Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SWO to SWO nuke honeypot

Author Topic: SWO to SWO nuke  (Read 9501 times)

mg2633

SWO to SWO nuke
« on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:50 »
I've searched this site and a few others but am still having difficulty finding an answer.

If someone is currently in OCS and was picked up as a SWO is it possible for them to cross over to SWO nuke? If so how?

Thank you for the clarification.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: SWO to SWO nuke
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:18 »
This is a difficult question for me to answer.  I usually do better with enlisted questions...

Here's what I found.

MILPERSMAN 1212.10 (Lateral Transfer and Change of Designator Codes of Regular and Reserve Officer)
https://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1200_1214/1212_010.htm

OPNAV INSTRUCTION 1210.5 (LATERAL TRANSFER/REDESIGNATION AND AUGMENTATION OF OFFICERS IN THE NAVY)
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-200%20Personnel%20Classification%20and%20Designation/1210.5.pdf

OPNAVINST 1210.5, section 6 discusses the contents of an application package.

I couldn't get my hands on an online copy of NAVPERS 15559 (Officer Transfer Manual) despite a significant amount of time and effort spent searching.  If you have access to a copy, it might give you more information.  As close as I can tell you must meet these requirements:

"Must have completed at least 24 months of active commissioned service above the grade of CWO4.  An officer may not request transfer from the Unrestricted Line until within 6 months of completing obligatory service in the present community as a result of functional training received (training received that further enables an Unrestricted Line officer to perform their duties such as department head school)."

"Officers associated with the surface (111X)...communities shall have achieved warfare qualification before applying."

"URL {Unrestricted Line} officers may not request lateral transfer/ redesignation until within one year of completing obligated service in their present community as a result of functional training received."

"Surface Warfare Officers serving under an agreement for any of the special or incentive pays listed in chapter five of DOD Directive 1304.21, are not eligible to apply to the board until within one year of satisfaction of that obligation."
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

mg2633

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:09 »
thank you. My husband wanted to get into the nuke program (enlisted) but the commissioning board picked him up as a SWO which he was pretty ecstatic about. I read about the SWO(N) last night and thought I'd find out a little more. He's on OCS right now so your response gives me something to write to him about.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:57 »
If he wanted out of the nuke program as enlisted, what makes you think he would want to do it as an officer?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:13 »
Oops, I misread that. Thanks for the correction!

mg2633

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:54 »
     Yes, he wanted to be a nuke- but was just as happy when he was picked up for SWO. I may not have stated that clearly.

He mentioned something about a SWO(N) before he left, but they got him into OCS so quickly (he turned 29 in January- if you're not in OCS by your 29th birthday you can't be a SWO) he didn't have an opportunity to look into it.

I do my best to educate myself about about his job/career aspirations, because I have to plan grad school around it (but I also do care).

Thank you both.

Offline SWO

• Very Lite User
  • Making Xenon!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:19 »
Forget about that lat xfer/redesignation board stuff sovbob posted. Doesn't apply to his situation, seeing as how both SWOs and SWO(N)s have the same designators in the fleet.

If your husband is really deadset on SWO(N), he most definitely needs to do two things: speak with the SWO(N) folks at Navy Personnel Command, and speak to someone at OCS about his situation as well.

All I can tell you is that there isn't exactly a shortage of SWO(N)s right now, which could make convincing the Navy to grant him an interview a little tough... hope this helps.
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?