.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Melrose

« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2007, 09:47 »
Hey JJ.  Watts Bar uses booties and gloves for anything <10k as long as there is no crawling, kneeling, or climbing.  RP, Ops, maint., eng., doesn't matter.  Every routine CA rwp is written that way.  Anything >10k or doing either the three mentioned requires fulls.  Hope it helps.

Booties and gloves over ....scrubs..., not civies.  Ops wear their own company supplied clothing.

jjordan

« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2007, 10:31 »
That does thanks. Don't all TVA plants go by the same rules? I was told that Seqouya didn't do booties and gloves anymore. But if you do at Watts bar, this will help, maybe. It's David against Goliath again. Why do i keep doing this???
JJ

jjordan

« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2007, 10:48 »
Booties and gloves over ....scrubs..., not civies.  Ops wear their own company supplied clothing.
We use company issued scrub here for everyone. This is part of the issue. initially BNP used scubs for low level PC's, and modesty garments at the same time. I protested, but as usual, was overruled. Now we currently don't allow Booties and Gloves anymore. We use the scrubs to expedite exit from the RCA, due to SLIGHT issues of offgass. If you alarm, you can frisk <100 cpm, and determine that it would be offgas (no CA entries, and marked decay) you change scrubs, pass the portals, and on your merry way. I've been told by my management that the Booties and Gloves issue was not allowed due to issues with ANI, and that nobody does it anymore. Sounds like someone is mistaken, or their are a lot of plants in jepardy of loosing their insurance. I think they just don't want to do the work to justify the use of booties and gloves. So i'll do it for them, take my whipping like a man. Make BNP a better more freindly place to work. It's hot in the PC's and creates a lot of unneccessary Rad Waste. Orex aint cheap either. (NYSE Ticker MTMD, $4.71/ share) I've made better than 30%. If you can't beat em, profit from them!!!!
JJ 8)

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:53 »

That's correct.  I didn't mean to imply that we let anybody willie nillie walk right into a CA with their personal clothing.  I meant to imply that yes we do have a policy for the provision of a dressout with "booties and gloves". 

The plant doesn't hand out cloth scrubs to everybody anymore.  Your section has to buy them from Frahm or out of power stores for you if available.  I usually get mine from Browns Ferry or Sequoyah when we are resource sharing during outages, it's easier than here.  We used disposable scrubs more this time and used Orex for the first time.

Yeah, all three TVA sites are different.  Fixing to all go through some major stuff with the Goodnight study.  We call it the Goodbye study.   ANI inspectors are here this week and I'll let you know if they have a issue with our dressout.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

jjordan

« Reply #41 on: Feb 19, 2007, 05:48 »
Limited quantity, Thanks, You've been most helpfull!
JJ ;D

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #42 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:57 »
My last plant we (operations) could go into a CA in booties, gloves and a labcoat (over our street clothes) provided we were not going to be rubbing up against piping/equipment and the contamination levels were low enough.  At the new plant they do not have labcoats but everyone wears scrubs, booties and gloves.

jjordan

« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:58 »
My last plant we (operations) could go into a CA in booties, gloves and a labcoat (over our street clothes) provided we were not going to be rubbing up against piping/equipment and the contamination levels were low enough.  At the new plant they do not have labcoats but everyone wears scrubs, booties and gloves.
Which plants are we refering to?
Thanks,
Jj

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?