Pilgram

Above Average
20 (31.3%)
Average
18 (28.1%)
Below Average
26 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Pilgrim  (Read 126730 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Pilgrim
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:12 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Pilgrim
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:58 »
Talk About: Pilgrim

moodusjack

Re: Rate Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2002, 11:11 »
New England's Number One hot spot...yah yah yah.  I enjoyed myself for the 14 years I was there as a housepuke.  Good pay, great living by the ocean, marvelous parties.  Bad news, this place is a wrecking machine for Contractors.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:41 »
Pilgrim is a site? I thought it was a retirement home for Road Techs.

rlbinc

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2002, 09:38 »
I lived in Plymouth, thought it was great.
Good people, great food, outstanding Irish pub.
Whale watching was cool, PYM is a great airport if you like to fly.
Fenway Park was a hoot.

Make sure your car insurance is good, I chose to drive a beater truck. Full contact merge lanes.
Lots of Left-Handed-Coffee-Drinker-Right-Handed-Cell-Phone
type drivers. They USE horns and guardrails.

Good Mun, Lotsa Fun

Pet_Cow

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2002, 04:05 »
I lived in Plymouth, thought it was great.
Good people, great food, outstanding Irish pub.
Whale watching was cool, PYM is a great airport if you like to fly.
Fenway Park was a hoot.

Make sure your car insurance is good, I chose to drive a beater truck. Full contact merge lanes.
Lots of Left-Handed-Coffee-Drinker-Right-Handed-Cell-Phone
type drivers. They USE horns and guardrails.

Good Mun, Lotsa Fun

Ah yes, traffic circles and pulling your car half way across the road to make a left hand turn, blocking traffic.  What idiots.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2002, 11:39 »
one of the few places where aggressive driving is yer first mode of defensive driving. road rage is the norm, flipping middle digits is useless as it increases the chances of spilling yer own coffee, 'n nobuddy outside of yer vehicle cares.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

duke99301

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2002, 10:39 »
humm I do not know what the rate there is for hp. but a safety office asked me for the upper 40 an hour range, and 550 a week in diem, thing is I makeing $1190 a week for diem in boston , seems a little low to me right now!
but I had a blast there in 93, its the last time I ran into Dirty Murdy. whats up with him?

Offline Luscious

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Talk About: Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2003, 01:04 »
;) The site everyone forgot :o

Offline llamagramma

• FSS SR RP Tech/ Decomissioning
  • Light User
  • Have you kissed a Llama lately?
Re: Talk About: Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2003, 04:04 »
The Llamas are working  here at Pilgrim , living on the beach on the cape.

DesertRad

Re: Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:42 »
Last Time there was 2001. Good night life. The Ocean is outstanding. A few nice people really stood out, Jerome, Joe and Bernie. Oh yeah Marie Rossi (Bartlett Recruiter) was working dosimetry, that alone was worth the price of admission!!!!!

rapid

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2004, 02:22 »
 8) 8) 8) worked there in '81, bartletts first contract there for hp's.

the site and myself had a mutual agreement for me to terminate, had  a blast while i was there.

GOD BLESS all

rapid ray

roadhard

« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2004, 05:38 »
I was there in the late 90's. The RP Supervisors were good guys - but the place was a dump.

Could never get out of the RCA without crapped up shoes, CRD banks dripped continually, they had to build wood scaffold deck around risers to do ISI, they never modified the safe end barrier - so it was hand stack concrete block (incredible amount of exposure), the hand crud on the stairwell hand rails in the office building management occupied was thick enough to cut with a knife, in the same office building you could do radiocarbon testing on the dust bunnies, the carpet was worn down the center with fillet weld like dirt slopes and the stalagmites & stalactites in the microwave ovens would turn off a rat. The lunchroom ceiling tiles were caked in nicotine. Just a vile vile place with no pride. In short - the most vile Nuclear site in the nation.

I told the Night Shift Ops Supervisor about "take your daughter to work day" and dared him to bring his kid there, just to tour the office building. Fifteen minutes later my Supervisor showed up asking if I wanted an early lay off - 5 minutes later I was in the body counter.

Maybe they cleaned it up under new ownership.

Anybody got an update?

garycom

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2004, 11:54 »
Worked there last spring on the refuel floor. Good bunch of people to work with.  I lived on the cape, enjoyed the seafood, and hated the traffic circles!

Asa1

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2004, 10:10 »
Worked there in 99 in the drywell for Ron Passalugo. Had a great time. Got treated great for a lowly con. Hector was also very cool to work for/with. Would go back.

doctormoo

« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2004, 09:30 »
theres a koa on 44 in middleboro i believe
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2005, 06:48 by Duke Nuker »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2004, 06:10 »
I heard the word strike out there somewhere? 

Sounds kind of funny when they stage their contingency plan before they do a sit down with the bargening unit! 

Anybody know if they are paying the Seasonal Per Diem of $158.00 a day?

