Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu life as a nuke vs other tech positions honeypot

Author Topic: life as a nuke vs other tech positions  (Read 4567 times)

elp03

life as a nuke vs other tech positions
« on: Apr 01, 2007, 05:49 »
I am currently committed to joining the navy, but I have not decided which field to persue yet.  I would like to make a career out of it and I have found all the previous posts to be very informative.  There is one thing that I am curious about still.

I have seen previous posts describing the typical day for a nuke on a carrier.  How does this compare to other tech positions such as sonar and aecf?  Specifically,

1.  How much time on the ship is devoted to work for nukes and other tech positions, and how much time is there for training, exercising, etc?

2.  Is there any difference while at ports?  Are some positions more free to visit the port while some have to continue to spend most of their time on the ship?

3.  What is life like when you are at base?

4.  Is there any difference in the ability to become an officer if I decide I would like to go that route?

5.  Are there a lot more options in terms of where you can go (geographically) with non-nuke positions?

Anything else I should consider would be very helpful.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: life as a nuke vs other tech positions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:05 »
Nuke is not easy. Since you are the source of electrical power for ship uses, you have to be the last to leave. After the plant is shutdown you can have liberty. You will never have as much liberty as the non-nuke ET. There will be many things you consider doing over the years that are not available for nukes. Your shore duty will be in a nuke-related field (the detailer will never let a nuke pass out basketballs at the gym for 2 years). Your sea-shore rotation will be the poorest in the navy.

But the extra time, effort, and work have definite payoffs when you get out!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:34 »
Quote from: mbrasi on Feb 14, 2007, 15:24
.......Is there anyone out there who would know what types of positions I could qualify for?......................
.......I wish I had the leisure to spend a couple of hours reading everything............

By the way of ALL the stuff I've seen here this is the one that amazed me and angered me the most. If someone doesn't have the time to put into their OWN future why should I invest mine?

Mike

elp03

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:07 »
Thanks for the replies.  Marssim, you're old quotes you pulled up pretty much hits on exactly what I was concerned about.  I already took the ASVAB.  All my line scores were good (obviously since I am looking at nuke) and I can take any job they have available... which is why I am researching now.  My biggest concern is that I get a job that will allow me to be promoted eventually and that will put me in a position where I am looking to stay in the Navy for at least 20 years.

After that, I might just go back to teaching at a university and earn a second pension... if they're still offering that 20 years from now.   ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2007, 01:46 »
Uh man I think he was posting those quotes to show you how ridiculously easy it is to find info here and as a reminder that YOU should have been able to find it.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2007, 10:38 »
I think he was posting those quotes to show you how ridiculously easy it is to find info here and as a reminder that YOU should have been able to find it.

No, that is what YOU would have meant by posting that, Mike!  ::)
Marssim is much nicer than that.

ELP,
You need to take stock of your situation. I planned on staying in 10-20 years upon my enlistment, depending on how the job market looked. My desire to serve my country was complimented by my desire to get into commercial nuclear power once I get out. If you want to open up a lot of doors in the future, Navy nuke is a great start.
Of course, it is only a start. You will have to put in the time and effort for any success after you get out (just like when you are in).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?