Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help me Please

Author Topic: Help me Please  (Read 6838 times)

MaybeNuker

Help me Please
« on: Mar 13, 2010, 01:10 »
Hey guys I was told today by my recruiter that Nuke wouldnt work out for me. Im just curious about some things. He told me that his chief said that I would require to many waivers and that Power School wouldnt take me. I got a 95 on the ASVAB and I at least qualified to take the NAPT. Im wondering if I should just call it quits or look for a recruiter that would at least attempt to put my waivers through for my high school grades. His chief said that 1 or 2 waivers were ok but more than that is a no go.

Thank you in advanced

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Help me Please
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2010, 01:35 »
I'm certain that the fine knowledgeable folks here will help however, it will be easier if you include some details such as how many waivers you'd require and what they would be for.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

MaybeNuker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2010, 02:20 »
I think I might need 7 waivers. For math and science classes. My recruiter wasnt specific just saying i would require to many waivers for my HS grades. He just said his chief wouldnt put  my stuff through. Thats why I'm curious if it was just the chief or is it just the policy for all of navy. Thats why im curios about asking another recruiter for a 2nd opinion.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2010, 04:29 by MaybeNuker »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:37 »
I would drop this recruiter. I have heard of more/worse waivers and he is just being lazy, IMO (unless there is some extenuating circumstances).

MaybeNuker

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2010, 04:51 »
Thats what's really confusing me. I have good enough for nuke but i would have to take the NAPT. I didnt even get a chance to take it. Im going to at least call another recruiter to get a second opinion. And if anyone is wonder I dont have any medical problems, havent done drugs, and have no financial problems.

If anyone needs my score here they are:
GS-56  AS-43
AR-63   MC-39
WK-60   AO-52
PC-65    VE- 63
MK-66
EL-59

I at least added my score and I know I qualified for nuke.

MaybeNuker

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:06 »
Sorry for flaunting the scores, i just didn't want anyone to wonder if my scores weren't good enough. Im telling you exactly what I was told he said " Hey man, the nuke thing is not going to happen. My chief said that 1 or 2 waivers are ok, but you need alot more. And with your high school grades power school isn't going to accept you." Afterwards he told me I could be an ET which is his job. I just walked away and my mother started talking to him. Thanks for your responses though.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:12 »
Don't sign a contract for anything you don't want.  If you want Nuke, sign a contract that says nuke.  If this recruiter won't help you, find one that will.  Some recruiter, at a station near you, is having a hard time making quota this month!
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline Jester

• Light User
  • Potential Nuke
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:19 »
Don't sign a contract for anything you don't want.  If you want Nuke, sign a contract that says nuke.  If this recruiter won't help you, find one that will.  Some recruiter, at a station near you, is having a hard time making quota this month!

Heh, my recruiter's quota for the last like 3 months was 1 person. 'Course I live in San Bernardino county, where the unemployment rate is about 15%...
Potential Nuke - Help me learn!

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:57 »
Try the one in Berkeley, I hear they have problems getting recruits ;D ;D
Actually, call around to recruiters in other districts where friends/family may live.  You could always input from somewhere back in the hills.  Also, if you know anyone currently in the Navy, they might have a buddy on recruiting duty that could help.  Also, try to get the right kind of recruiter.  In order to tell the difference, please review this handy training aid (courtesy of TubeDaze):
http://tubedaze.squarespace.com/storage/join-the-navy-comics/5_recruitingstyles.png
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

MaybeNuker

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:33 »
Thanks for the replies. :)
I sent my recruiter an email and was up front with him telling him that I want nuke.
The rest of my email said if he wasn't even going to try to help me Im going to look
for another recruiter. And crusemm the article was pretty funny. Thanks for sharing.
hahaha.

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:10 »
Sometimes recruiters really know what they are talking about. Way back when I was in, Nukes counted as two in the recruiters bean count quota, now if your recruiter is not willing to submit you there is probably something to his reasoning. Feel free to check with another recruiter but they may be doing you and the Navy a favor by not thinking you are not a good candidate. Do you have a criminal record or other things on you back ground that may be holding you back?
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2010, 04:25 by IPREGEN »

MaybeNuker

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:12 »
Well the chief of the recruiting office called me because of all the traffic between the recruiter and I. He told me to come in and talk about all the opportunities the navy had to offer me and etc. I told him I just wanted an answer about the nuke program. He said you need waivers if you had less than a C in a math and science class. He also said that the policy for the nuke program is that If you had below a C the next math class you'd taken is at least a B, or has shown some improvement. Which he said my transcript hasn't so I wouldn't be able to get a waiver based on the last statement. And I wouldnt be able to get in until I have something else like an associates or something. I guess thats the end. And no, I have no criminal record or anything like that.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 09:13 by MaybeNuker »

zyrxy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:02 »
Well I would get an associates, those are really easy to get lol.  I accidentally got one at community college just taking random classes.  I failed math in high school too Fs/Ds, it was very boring math, trig/algebra, so I went to college and took calculus 1&2 and  and got A's in them, they are much funner than the lower math.  You could try doing that and showing that you can get a higher grade than a D in math. 
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 02:04 by zyrxy »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:09 »
I would still check with another recruiter.

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2010, 04:40 »
Check with another recruiter.  There are people in here right now with MULTIPLE drug waivers...MULTIPLE grades waivers.  Age waivers.  Health waivers. And any combination previously mentioned.  If they are letting in people with d's and F's on math grades and using illegal drugs 5 or more times, then they can get a waiver for you.  It is just so time consuming and paper pushing that perhaps the recruiter doesn't feel like doing it.  It's worth a shot to try someone else.  Just don't get discouraged if it takes months to get these waivers.
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2010, 05:28 »
Something to consider is that the Navy has an abundance of people looking to get in. Someone who needs a lot of waivers, with questionable other items or whatnots isn't worth the time. For every guy that needs 7 waivers, there's 5 that need 1 or 2. It's easier to push those guys in and not have to deal with the expense and hassle of someone who might not get his waivers approved, especially Nuke where it depends on the whims of NavSea08.

Harsh? Maybe, but the truth. With the economy the way it is, there's lots of people applying. It's an employers market, not the employees.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?