Inquiring Minds want to Know?

remowil55

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2004, 07:10 »
Hey Rad-Ghost: 150 a day for the first 30 days. 1000 bonus after training, another 1000 if they go on strike. 36.5 cent a mile in/out no cap. Remo

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2004, 04:45 »
Sounds like a nice chunk of change for the Summer, but " Be Careful   :D "!  Maybe they'll be paying the same at the next outage?  :-\

Take care, keep us posted!

hatched

« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2004, 05:22 »
At this  point in time, as in TODAY!!!, information about the contract HP pay, per diem, etc....  should remain confidential.  Releasing info about this situation only endangers the contract HP's that are involved in this contract.  Someone amongst the contractors, feels the need to let the whole world know what is going on.    PLEASE THINK !!!!!!!!  This may be over soon and then you can talk all you want!!!!!!!!!!!

hatched

« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2004, 05:29 »
Hey Rad-Ghost: 150 a day for the first 30 days. 1000 bonus after training, another 1000 if they go on strike. 36.5 cent a mile in/out no cap. Remo
  This is not correct info.........and at this point in time, the  correct info will not be publicized (by me, anyway) and also, don't believe everything you  read!!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2004, 03:54 »
Hey Hatched,

What's the Skinny?

This site is a great venue for sharing information in the Technician sector, such as this thread!

Did you ever stop and think?

Maybe the information is true, for the other techs!

Makes you wonder, RG   

IPREGEN

« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:06 »
An agreement was reached between the company and the union

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2004, 09:45 »
An agreement was reached between the company and the union
\

Good to hear.  Hope it was a fair one that can be lived with.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

hatched

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:02 »
Sorry....but wrong info again...an agreement has not been met, only proposed.   It will be voted on July 15th at 11:00 pm

hatched

« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:06 »
Hey Hatched,

What's the Skinny?

This site is a great venue for sharing information in the Technician sector, such as this thread!

Did you ever stop and think?

Maybe the information is true, for the other techs!

Makes you wonder, RG   

Hey RG, 
Every tech is paid the same for this particular situation....and you have received the wrong info on pay.  ALL the techs are getting more than you have been told!

moodusjack

« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2004, 04:43 »
Reply to ASA1:

I'm glad your experience with ronnie and hector was memorable.  Both guys were great and I had many good times with them.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2004, 09:12 »
Ah yes, Pilgrim, I worked the outage of 1977. Spent a long three months enjoying the short commute from Whitehorse Beach to the plant. The area was nice but the plant was nasty. As a result of my experiences there it has remained on my list of do not visit again sites.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:50 »
I had an invite back in 84, for a house mouse position.  Took the tour, then out the door!  That was back in the clean it up, fix it up days.  I told them to give me a call when they got done.  They never called, so I figured they never finished!  You got to love the area though, pricy, but nice!   

Rent-A-Cop

« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2005, 10:14 »
Sounds like most of you were there in the BECo days. Now Pilgrim is clean and at least the process building appears to be taken care of now. I can't say exactly, because my forte is security, as you could have guessed by my user name.

As far as the outbuildings go, the ones that I frequent (read: used by security & contractors) are in serious disrepair with one of the major buildings slated for demolition. But Entergy seems to take care of their own quite well.

But, in the end, sadly enough Pilgrim is still a wrecking ground for contractors, at least the permanent ones.  :(

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:15 »
Spent a large chunk of 1978 there... some of my best horror stories were born at that site. Always get great looks of disbelief when I describe the conditions there back in the day. Never been to a place that treated contractors worse (Millstone was a not-too-close second) and there was a wildcat strike that year so things got really fun when guns got involved.

Loved the area but only enough to go back for visits, never went back to work.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

cherndo

« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2005, 10:41 »
Hey Asa, that was a good outage wasn't it.  Probably one of the easiest outages I have ever been too.  We had a great bunch of people at the Drywell that outage didn't we.  You couldn't beat the Louisiana style lobster cooking that we did also.  Hey give me a holler some time.  I've had alot of people asking about you.

Fermione

Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:55 »
Spent almost two straight years at Pillgrim back in the late eighties.  Some great people worked there then.  Terry Corbett was my boss and I couldn't have asked for any better.  I generally was assigned to Radwaste so I saw all the fun places.  I was one of the Daryls of the "this is my other brother Daryl" fame. 

You could tell it was going to be an interesting day when you open the Concentrator room door and there is melted 5 gallon resin buckets on the floor due to the radiation exposure.

One of my favorite moments was with one of Purdy's boys from the Radwaste Control Room.  We had made an entry into the Floc Recycle Room to distribute the Floc more evenly in the HIC.  I look arond the corner and Bobby Mahr is jumping up and down inside the HIC and powder is flying everywhere.  Of course I yelled at him and made him leave.  He does and exits to the adjacent room. When I go out to talk to him, he's peeing into the gutter while still wearing plastics and a respirator.  His excuse, I had to go. 

Another fond memory is being dragged to security for special questioning.  Apparently a house tech overheard a conversation and it got twisted into me having a sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll party at my house on Labor day.  While under interogation, I was able to produce two ticket stubs from the Red Sox game played on the day in question.  That ended that investigation.

All in all, the area is great, getting a little congested with all the new stores etc.  Can't beat living on the Cape. 

For all you non-new englanders, the traffic circles are called rotaries.  My observation is people don't drive any more aggressive in Massachusetts than say Phoenix, San Clemente, or any other large urban area.

Do Pilgrim at least once, you may hate the plant but the other opportunities in the surrounding area make it worth the trip.

