Below Average
18 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Surry  (Read 51888 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Surry
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:33 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

cuzzvette

Re: Rate Surry
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2003, 05:28 »
Hello I work for Bartlett Nuclear and Bartlett service. I must say out off all the places i have worked. This is my Favorite plant. Good people to work for. Both houses and Bartlett Supervision. You are a part of the Family when you work for VA Power. They even take care of there Decon Crew there. Thanks

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
Re: Talk About: Surry
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:48 »
Who is the outage coordinator at Surry? Are they trying to staff it? [smiley=hop_hand.gif]
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline lilnukee

• Light User
  • Life's a beach, and then you dive!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 03:12 »
:D This is my favorite plant. I have been coming here since '93 and just love it. The people are the best,  very friendly and go out of their way to make us feel like part of the team.

hambone

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 10:32 »
Surry has come a long way from the early eighties, things had to change or the NRC would have shut them down for good.
My last trip there was in 99 and i had a great time.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 11:10 »
Things have definitely gone downhill this outage.  The work wasn't planned well for the head replacement, the ALARA used North Anna's information for planning and then blamed the techs for why we were over estimate (couldn't be that the plant is much older.)  The junior techs were blamed for the amount of PCE's, even though the step-off pad was always being crapped up due to the amount of workers, no posted undress procedure for the new OREX PC's, and disorganization of the pad so that workers were undressing next to and sometimes around other workers just getting water and having tools surveyed.
   And to top it all, they are having the first layoff of about a third of the HP and Decon staff on Tuesday, and they haven't even started to put poles in the hole, much less cavity decon, because of budget.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Surry
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:34 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

richardb52

Re: Surry
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2004, 10:28 »
Hey, I'll be going down there late October to December and I am interested in places to stay and whatever may be around there to see.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Rich

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2004, 01:15 »
Captain George's Seafood Buffett hasthe best seafood selection in the world.
Williamsburg for sight seeing.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2004, 06:10 »
Captain George's Seafood Buffett hasthe best seafood selection in the world.
Williamsburg for sight seeing.

There are no sights better in that part of VA than Captain George's!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

doctormoo

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2004, 03:41 »
I-95 southbound at the state line

cmundson

« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2004, 11:58 »
Any info on Surry? From what I could research... it doesnt look like it is in the best area... But it is pretty close to Williamsburg. So, that is a good thing!
Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2004, 12:24 »
I worked Surry many times. Most of the time I stayed in Newport News. Sometimes in Smithfield. NewportNews is a good place. There is lots to do and good places to eat. If you stay near Williamsburg, you have to take the ferry accross the James River. Do not worry where you stay. Surry was a good place for me. Although I have not been there in many years.

jjordan

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2004, 10:09 »
Jamie Warren is the Bartlett Coordinator 8) Good guy, fun site, good plant people, lots to see and do in the area! Stayed in Newport News one time, cheap motel with a weekly rate. Stayed acrossed the river at a campground, after I got my RV, way more convienient. Housing is harder to find on the Surry side, it's limited and goes fast! ::)
JJ

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2004, 02:38 »
Best local flavor can be found in colonial willamsburg.  That'll take ya back about 250 years. 
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

virginiaCRO

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2005, 05:45 »
Places to hang out:  These are in Smithfield, VA, about 10 miles from the site:  Cowlings, Battery Park Grill, The Riverhouse Bar and Grill (on Rte. 17 before the James River Bridge on your way to Newport News), and the Oasis for a cold one after work.  Shopping in downtown Norfolk (MacArthur Center Mall) and Williamsburg (The Pottery, and many outlet stores).  Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are amusement parks in Williamsburg.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:18 »
Haven't been there in a while but I hear Jaime Warren is doing a fine job...
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

WIFEY26525

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2006, 05:43 »
SORRY SURRY WHERE THE HOGS ARE BEAUTIFUL. EVEN IF THE PLANT WAS'NT A PIT, YOU CAN NEVER GET PAST THE HOG PLANT OR ITS TRUCKS. THE SMELL WILL KILL.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:06 »
Anybody got an Email adress for Ops manager? looking to send resume to him.

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2006, 04:14 »
Surry is an OK plant with some good people but the housing is tough with a 30-45 minute commute being the norm. Then throw in the low pay rates and it gets placed on the bottom of the would return to plants.

duke99301

« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2006, 08:24 »
I was there with a guy named WeeGee! and  we kind went out for the night on a town and his wife called the plant all night looking for him. even asked the state police to look for him . Opps we were in his car.
but life was good we all had a good time there.

landlubber

« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2007, 01:50 »
Is it practical to live in Jamestown or Yorktown and commute to Surry? I am looking into permanent positions at Surry, so this commute would be made for the next 30+ years.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2007, 02:40 »
...I am looking into permanent positions at Surry, so this commute would be made for the next 30+ years.

Now that is what I call faith.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline guppy

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Sep 08, 2007, 03:02 »
Is it practical to live in Jamestown or Yorktown and commute to Surry? I am looking into permanent positions at Surry, so this commute would be made for the next 30+ years.

I don't believe that it is practical to commute from the Jamestown area to Surry.  I lived there for over 4 years and worked at the plant and lived in Surry County.  To live across the river, you have to deal with the "Jamestown-Scotland Ferry" TWICE each day... if it's not broken and if the weather permits it AND deal with the tourist traffic.  It could easily add serious time to the commute although you would have nice water views and you can feed the seagulls from the ferry.  The other option is a 2+ hour commute (one way) and use the James River Bridge.  The alternative places to live are Prince George County if you want your kids in a somewhat decent school system or towards Newport News.  Commute time at 40 minutes plus.  The Surry school system has been rated at the bottom for the state for many years but if you don't care about the kids then the plus is the low property values.

True, I haven't lived there for a while and as things may have changed ... I doubt it.

Did I mention the "Surry Academy"?  uhhhh...

ps - say hello to Greg P., David Val, Kenny S., Butch G., Andy W. and the rest of the long time operators for me.
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

landlubber

« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2007, 06:00 »
Guppy,

Thanks for the info. Schools are a concern, we still have three little ones. I also want to be closer to Portsmouth than Richmond. I guess I will concentrate on Smithfield and western Suffolk.

What is the Surry Academy? I am intrigued.

If I actually get a job there, then I will pass along the "hellos".

Thanks again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?