Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu WIFI - Wireless - Wired - Internet Access - Goose Creek - A School - Navy NF

Author Topic: WIFI - Wireless - Wired - Internet Access - Goose Creek - A School - Navy NF  (Read 12011 times)

dad

WIFI - Wireless - Wired - Internet Access - Goose Creek - A School - Navy NF

NF ( Nuclear Field ) A Schools & Navy Nuclear Power School co-located
and part of  NNPTC  ( Navy Nuclear Power Training Command )
Goose Creek, SC  just North of Charleston, South Carolina

What  are  the  Internet  Access  options  for  students  attending
the  Navy Nuclear Field  - A  Schools – at Goose Creek,  SC ?

************   Executive  Summary of Responses Below    *************

Internet Service is NOT provided by the school  in the BEQs ( Dorms )
NOR is it provided by the School in the Day Rooms / Common areas
incorporated into the BEQs ( Dorms ).

Internet Service IS provided in the "Rec Room",
both common use computers and WIFI for student (privately owned) laptops,
these Internet Access options are provided by the school in the "Rec Room"
for student use.

The "Rec Room"  is  in a separate building from the BEQs ( Dorms )
and has limits on the hours it is open and available for student use.

Students may pay for Comcast Cable to install internet in their BEQ bedrooms
as part of a package which costs approximately $40 per month.

Students may need to provide their own wireless router to enjoy
WIFI as part of the Comcast Cable provided Internet.

Students currently do all of the above and it does not appear to conflict
with any known Command Policy or Regulation.

Thanks to Shocker, Yota and Blue for providing the information below.

Any Errors in this executive summary are mine alone ( dad ).

This summary and this topic refers ONLY to the residential and recreational areas
of the  NF A Schools  and the  Nuclear Power School.

Internet and Computer access in the more restricted classroom, tutoring and independent study
areas of the Schools are NOT addressed by THIS TOPIC.

Is  there  WIFI or wireless  access  available in common areas or in their rooms  ?

Any  Internet  Access  on  base  outside the classroom  areas  were they can use
Personal   laptops ?

(  It is my understanding  they  can NOT  take  laptops  in, or out, of class room areas )

Any  McDonalds or Sheri’s  or  other places in walking distance with WIFI available  ?

Any  Internet  Kiosks available  to the  students?

Any  other  way  within  walking  distance  of  the BEQs  where they can access  the internet
to  accomplish both  military related,  and non-military related personal  business online

such as online banking and military pay management ?  

Even if they do not use their personal laptop to do it, is their a way?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

For  the  record  several  hours  were expended researching  this  and other questions
before creating this new topic.

Superb  forum  by  the  way.   Nice  balance  between  open  communications
and moderation.  Thanks to the moderators for their time.

Thanks  Again,

dad of a Recruit in the NF Pipeline

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 09:00 by NF Dad »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
There is a large complex very near to the barracks portion of Nuke school.  It has a food court(albeit it only has a pizza place and an A&W in it) and a large game room.  The game room has computers in it that students can use to get onto the internet.  I do not know about Wi-Fi as in it hadn't been invented yet when I was a student.  Most people that had computers used in room phones and their modems.  There is a McDonalds close to base, but not exactly close walking distance to the school. 

As far as Wi-Fi now, best find someone that is currently a student or staff member there. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

shocker

As far as open Wi-Fi - it is available... in the "rec" room away from the barracks.  In the rooms, or common areas of the barracks it is not available - unless someone has an unsecured wireless connection (few do... its a school of nerds, we know how to set that up :-P).

That being said it seems the biggest concern is free internet access, however I would highly recommend the package comcast offers to students for internet and BASIC cable.  They have a special package for the base and a special representative that brings the equipment and sets up the accounts.  They do a lot of business with the students, and know how to get things done quickly.  It runs about 40 a month, but your son/daughter will likely have 3 suitemates, and the convenience of not having to spend time walking somewhere else is worth $10 a month to most.  Personally I'd even spend the entire $40 but I like to be able to chat on a webcam with friends and family in semi-privacy rather than in an open game room with restricted hours.

All this being said - you should have your child ask these questions to their fellow students or SLPO if theyre already down here!  The information is definitely presented early in your stay, and I have yet to meet someone not willing to help.  It's also never too soon to network...

Offline yota

• Moderate User
As stated, there is free wi-fi in the game room in the Bowman Center, as well as a number of computers, x-boxes, pool tables, and ping-pong tables which are almost always broken or in use. It is very much worth it to spend the $40/month for your own internet and cable as it allows you to use these things without wasting valuable time waiting for a computer or for someone to turn the channel to something you want to watch. There is a TV lounge in each of the barracks buildings with furniture for lounging as well. Outside of these options, the Dive has computers as well if I remember correctly. I honestly don't go there often though.

If you or your sailor have any more specific questions about NNPTC or Goose Creek, feel free to ask me. I've been here since June and know my way around pretty well.

dad

As far as open Wi-Fi - it is available... in the "rec" room away from the barracks.  In the rooms, or common areas of the barracks it is not available - unless someone has an unsecured wireless connection ... I would highly recommend the package comcast offers to students for internet and BASIC cable.  They have a special package for the base and a special representative that brings the equipment and sets up the accounts.  ....  It runs about 40 a month  ...

Wow shocker.  That is a lot of good information.  Thanks  for taking the time.

Wi-Fi is important in this inquiry, but for a different reason.

Does the NNPT Command have a policy against the
students  use of WI-FI in the dorms  ?

Is Comcast able to install a WIFI option with the Command's approval ?

Or, are students able to attach a WIFI hub to a WIRED port on the Comcast router without violating Regs ?

The answer being hoped  for here is that an  existing laptop ( which is 100BT challenged )
can be used with Comcast internet access account, and a Comcast supplied WIFI router, or an add on self supplied WIFI router, without violating Command Policy or Regulations.

Some colleges have had problems with collisions between student's personal WI-FI
and the colleges' own WIFI network in the dorms,  but that does not appear to be a concern here.

In any event, thanks for taking the time for the previous response.

Thanks Again Shocker

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 09:06 by NF Dad »

Offline yota

• Moderate User
Does the NNPT Command have a policy against the
students  use of WI-FI in the dorms  ?
No

Is Comcast able to install a WIFI option with the Command's approval ?
No

Or, are students able to attach a WIFI hub to a WIRED port on the Comcast router without violating Regs ?
Yes

In the case of my incoming student,  who should be there in 33 days,
God and the Recruit Training Command willing,
he has an otherwise high end laptop with
an intermittently working, built in, non-replaceable, 100BT (wired) network adapter,
but a perfectly functioning wireless N adapter.

The answer we are hoping for here is that he can use his existing laptop with a
a Comcast supplied WIFI router, or a self supplied WIFI router, without violating Command Policy or Regulations.
Set up cable service, buy a wireless N router and have fun.

Some colleges have had problems with collisions between student's personal WI-FI
and the colleges' own WIFI network in the dorms,  but that does not appear to be a concern here.
No issues here. The only wireless connections in the barracks are student/occupant supplied.

In any event, thanks for taking the time for the previous response.

And just for the record,
even though this old NCO may think of him differently,
my son is a 21 year old man who knowingly picked a very challenging path
despite his old man's advice to go Air Force  :)

Thanks Again Shocker

shocker

Yota has you covered for the second wave of questions, but its not a problem for the first.  As your son will find out shipmates helping shipmates is in full force down here.  It's going to be a definite culture shock when he leaves Great Lakes :-)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?