Fermi 1

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
Pilgrim Lodging
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:19 »
A coworker is heading up to Pilgrim in a couple of weeks. I haven't been there in 10 years, but am trying to help him out. Any suggestions?
Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #34 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:31 »
worked there in 2001, the plant was ok, didnt like not being able to use the site restrooms for not being union.  area was nice but we worked 7/12's so no time for exploring.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #35 on: Aug 29, 2005, 01:45 »
I worked the 2001 outage too.  I used whatever restroom I wanted.  Nobody tried to stop me, and there were no signs on the doors.  Are you sure you are talking about Pilgrim?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2005, 02:29 »
Your best bet is shacking up with several others at a winter beach house.  We managed to get one for 2000 dollars a month between the four of us.  Monumet Beach is only minutes away and cheaper than Plymouth itself.

deconcuddles

« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:38 »
When I was there a few years ago, I stayed in Buzzards Bay.  There is quite a few motels and kitchenetts there.  The drive to the plant wasn't to bad either.  Pasted a few grocery stores on the way to pick up supper while working nights.  The prices weren't to bad then either.  Stayed at the Herring Run Motel.  Clean and the people were nice and worked with you on whatever shift you were on.

LaFeet

« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2005, 10:10 »
I managed to slide into Pilgrim after IP3's last outage.  What a change of scenery, both from a local view and the rad point of view.   I would love to go back to Pilgrim, perhaps even become a house tech there... the cost of housing prohibits this currently.

I am eagerly awaiting to see how Entergy incorporates all of the local and Corporate procedures / policies as they straddle the Mason-Dixon line. ???

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:44 »
As a former long-term contractor ( #@!$ Cones!! is what they called us) and house tech, I guess I have a good perspective on one of the most unique plants in the country. There's no denying the fact that it's a wrecking ball for contractors, but let me tell ya...it wasn't any day at the beach for house folk either! Still, I can fondly recall working with some of the best, funniest and craziest people in the business. I don't keep in touch with the folks back there, but I have (mostly) great memories. Also, the area is great if you have the time to spend getting to know the people and out-of-the-way places.

Oh, and Rapid...I was there and I still remember your "agreement"....
"Y'all don't understand...I'm Rapid Ray, and Rapid Ray don't DO dayshift!"
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Hobber

« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2006, 02:20 »
Hello,
Just interviewed for RP Tech position.  Looking for current info for cost of housing and/or cheapest areas within a reasonable commute (say 45 Min.).  Also any current facility info would be apprepriated.  Thanks in advance

LA (Hobber) Hobson

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:07 »
Housing in Rhode Island isn't too bad!

LaFeet

« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:24 »
Housing in Rhode Island isn't too bad!

I think I will just rent in Monumet Beach when I am up there again.....great view and more time for food, beer, wine and all those other off time activities 8)

LaFeet

« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2006, 04:57 »
I managed to run into former Pilgrim techs and management prior to my working in Plymouth.  And the dirt I have gotten on them from Pilgrim is priceless.  I can not wait to work with those characters again.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2006, 06:43 »
Lafeet ,I know you and hamsamich like pilgram because you guys are close to P-TOWN.
JUST JOKING BUDDIE

LaFeet

« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:06 »
Hey NIMROD...I have to travel all the way from Okie land just to go back there...Thats how much fun I had last time 
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006, 10:28 by LaFeet »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:49 »
Watch out for RadBastard sneaking up behind you in the men's locker room at Calvert!  I can't believe his nukeworker thing says "very heavy user".  It should still say "Lurker".

LaFeet

« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:14 »
Watch out for RadBastard sneaking up behind you in the men's locker room at Calvert!  I can't believe his nukeworker thing says "very heavy user".  It should still say "Lurker".

You boys need to grow up...... besides, Caveman is getting jealous

LaFeet

« Reply #48 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:51 »
Just try and get me out of the British Beer Company

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #49 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:47 »
Don't hafta try.  The bars close at midnight in "America's Hometown".
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2006, 05:19 »
The one in BBC Cedarville stayed open later..... just down the road from where I was staying

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #51 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:01 »
Don't hafta try.  The bars close at midnight in "America's Hometown".

Wrong.

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:34 »
We just posted 3 jobs here at Pilgrim as of 4/24/06 if anyone is interested....

Nuke Lifer

« Reply #53 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:38 »
You guys are stirring up some memories for me.!
I went to Pilgrim in 81, my first time away from home, supposedly for a 3 month outage. I was finally paroled in 1986 ad haven't been back since.
Working for Chem-Nuc, we had the joy of processing, packaging and shipping over 280,000 ft3 of waste while I was there. Scabs we were. After about two years of getting verbally abused, 12 hours a day, six dats a week, I finally made peace with the union boys. Eventually, they came to sit on my front porch on Manomet Point at lunchtime to enjoy the view and down a sixer.....each. Better than having a liquid lunch in your car.

The radwaste 'truck' bay was a nuclear nightmare! When you walked in there, puffs of DE dust flew up into the air. Liners would float inside of the shields from being over-flowed. I spent hours and hours full dress and face pump in that hell-hole de-watering liners. 4,999 mr/yr. every year for three years straight, give or take a few mr's.

There was a trailer on site that was staffed 24/7. Wisp was the game, 24/7 as well, always full of players and watchers.
Anyone remember baby-powder filled glove liner bombs?
Is Dana Corbett still around?

Once I left Pilgrim after five years, I had been Best man at three weddings, and made many friends in, and mostly outside the plant, that I still try to keep in touch with. Cape Codders can be a little gruff at first, but after they take you in, your friends for life. I will always consider Plymouth my second 'home'. Did a lot of growing up there and learned a lot of things. Maybe the bad examples worked out well in the long run.

