Below Average
18 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Surry  (Read 51890 times)

justatech

Re: Surry
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:08 »
He is right about the Ferry.....................and other areas

Have you thought about North Anna............easier drive to work....better schools.....better land value...........It's all Dominion .............plus Millstone in CT............but it sounds like you are interested in Virginia....

I'd put my 30 years in at North Anna first.......................

Offline guppy

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:11 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_academies

This will explain "Surry Academy".
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2007, 04:25 »
Several techs at Surry do live across the river and do take the ferry to work everyday. It's just a matter of knowing the exact times for the ferry. They do have several that run. Try going here for some info: http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown.asp
I hope it works for u.....

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2007, 04:53 »

What is the Surry Academy? I am intrigued.

Thanks again.

Nansemond Suffolk Academy (K through 12 I think) is nearby on Rte. 460, 1 mile north of the intersection with Rte. 58.  Since there is not much room left for development in Va. Beach, there is quite a bit of activity near Suffolk. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:21 »
One of the electricians I was talking to the other day summed Surry up pretty well:

"The best thing about Surry is that there aren't very many rules...and they don't enforce the ones they have.

The worst thing about Surry is that there aren't very many rules...and they don't enforce the ones they have."
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 01:07 »
Any factual word of rigging issues at Surry? Curious minds want to know.
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 06:02 »
What I gathered from inner-office emails is they had a rigging failure and dropped an RCP motor approx. 20 feet.No injuries were reported and an investigation is currently underway.
Call Before You Dig!

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38 »
That explains what happened here. We had a similar move put on hold until their event is analyzed. Glad nobody was hurt. Thanks for the info FD.
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2008, 03:11 »
I am very glad no one got hurt.  Roger/Vicky give me a call one evening.  Show me some love  8)

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 11:00 »
OUCH!
Thank god no one was in the way when it fell.
I received an email this morning with pictures of it.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 10:31 »
I would love to see those pictures, could you please email them to me at graiis@yahoo.com.  I am currently working with 7 other roadwhores at the DOE SRS.  We have all worked at Surry at some time and we all have our horror stories from time spent there. 

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 05:08 »
For those of us unable to get in touch with our friends at Surry can anyone give us more details?  Was it in containment or at the hatch, did it damage anything besides the motor?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!   :o
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11 »
For those of us unable to get in touch with our friends at Surry can anyone give us more details?  Was it in containment or at the hatch, did it damage anything besides the motor?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!   :o

We just got the report at Calvert of the incident at Surry. The DZ foreman said they lifted the motor but no one had verified full thread engagement on the turnbuckles. They went to set the motor down on the trailer when one of the three turnbuckles failed tilting the motor then the other two failed. Once I can figure out how to send the pictures along, I will.

Offline jim2752

• Very Lite User
  • Licensed Reactor Operator
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 08:59 »
What I gathered from inner-office emails is they had a rigging failure and dropped an RCP motor approx. 20 feet.No injuries were reported and an investigation is currently underway.

The motor was actually only dropped about 6 inches.   It just happened to land on the edge of the trailer, such that it tipped over practically upsidedown on the ground.  And there just happened to be a storm drain right under the upturned motor, which began leaking lube oil into said storm drain which drains straight to the discharge canal.  It's not quite as exciting as the time we dropped an RCP motor on Interstate 64.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 02:10 »
A most excellent way of getting rid of some waste oil, swing...
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

sammoyers

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 07:16 »
     The motor dropped due to the fact that on one turnbuckle, only one(1) thread was engaged, a second turnbuckle only had two(2) threads engaged. It's amazing that the load lifted as much as it did they were setting it back down when it broke loose. A guy holding a tag line was standing were the motor landed, and he skinned up his knee getting out of the way. When the lift rig broke loose it snapped back and hit the crane boom and bent it (the boom) pretty good.

They righted the motor the next day, then sent it off for repair. Turns out that it's the SAME motor that got dropped of on the interstate years back. Seems this motor has a curse on it. The motor has since returned from repair and is currently running quite well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:17 by Silverback »

Offline ladybugdecon

• Lurker
« Reply #41 on: Sep 24, 2015, 04:43 »

I've never been to Surry so I don't know the area. I'm looking for a good place to stay close to the plant. Thank you, Cora Jane Miller

HITR94

« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2016, 05:09 »
Could someone tell me what the pay scale is for I&E/I&C in house at Surry?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?