Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Officer or Power School Instructor

Author Topic: Nuke Officer or Power School Instructor  (Read 6729 times)

Arlanthe

Nuke Officer or Power School Instructor
« on: Sep 27, 2009, 01:40 »
Hello,

Thank you to those involved in operating this forum, and everyone who posts responding to people like me.  I have been reading the stories and information here, and it is very informative.  I am interested in opportunities as a Navy Nuke officer (particularly Power School Instructor) and since the body of readers has provided feedback on "special cases" I thought I might throw mine out for consideration.

Straight to the point- I got C's in my calculus and calculus-based physics class series in college.  Also, I had one bad year for various reasons and failed a couple of classes as well.  I turned it around and ended up graduating with an Interdisciplinary B.S. in Physics, Mathematics, and Behavioral Science with a GPA of about 3.2-3.3.  I know those failures and the "C" grades are unacceptable, and I consider it a personal failure.

However, I have come a long way since my college mistakes and mediocrity.  I entered the corporate world and earned a Master's Degree in Science Education (GPA ~3.75), partly on my company's dime.  I advanced in my current company, and was given more responsibility over our technology portfolio, and was even sent by the company to live and work in Europe at a high profile research and technology center for a year on some key projects.  I work now primarily with thermal and optical physics, straddling product development and technical marketing.  (I would be leaving a fully vested job and take a pay cut to serve).  I took the ASVAB and got a perfect score, and I am sure I can do well on the other required physics test at this point.

My humble questions to the experts are 1) will my college grades disqualify me right out? 2) Are post-bachelor's progress and work history taken into account in the selection process?  3) Is there a way to "demonstrate improvement"?  I am considering taking a few advanced math and physics classes, or something like that, with the intention of getting good grades and proving that I have progressed from my youth.

My personal history is solid.  I am physically fit, have no criminal record, have never done any illegal drugs, have great credit, and come from a line of veterans.  My worst offense is a single speeding ticket I got in 2000.  I am approaching the age cutoff, and I feel that if I do not do this I will always regret not having at least tried.

Thank you for your time and your service.

A.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Nuke Officer or Power School Instructor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:57 »
Hello,

Thank you to those involved in operating this forum, and everyone who posts responding to people like me.  I have been reading the stories and information here, and it is very informative.  I am interested in opportunities as a Navy Nuke officer (particularly Power School Instructor) and since the body of readers has provided feedback on "special cases" I thought I might throw mine out for consideration.

Straight to the point- I got C's in my calculus and calculus-based physics class series in college.  Also, I had one bad year for various reasons and failed a couple of classes as well.  I turned it around and ended up graduating with an Interdisciplinary B.S. in Physics, Mathematics, and Behavioral Science with a GPA of about 3.2-3.3.  I know those failures and the "C" grades are unacceptable, and I consider it a personal failure.

However, I have come a long way since my college mistakes and mediocrity.  I entered the corporate world and earned a Master's Degree in Science Education (GPA ~3.75), partly on my company's dime.  I advanced in my current company, and was given more responsibility over our technology portfolio, and was even sent by the company to live and work in Europe at a high profile research and technology center for a year on some key projects.  I work now primarily with thermal and optical physics, straddling product development and technical marketing.  (I would be leaving a fully vested job and take a pay cut to serve).  I took the ASVAB and got a perfect score, and I am sure I can do well on the other required physics test at this point.

My humble questions to the experts are 1) will my college grades disqualify me right out? 2) Are post-bachelor's progress and work history taken into account in the selection process?  3) Is there a way to "demonstrate improvement"?  I am considering taking a few advanced math and physics classes, or something like that, with the intention of getting good grades and proving that I have progressed from my youth.

My personal history is solid.  I am physically fit, have no criminal record, have never done any illegal drugs, have great credit, and come from a line of veterans.  My worst offense is a single speeding ticket I got in 2000.  I am approaching the age cutoff, and I feel that if I do not do this I will always regret not having at least tried.

Thank you for your time and your service.

A.

You can't get accepted if you don't apply. 

That being said, I don't think you are a good candidate.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Arlanthe

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2009, 11:26 »
I understand.  Thank you for being honest.  I'll see what my options are.

Best regards.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2009, 12:06 »
  (I would be leaving a fully vested job and take a pay cut to serve). 

A bird in the hand really IS worth two in the bush. Consider what this adventure would cost you if, for whatever reason, you don't successfully pass through the pipeline. As the recession drags on, those shrinking officer billets will be highly competitive, and not every candidate that applies will be selected.

Depending on your age, if you are still anxious to serve, there are reserve billets out there. One of my former coworkers from nuclear plant operations serves with the Seabees, and another professional I know spent time with SEALs. Check and see what is out there!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2009, 03:30 »
Apply...what's the worse that can happen?

Answer: You'd get accepted. LOL

Perhaps nuke is not for you in terms of your grades and stuff, but if you want to serve, serve, you would be a shoe-in for other officer billets, I imagine.

Good luck.

Arlanthe

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2009, 09:01 »
Jason... good point, I am looking at other opportunities.  Haha, my math skills were always better than the average person, but worse than the average physics student.  Maybe I am not cut out for nuke, but I should fit in somewhere.

The meteorology field sounds very interesting to me, but I don't think they will be too impressed with my college technical classes either.  I know I would do well in intelligence.  (I am talking to the officer recruiter next week, as opposed to the recruiter I spoke with two weeks ago).

I'd never considered the reserve.  I assumed these days that reserve is an eight year commitment where you're pretty much guaranteed to be deployed some of that time anyway, so you might as well go active.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2009, 09:33 »
I'd never considered the reserve.  I assumed these days that reserve is an eight year commitment where you're pretty much guaranteed to be deployed some of that time anyway, so you might as well go active.

1. It's an 8 year contract whether it's all Active with IRR followon, or 8 years in the Reserves.

2. Advantage of reserves: You can keep your fully-vested job with benefits, and periodically go play Navy. Have your cake and eat it also!

3. While your Reserve unit has you in Active duty, your job is protected by law under the "Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) http://www.esgr.org/site/Default.aspx  Again, play Jack Ryan and have your cake as well!

Thanks for considering serving! Let's just make sure you get the best fit, there are lots of options to explore.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2009, 11:07 »
I met only one DILDO who went line officer after teaching... Words on this forum cannot be used to describe how much he regretted that decision. Teaching in the Navy does not a sailor make. He thought the limited responsibility shore duty Navy was THE Navy--again, he was sorely surprised to find out he had a GCE (Gross Conceptual Error).

I'd go full active only if it were on my bucket list... Hey, I made a funny. Start sending the + karma!!!!
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2009, 11:38 »
Hey, I made a funny. Start sending the + karma!!!!

With a sense of humor only an android could comprehend...I dub thee "Commander Data"  ;)

+ ΔK/K for ya!
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2009, 11:39 by HydroDave63 »

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2009, 11:46 »
Commander Data?

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2009, 11:47 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?