One regret, I wish I had bought three or four of those salt box houses on Whithorse Beach for the $30,000 asking price back then. I wouldn't be typing this now if I had!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Miiiiserable at Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:51 »
Sorry to hear about the people problems...but you are right. I'm a native of that area, and it's not just the weather that is cold. My family was "the new neighbors" for about 20 years.....such is that awd society called New England.  ::)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermione

« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:50 »
Sorry to here you are miserable.  I heard hoe lousy things would be in Jersey and I have found it to be quite the opposite.  The job may not be the greatest but the shore is nice as are most of the people.  As a fellow Masshole born and bred I can only suggest that you give it some time.  It may sem a little cold but not everyone came over in the boat (my sister has us coming over on my Dad's mother's side and needs only one more confirmed piece of documentation to certify).  I lived there for two years and loved it.  With the amount the area has grown in the last 10 years I hope the diverisity of people has expanded.  Good luck!  Wish I was at Pilgrim, better yet VY.
Fermione

roadhard

« Reply #56 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:45 »
I can't help but to throw in on this one.

Sweetie, - you would have thought a World Series Championship would have turned those frowns upside down - but nah - these are the same people who are so miserable they want us to be miserable too - so they vote Ted Kennedy into office term after term after term.

There are lots of plants out there looking for people - and in 8 or 9 years - they'll really be looking for people. But why wait that long - put MA in the rear view mirror now.

nukewood

« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:36 »
I am a very positive and optimistic person, but I left the best paying house tech job at Pilgrim over 20 years ago to save my children from the " attitude " that they started bringing home from  school. My boss informed me that if you stopped and looked both ways at a red light it was considered a sign of weakness.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:29 »
My boss informed me that if you stopped and looked both ways at a red light it was considered a sign of weakness.

"Don't make eye contact with the driver on the side road" That was one of the first things I was told when I got there and it was true, once you made eye contact they pulled out in front of you and stopping was your problem.

Bethlehemstar, I only spent a year there but have to say I enjoyed it including the people. The locals are a little narrow and anal about change which leaves roads with four times the traffic that it was designed for. Next time you can use nukeworker prior to making a desicion. ;)

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:31 »
sorry to hear how bad it is up thar, but it has to be better than raising a family on outage work...

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #60 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:11 »
well...sorry but they call 'em M-ASSHOLES for a reason.
The plant sux too but that would be "off topic".

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #61 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:33 »
I have to say it reminds me of my first stay in that area... when I got ready to leave there I told the locals that I know why they are such rude a_holes... that if I had to live there all the time I would be mad at the world too... but I do agree with Fermione that VY is a great place... totally different breed of Yankees up there... they just talk kinda funny! Good Luck and hope things get better!

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
« Reply #62 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:45 »
I was stationed in rotten Grotten Ct  so I know what M-holes are like.  I turned down that job just because of the area. I would not subject my family to that kind of living conditions. 

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:03 »
Hey we should be fair about this bashing the New Englanders thing after all if we slam on them to hard they will start to feel bad and move south, which will qualify them for DAMN Yankee status.  Besides there are some good people up there, well ya most of them are from other parts of the country,,, aww hell never mind, I would'nt go there either.

Rob

PS The only good thing I got in Groton was my wife and she was actually from Fl (Dad retired from Navy there, eventually they along with rest of her family they moved back south, so I do not even have to travel north of the MANSON NIXION line anymore!! 
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2006, 12:04 by ChiefRocscooter »
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline earlbear11

• Very Lite User
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:47 »
 maybe you should not have applied for the job???

alphadude

« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:51 »
yep in general new england sucks, it is a society of consumers and how much money you can spend to look good. the area is beautiful but tooo many people stuck in their ways..  go west- the farther away you are from new england and the belt way of washington the better off you are- Then you can see what America is about..

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:06 »
Man, what a bunch of ignorant comments!  That's like saying every one down south chews tobacco and watches NASCAR. How many "rude, damn yankees" are holding a gun to your head to keep you from quitting?

alphadude

« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2006, 12:22 »
the voice of experience usually doesnt mean ignorance- which means a lack of knowledge.  i would say that the statements are more prejudice with little to no ignorance demonstrated actually.

Besides we don't really care how they do it on long island. 

Offline Llama

• License Termination Manager
  • Moderate User
  • Have you hugged a llama today?
« Reply #68 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:03 »
That's like saying every one down south chews tobacco and watches NASCAR.

Hey Shine! Ya forgot about the Fishin Channel  lol

Take care my friend

See ya this weekend MARSSIM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:36 »
Well, I really just want to whine.  And maybe someone out there can make me feel better about this.
Well, I did whine, and I do apologize for that. And I did get some sympathy (which I think is all I was really looking for, and it made me feel better!)

Those of us men who have been married successfully for a long period of time have been educated (beaten down and whipped for you single men) and recognize venting. We know these are "Yes Dear" moments, but sometimes the devil makes us give our wives real advice. I hope this venting session helped and that you find the people there are fundamentally like any one else. My perception of those in high population densities is that they are suspicious of overly friendly people, but make very good friends once they get to know you. You don't have to wonder what someone from Boston thinks. they will tell you. I am from the midwest and found that I had to make an adjustment to New Englanders and Southerners. Good luck and enjoy yourself there is plenty to do in Boston and out on the Cape.

alphadude

« Reply #70 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:03 »
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:19 »
Having worked there for quite a bit of time and having married a local, My opinion is that there's no "secret word or funny handshake". I quickly came to the realization that while certain areas of the country consider the behavior of New Englanders to be rude, THEY believe that they are showing a "polite reserve". They are just as confused by the outgoing familiarity that Southerners and Mid-Westerers feel is normal. Once I realized this, I started treating the locals with (to my mind) a stand-off attitude until the person got to know me. Once I was known and accepted, the friendships I made there have lasted almost 30 years now.

