Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NR Engineer Interview honeypot

Author Topic: NR Engineer Interview  (Read 7967 times)

The Sandman

NR Engineer Interview
« on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:15 »
Hi, I just wondering if someone might be able to give me a little help with preping for an NR Engineer interview.  I understand the basic questions that are asked during an interview to go conventinal nuke, but it sounds like they really grill the people going in for the NR interviews.  I know that they aim the questions at what you should know (I'm a physics major, so I would not expect to get too many EE questions) but I was wondering if someone who had gone through the interview process might be able to remember the questions they were asked.
Thanks for any help.
-Will
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2006, 08:09 by The Sandman »

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: NR Engineer Interview
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2006, 10:28 »
Not that I ever sat through one but,  I always had the impression it was more about getting a feel for who you are as a person.  The fact you are there means you have the grades/knowledge background to be there, thus no need to aks you to draw a 3-D diagram showing an actual fission event or how to design circuit card that count the number of ions in a cubic foot of vacuum ;)  What they want to know is why you want to be nuc? What make you ticks? Can you handle the pressure?  Old timers tell tale of Rickover used to try and piss guys off just to see how they react!  I have heard he did all kinds of crap to people to see how they reacted.  I would guess if you look hard enough you will find stories saying same.
Two of my faviortes: 
Once told pilot Lt who wanted to convert that he would not take him because while they were eating lunch together the pilot but pepper on his food with out tasting it!  Meant was to set in his way to change (not open minded enough to become nuke)
Once faced an interviewe who told him he was wise to his game and that he could try and piss him off but that it would not work! Rickover said fine then you piss me off or you do not get in!  Story is kid picked up model of Natulis of table in the office and stomped on it >:( >:(.  Rickover cused him out and told him he was in and to get the ____ out of his office now.
(are they true?? I am not sure but they sound cool)

Rob

Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

visserjr

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2006, 07:54 »
OK. I have a little experience here. First a couple of questions for you. Are you in a ROTC unit or STA-21 or other commissioning program? Prior Enlisted? Yes NR does not conduct an interview like a comercial plant. None of my comercial plant intervies asked very technical questions. NR will ask some very pointed and wierd Q's. They will determine if you are placed in 1 of 3 categories. 1 Ops, 2 Maint. 3 NR itself.

The Sandman

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:09 »
I am in NROTC and not prior enlisted.  What's the deal with the categories?  I spoke with someone that recruits for NR and he didn't mention that.  Any idea of what types of questions I might get asked (examples)?  Thanks for your input.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:33 »
I think Visser thought you were going for a civ position vice a commisioned officer spot (which is what you are trying for , right?)
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

The Sandman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:36 »
Yeah, sorry for any confusion, this is all through NROTC for a commissioned position.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006, 08:02 »
When are you going for an interview? I'm on vacation for a couple weeks, but I can ask someone when I get back to work. I talk to those guys occassionally.

The Sandman

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:28 »
My application is in now.  If I get accepted for the interview, I will be going down on 16 OCT.  Thanks a lot for the offer, I appreciate any help you could give me.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2006, 01:17 »
I'll be back in town by the end of August. I'll let you know what they say. Are you applying for the NR Engineer program only, or are you also considering going to sea as a nuke? Sometimes they offer an NR job to the line officer interviewees with good records/interviews as well.

The Sandman

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2006, 01:24 »
As of right now, I am debating between the NR Engineering job and going subs.  They both appeal to me for different reasons.  I was told that they way it works is I would go down to DC for the NR interview and after they show us around on the first day, I can make my decision as to what I will do.  I don't think I will be completely sure of what I will decide until after I get down there. For the time being, I am just trying to gather as much info as I can.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2006, 09:33 »
Sandman,
Do you have a nuke officer at your NROTC unit? He/she'd be a good source for info too. There's a bunch of people at headquarters who administer accession interviews and the questions they ask are varied.  In general, you will be asked a couple questions pertaining to your major and you can count on questions in subjects you struggled with.  For example, I got a C in Calc IV and my first question was to graph a 4th order polynomial. You will have at least two interviews while you are there and maybe even a third.  I'll still check with the people I know to see if you get different questions as an NR Engineer candidate.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2006, 09:22 by War Eagle »

The Sandman

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2006, 02:15 »
War Eagle,
That is much appreciated.  We do have a nuke officer, and he has been very helpful in getting me good information on the program, but he didn't really know much about it to start with and has just been gathering info as we go along.  He didn't know anything about the interview process, so I've just been trying to find out what I can about it.  Once again, thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you after you get a chance to speak with the people that you know.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:37 »
Ok, here's the scoop:

a. You get 3 interviews guaranteed.
b. The interviews are conducted by senior section heads. (let me know if you don't know what that means and I'll explain).
c.  The questions are the same as the fleet candidates get.
d. As an NR Engineer candidate, you will get a lot less coaching during the interview (they'll stare at you blankly until you come up with something).
e. Make sure you spend time reviewing topics from your past classes, especially those you may have done poorly in.

Also, talk with your NROTC Nuke-O; there's a way to request permission to call NR Headquarters directly and get interview tips.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2006, 12:38 by War Eagle »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?