Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A “quiet nuclear renaissance” unfolds in the United States honeypot

Author Topic: A “quiet nuclear renaissance” unfolds in the United States  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Great article.  I didn't realize some of those points.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
good article yes.  I read a bit deeper after your comment.  One thing that bothered me was the capacity factor of combined cycle gas 55% being compared to nuclear 92%.  Nuclear plants are supposed to run all the time and are not cycled up and down like gas units (peaking units).  Is it fair to compare a peaking unit to a unit that is supposed to run all the time to provide base load?  Maybe natty gas units have to be shutdown more often than nuclear plants for maintenance, but I didn't think this was the case.  Forgive my ignorance if so.  Obviously if natty gas units are cycled up and down based on market conditions this should be considered a strength not a weakness.  So that seemed hugely misleading unless I am missing something.  It bugs the crap out of me when facts and figures are misrepresented, if this is the case.

Chimera

"A combined-cycle power plant uses both a gas and a steam turbine together to produce up to 50 percent more electricity from the same fuel than a traditional simple-cycle plant." - See more at: https://powergen.gepower.com/resources/knowledge-base/combined-cycle-power-plant-how-it-works.html#sthash.29nx7u1r.dpuf

The cited article never mentioned anything about a peaking unit.  Most of my readings state that the overall efficiency of a combined-cycle gas plant is approximately 50%.  The author is not misrepresenting his facts - he's just ignorant of the difference between capacity factor and efficiency (Carnot cycle efficiency, I'm assuming)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
no he said the capacity factor was 56%.  I looked it up on two other websites and he is correct.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
As my company announces that it is getting out of competitive generation by potentially declaring bankruptcy on the subsidiary that owns us and selling/shutting us down.

http://powersource.post-gazette.com/powersource/companies/2016/11/04/FirstEnergy-posts-profit-after-hot-summer-pittsburgh/stories/201611040185
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2016, 07:54 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?