Having said that, I understand how it would be hard for a single mom to be out in the community meeting and interacting with locals...and I mean locals, not plant folk... but until you do, I'm afraid you're stuck being the newbie. Hope things get better for you, as the good parts of the area are incredible.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

alphadude

« Reply #72 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:11 »
yep it cold up thar more ways than one...

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:10 »
Talk about Pilgrim thread???

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #74 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:28 »
Talk about Pilgrim thread???

As you wish ;D

Sounds like the logical place to be a this point... ::)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #75 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:31 »
Oh , don't listen to Hoppe, he's probably wearing his Chubs Tie thinking about how nice Matsusaka would've looked in a Cubs shirt!!!!!  Ho Pat.... hope all is well with you...went fishing with Bronicki this past summer and had a ball...R U still consulting?????  Shine

Vic Vega

« Reply #76 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:53 »
You mentioned that "a good portion of the blame does lay with me."  Maybe you ought to delve a little further into that statement instead of blaming everyone else for your misery.  You also must be quite "narrow" to make such sweeping generalizations that "these are the most narrow people I have ever met" and that "if your ancestors didn't step off the Mayflower, then they don't want you here."  Sounds as if you are no better than the people you are describing.  New Englanders may appear cold and rude, but once you get to know them, they have incredibly warm hearts.  From my past experiences, workers at Pilgrim go far out of their way to make people, whether you are an ex-Navy nuke or just not from the area, as comfortable and welcome as possible.  Perhaps it is your approach that is faulty.  One thing New Englanders (and most considerate people, I would imagine) will not tolerate is a person that is condescending and "Holier than Thou".  If this sounds like you, you may want to try re-evaluating your strategy.  The only "secret code word to get into the club" is a smile, some sincerity and most importantly, humility.  A little of that goes a long way.  Try it out and let me know how it works.  Sounds like you've got nothing to lose.  And if its sympathy that you want, you've definitely moved to the wrong area. 

Offline nickthestick

• Light User
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game!!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:31 »
I also married a local, or two there, the second has worked out 1000 times better than the first. What I can tell you coming from the midwest, and living there for 14 years, is that if you give it time, and are open minded, the people are great, the area is beautiful, and that you too may eventually fall in love with it. My personal opinion, but I felt out of place when I first moved there too, for about 6 months. Just stay open minded, and consider yourself more fortunate than many other people, for landing a great job. Now that I'm not there, I try and get back afew times a year for our vacations. And a quick shout out to Shine, miss ya man!

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #78 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:48 »
Sorry I missed you at Bronicki's this past summer Nick, I think you were in Chicago. Any new additions??? Take care....

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #79 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:55 »
well one can't downplay the fact that Pilgrim ranks right up there with Oyster Creek 8)

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #80 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:59 »
Well, as long as adolecent heavy metal worshippers stay away, I don't think anyone at Pilgrim really cares what others have to say about the place.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:31 »
well...i remember you when you were a rocker at IP. so leave the music out!
The plant (Pilgrim) still sux IMHO. The thread is talk about pilgrim, Pilgrim!

go-lsu-fan

« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:55 »
Anyone know of a place to stay around this area please let me know................Dennis

LaFeet

« Reply #83 on: Mar 11, 2007, 03:28 »
Pilgrim, while small, does  not suck.  The people at the plant were  great and I had a ball.  Hey Shine,  this here Reb isa coming back for another round.  Without the chew, and no NASCAR here. 

I favor the smaller plants, and the change of seasons.  As to who thinks what.... to each their own.   Just dont dump because you cant adapt.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #84 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:49 »
When I was there (about 100 years ago) I got along very well with the locals, loved the area (except for winter which was AWFUL)  and the plant still ranks among the worst 2 or 3 I have ever been to (out of about 30 or so). The dose rates were outrageous (pegged a teletector several times outside the drywell), the contamination levels were by far the worst I have ever seen (15 REM gamma on a smear, and widely spread) and most of the house techs would have had to come up several levels to be considered anything but arrogant and downright mean... and I am trying hard to be polite. Other than that it was a great place to work. I hope things there have changed, but it would take a lot to get me to go back to find out.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:03 »
hum..from the looks of the polls...average or BELOW...Seems just about right from when i was there in '97...BTW ..it sucked then!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 »
the polls don't account for people who worked there in the 80s vs people in near past, so how do we know many of the people rating Pilgrim aren't doing if from a 20 year old experience.  I say this because I was there in 05 and liked it very much.  Anzalone and Fitzy, what up!  Steve was the man too...thanks for hooking me up with that job man!  Pilgrim rocked, lately.....

LaFeet

« Reply #87 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:11 »
 There is still a large number of local "Off Season" rentals near the plant on various sites:

www.vbro.com
 www.cyberrental.com

These are just two that I use often.

Good luck and see you there.... I believe I am drywell bound (again)  ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #88 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:39 »
Currently here at Pilgrim, and while it seems to be a fluster cluck,   it is still enjoyable to be here......... and no facial percons on my watch (yet).   Looks like I owe a lot of people a beer :P

And yeah,  I'll definitely come back for the next outage :)
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 06:40 by LaFeet »

LaFeet

« Reply #89 on: Apr 20, 2007, 05:58 »
I told them I had a Plasma Cutter for that pump seal....... now if they can just pass a few Nozzle ISI's we could get an outage started.   Still love it here.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #90 on: Apr 20, 2007, 07:55 »
Sorry, can't do plasma on stainless anymore.  Look for a lot of changes with welding and cutting.  Lots of sucking rubber for a few years.

LaFeet

« Reply #91 on: Apr 24, 2007, 03:52 »
Thats okay with me Beercourt... I was just offering anyway.  We finally got the darn thingie out, and its going back together finally.  Just some two weeks behind now...

fntstk4

« Reply #92 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:24 »
can you guys tell me what schedule the operators are on?  8s/12s?  rotation?

thanks...

LaFeet

« Reply #93 on: Apr 25, 2007, 06:24 »
There's no operators here......   oh you mean the guys who hang tags :P

I believe they are on 12 hour shifts.... I could be wrong.

LaFeet

« Reply #94 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:37 »
Outage layoff list has hit the fan..... most leave Saturday the 28th.

And the drywell is still open.......  these house techs gonna be busy bees soon.

Would love to stay, but VY isa callin

fntstk4

« Reply #95 on: Apr 28, 2007, 09:48 »
thanks much

i applied for an AO spot, just trying to get my ducks in a row...figure out what i'm potentially in for

LaFeet

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17 »
thanks much

i applied for an AO spot, just trying to get my ducks in a row...figure out what i'm potentially in for
Got word today   fuel done movin   however....  that N2K nozzle just being a bast3RD..... and the tubine and condy bay still looks like Iraq on  bad day.....

Hey Brian   Mickey   I am available to go back after VY  I could always get more beer....maybe Shine will let me stay with him???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:36 by LaFeet »

LaFeet

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34 »
Any word on Pilgrim????   I am working on my second week at VY

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2007, 11:26 »
Sorry, can't do plasma on stainless anymore.  Look for a lot of changes with welding and cutting.  Lots of sucking rubber for a few years.

Why is it you can't use plasma on stainless ? Just curious.
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06 »
Why is it you can't use plasma on stainless ? Just curious.

They're tightening the regulations on hexavalent chromium: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hexavalentchromium/index.html
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2007, 12:39 »
Let me clarify my earlier statement.
You can use a PAC on stainless, but the airborne Hex Chrome is about 30 micrograms per cubic meter.  This is 6 times the PEL.  Even in a respirator, you would have to track the hours of exposure, take air samples, use HEPA ventillation, have medical evaluations done .... yada, yada, yada.
Lately, TIG welding is the only weld process that doesn't allow for the oxydation of Chromium to Cr-VI.  Maybe dual-shield flux core as well, but I haven't looked into that yet.  SMAW (stick) welding is almost as bad as the plasma arc cutting according to the air samples I have seen.
Since they lowered the PEL from 50 to 5 ug/m3, the world of stainless work has gotten a lot harder to navigate.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58 »
And every facility has their on interpretation of these new guidelines, making it even harder for the world of stainless cutting and welding.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

LaFeet

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2007, 10:14 »
And every facility has their on interpretation of these new guidelines, making it even harder for the world of stainless cutting and welding.

I thought all you needed was a blow dryer, half face mask, and a lot of acetylene ::)

larsorad

« Reply #103 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:02 »
This isn't really any response to a positive or negative posting about pilgrim, but the plant is a good place to work full time. There will most likely be a few house tech positions being posted here very soon. In the past, we've hired techs who were familiar freinds of present house tech's and  that has turned out well.  What the heck , send in a resume. We are a factor (or so, we like to think) in who gets the nod. Our staffing #'s are small and we could use some help. ::)

Blaxmas

Applying to Pilgrim? Help!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:08 »
Hey, people.  This is my first post on the nukeworker forums.  I've had my 2nd class fireman's license for a few months and have zero success finding a job.  I'm interested in applying at Pilgrim but I cannot even find a WEBSITE for Pilgrim.  When I search "pilgrim nuclear" (or something similar) it just brings up a bunch of sites PROTESTING it!  All these power plants these days require that you apply through their website.  Anyone know the pilgrim site URL or how to apply?  Thanks!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Applying to Pilgrim? Help!
« Reply #105 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:22 »
Hey, people.  This is my first post on the nukeworker forums.  I've had my 2nd class fireman's license for a few months and have zero success finding a job.  I'm interested in applying at Pilgrim but I cannot even find a WEBSITE for Pilgrim.  When I search "pilgrim nuclear" (or something similar) it just brings up a bunch of sites PROTESTING it!  All these power plants these days require that you apply through their website.  Anyone know the pilgrim site URL or how to apply?  Thanks!

Pilgrim is part ofthe Entergy system -
Entergy posts their jobs right here on Nukeworker

The website is www.entergy.com for the company page.

Good Luck, most of the fire brigade is covered by plant operators though....
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

ookiewookie

« Reply #106 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:19 »
Pilgrim is my favorite place to work.  Well, this one and Comanche Peak.  House techs and most other departments are friendly.  The plant is small and easy to learn your way around.  I'm not too crazy about it being an Entergy plant as I think Entergy does not treat its employees terribly well.  But overall, a great place to work and above all I like its location location location. 

Fermi2

« Reply #107 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:22 »
I had heard at one time Pilgrim was a dose trap, is that still true?

Motown homey

« Reply #108 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:09 »
I had heard at one time Pilgrim was a dose trap, is that still true?

They've been better over the last five or six years, but last year had some problems during their outage.  They just put in Noble metals and expect a big boost from that for dose control.

LaFeet

« Reply #109 on: Apr 06, 2008, 09:55 »
Dose was down by a Large factor for last outage.....hoping to go there in the Spring.

Hey Shine... Brian, whats going on out there????  Ive been asked to go there in May???

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:37 »
Pilgrim is part ofthe Entergy system -
Entergy posts their jobs right here on Nukeworker

The website is www.entergy.com for the company page.

Good Luck, most of the fire brigade is covered by plant operators though....

A second class fireman's license has nothing to do with firefighting.  It is a license to operate a boiler.  Most fossil plants hire people with Stationary Engineer and Fireman Licenses but nukes do not unless they transfer over from a fossil unit.  Then, of course, their licenses become useless.
Firefighters put out fires - firemen keep them going!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #111 on: Apr 07, 2008, 02:47 »
A second class fireman's license has nothing to do with firefighting.  It is a license to operate a boiler.  Most fossil plants hire people with Stationary Engineer and Fireman Licenses but nukes do not unless they transfer over from a fossil unit.  Then, of course, their licenses become useless.
Firefighters put out fires - firemen keep them going!
Thank you for the info Obi-wan, technical terminology and the english language can be confusing.  :)

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #112 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:18 »
Was told that the Pilgrim job listed was for strike contingency. They want people trained to come in and work in case there is one.

What's up?

ramdog_1

« Reply #113 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:32 »
  I do not know what is going on it is a hard choice to make but we are not coming from the hall.
what to do I liked it there been there years ago. If I could go I would be  there had fun down at white horse beach. it was the last time I seen Dirty Murdy and Bill Thew. where are they now?

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008, 04:54 by ramdog_1 »

LaFeet

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12 »
Sounds like everything is running a bit smoother -  the strike being averted.  Hope the best for youse guys and dolls up there.  I expect to see you all in the spring.

Motown homey

« Reply #115 on: Jun 16, 2008, 01:42 »
Organizational Announcement from Pilgrom Communications Staff

On Monday, June 23rd,  John ‘Jack’ Priest will be joining the Pilgrim team to take on the role of Radiological Protection Manager.

Jack comes to us from Fermi 2, Detroit Edison, where he has held both the positions of Radiation Protection Manager and Radiation Protection Superintendent.  His experience includes assignments at First Energy, Davis Besse and Perry Nuclear Power Stations, Westinghouse Hanford, and United Nuclear Corp.  Jack hails from Boston and is a graduate of Lowell University with a Bachelor of Science in Radiological Health Physics.

There will be a transition period before Jack fully assumes the RPM responsibilities; I expect turnover to be complete by early July.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank Bill Mauro, and Tom McElhinney, who have helped lead the RP Department this year and have worked diligently to help all of us be successful and safe radiation workers.

Please welcome Jack as he begins his assignment as a new member of our Pilgrim team. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #116 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:52 »
Good Restaurants:

Wood's Fish...at the north end of the waterfront, by the fishing charter boats.   Wood's is also a fish market, so you can check out the seafood before you order it.  I recommend the grilled swordfish, but the fried fish & scallops are good, too.  (Note:  downtown Plymouth & the waterfront are a zoo on the weekends...try Wood's for lunch or early supper on a weekday...they close at 7pm on weekdays during the winter.)

Bangna Gardens (Thai food)...take exit 9 (Kingston) and head west...you go maybe a couple of miles...it's on the right as soon as you cross the railroad tracks (across from the post office).  I've been eating Thai food for 20 years & Bangna Gardens is the most consistently good-to-great Thai cooking I've found.  We're trying to sample everything on the menu - about halfway through it.  Everything has been good, but I especially recommend the pineapple soup & tamarind duck.

....and, a bit further afield, Antonio's in New Bedford has great Portuguese food!  (Try the chicken Antonio.)  267 Coggeshall St...take the Coggeshall exit and hang a left...Antonio's is a couple of lights down on the right.

And if you make it to Fall River, try the Waterstreet Cafe for dinner & catch a show at Narrows Center for the Arts...both are located under the bridge by Battleship Cove & the Maritime Museum, so easy to find.

Boston:  I like to stop for dim sum at Hei La Moon...88 Beach St just outside Chinatown (across from the arch).  Very authentic (95% of the clientele & wait-staff won't be speaking English)...and a great value...easy to feed 4 people for $25.  And then wander over to Chinatown and have a bubble tea for dessert.

Honorable mention:  The Indian place & Thai place in downtown Plymouth are above average, but over-priced.  The gourmet Brazilian place in North Plymouth has an interesting buffet (plus churrasco meat on the weekends).

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009, 08:19 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23 »
Kiskadee Coffee downtown makes some kickass panini.  Try the chicken pesto.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #118 on: Jun 18, 2009, 11:55 »
Good Restaurants:

Wood's Fish...at the north end of the waterfront, by the fishing charter boats.   Wood's is also a fish market, so you can check out the seafood before you order it.  I recommend the grilled swordfish, but the fried fish & scallops are good, too.  (Note:  downtown Plymouth & the waterfront are a zoo on the weekends...try Wood's for lunch or early supper on a weekday...they close at 7pm on weekdays during the winter.)

Bangna Gardens (Thai food)...take exit 9 (Kingston) and head west...you go maybe a couple of miles...it's on the right as soon as you cross the railroad tracks (across from the post office).  I've been eating Thai food for 20 years & Bangna Gardens is the most consistently good-to-great Thai cooking I've found.  We're trying to sample everything on the menu - about halfway through it.  Everything has been good, but I especially recommend the pineapple soup & tamarind duck.

....and, a bit further afield, Antonio's in New Bedford has great Portuguese food!  (Try the chicken Antonio.)  267 Coggeshall St...take the Coggeshall exit and hang a left...Antonio's is a couple of lights down on the right.

And if you make it to Fall River, try the Waterstreet Cafe for dinner & catch a show at Narrows Center for the Arts...both are located under the bridge by Battleship Cove & the Maritime Museum, so easy to find.

Boston:  I like to stop for dim sum at Hei La Moon...88 Beach St just outside Chinatown (across from the arch).  Very authentic (95% of the clientele & wait-staff won't be speaking English)...and a great value...easy to feed 4 people for $25.  And then wander over to Chinatown and have a bubble tea for dessert.

Honorable mention:  The Indian place & Thai place in downtown Plymouth are above average, but over-priced.  The gourmet Brazilian place in North Plymouth has an interesting buffet (plus churrasco meat on the weekends).

Hei La Moon only serves Dim Sum until about 2:30pm...as I found to my dismay the other afternoon...  :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #119 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:04 »
Pilgram. In this area you can buy cranberry pancakes. From experience I can tell you there are two foods that never should be mixed together. Those are cranberries and pancakes. What were these people thinking?
No one gets out alive.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #120 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:36 »
Good Restaurants:

Add Carmela's (Italian...Kingston @ exit 9) to the list of great food!  I haven't had anything off their menu that wasn't tasty & well-prepared...

...and the British Beer Company in Cedarville (exit 2) actually has decent pizza (the New York style, not the pub style) to go with their wide beer selection.  And the salads are very nice, also.  The rest the food is generic, at best.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #121 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:27 »
what?  have you tried this place.....obviously not.

Blue-Eyed Crab Grille And Raw Bar

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: Feb 13, 2010, 11:31 »
what?  have you tried this place.....obviously not.

Blue-Eyed Crab Grille And Raw Bar

Never even heard of it...but it's almost lunch time, so guess we'll head down there now...I'll let you know what I think...

Oh...another place that's worth a stop, if you are up towards Quincy, is Firefly's.  Best barbecue joint I've found north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Take the Furnace Brook exit and head towards Quincy...it's on the northwest corner of Furnace Brook & Adams, behind the gas station.   We had dinner there last night and stuck with our standby meal of pulled pork with Memphis sauce, pan-seared vegetables, & sweet potato pecan pudding...but they have about 6 barbecue sauces, 50 hot sauces, 2 kinds of ribs, 2 kinds of brisket....  :)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #123 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:21 »
Heading up to Pilgrim for First Line Supervisor interview....

...any idea what a nuclear dept supervisor makes ballpark?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #124 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:44 »
Heading up to Pilgrim for First Line Supervisor interview....

...any idea what a nuclear dept supervisor makes ballpark?

$110K +/-10%...and that is just a best guess, because I haven't looked at a posting in about a year...

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #125 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:36 »
Chemistry Supervisor

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #126 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:26 »
Another place for Italian (if you are headed north) is Pacini's.  Exit 13 (Route 53 - Hanover Mall exit ) off 3...go away from mall...it's in that first shop complex on the right (it's too upscale to be a strip mall, but...).  Not much for ambiance, but the food is great...I especially recommend the grilled items.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 11:30 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #127 on: Apr 09, 2010, 07:21 »
well buf?  how about the blue-eyed?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #128 on: Apr 09, 2010, 11:42 »
well buf?  how about the blue-eyed?

I haven't had to go back.  I think it has a wonderful idea, with poor execution. 

I haven't completely crossed it off the list, because it was lunch when I went, and sometimes the good chef is the evening chef.  When your massage therapist took me to lunch there the preparation was average and/or over salted.

Also, they may have changed management since you were here.  How were portion/price ratios then?  Now, everything seems either under-sized, or over-priced...?

Anyway, it's nice to see a place trying to serve interesting, well-thought-out cuisine, so I will probably give them another shot at a future date...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #129 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:00 »

There are some really great people at the plant and I reached a truce with the others, so was able to make my own fun.  

I would still be working Pilgrim, if family issues hadn't come up.  

BUT, I would NEVER recommend the plant to someone who wasn't from the area.

I'm from the area..... and I'm not sure I would like it there....

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #130 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:10 »
I can put up with just about anything to have all that fishing so close by.  I spent almost two years there quite awhile ago, I thought it was great. 
LM

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #131 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:49 »
I've never been to Pilgrim,...

but from what conversations I have had, if shine is there it can't be all bad,.... 8)

word brother shine,......word  8)

One ray of "Shine" would make it liveable... 8)

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #132 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:42 »
Beleive it or not, PNPS is nothing like it was in the past. It's a very good place to work and the area is nice although winters are just too long. We even get about 75% returnees for our outages now!! Although I'm sure Massachusetts unemplyment plays into that somewhat.

Sun Dog

« Reply #133 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:45 »
Beleive it or not, PNPS is nothing like it was in the past. It's a very good place to work and the area is nice although winters are just too long. We even get about 75% returnees for our outages now!! Although I'm sure Massachusetts unemplyment plays into that somewhat.

Sounds like someone has season tickets to Sox, Pats, Celts and Bruins!

Offline shiine8

• Light User
  • it aint pretty
« Reply #134 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:29 »
Just the Bruins!!!! Pats season is too cold, Sox season is either too cold, too hot or too wet and Celtic season is just too damned expensive!!

LaFeet

« Reply #135 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:57 »
Heck I'd go there if they'd have me..... I enjoyed each day I worked there in the past

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?