Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 1 week
honeypot

Author Topic: 1 week  (Read 9215 times)

ls_comply

1 week
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:52 »
One more week before i head to great lakes.  I am starting to get nervous.  Not seriously nervous, but just jittery, i suppose.  I am very excited to recieve this oppritunity.   I have been reading as much as i can from these messageboards, and i just wanted to say thanks.  Reading these boards has really helped.
I originally was gonna go into IT, but i scored high on he asvab so my recruiter suggested i look into the program.  I never really thought something like this would be accessible to me, because i always slacked off in school.  However, now i am sitting here trying to prepare myself for the worst in bootcamp and in school.  I plan to work as hard as i possibly can to pass this program and stop at nothing short of debilitating injury ;)
Thanks again guys/gals.  When i'm getting my arse whooped i'll look back and think how easy i had it and how ungrateful i was  ;D

cplhendon

Re: 1 week
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:37 »
You'll do fine in boot camp.  Just go in with that positive outlook, and never do any MORE or LESS than is asked of you.  Keep an open mind, and know that whatever they are teaching you, or telling you to do, no matter how silly it may seem at the time, has a purpose and is worth taking seriously.

Best of luck, and congrats.

navytwinmom

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:34 »
First thank you for your service. Good you have been reading and getting ready for an arse whooping...LOL.

1. Just a couple of things from a mom perspecitive. Write as often as you can. I know you will be super busy in boot camp but moms live for the letters. My sons only got to call 3 times and since they were in the same division I could only talk to one of them....longest months of my life. Write to mom/dad first then then your freinds.

2. Don't take anything other than your phone card (get a big on somethimes the connections charges are huge) and a change of clothes. The back of the DEP book as a list of stuff but it all comes back now....the give you a exchange card and you go buy all your soap, toothbrush ect....

3. Just rememeber this to shall pass....it is only boot camp and you will make it. Always to your best and you will do great.

Once you get to school please post some more so we can keep track of you.... ;D

Best wishes

D

Edit...ok just read a couple of your other post...write the wife first!!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:45 by navytwinmom »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 02:43 »
And no matter how bad bootcamp gets just remember this, there are worse things than your CC or your Chief roaming the world, there is Broadzilla!

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 03:45 »
Goodluck! Makes me reflect back as I leave the Navy while you are just starting. Where has the time gone?

Justin

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:06 »
I believe that with your attitude, you will do fine, young grasshopper.  8) Good luck and stay low for the next 8 weeks.

Sirveri

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 07:45 »
As a fellow pre-nave married guy, it was EASY. Also you get fat paychecks thanks to BAH and family sep every month. I think I made more than my RDC's. But I also lived in CA so I was getting like 1600 for BAH plus cost of living, plus family sep, plus E-3 (while every non-nuke got E-1). Once you get to school will be the defining moment. If you were bad at school because you were stupid, you will have problems. If you did bad because you're a lazy slacker who doesn't do home work you'll do fine, since the threat of captains mast is hanging over you at every second if you don't do the work, and you're forced to be there, so you might as well get it done during the study time. And don't be shy at prototype, harrass them, make them hate you. Make them want to sign the card just to get you to go away.

LaFeet

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 07:04 »
And no matter how bad bootcamp gets just remember this, there are worse things than your CC or your Chief roaming the world, there is Broadzilla!

Mike
All FEAR Broadzilla !! 

I think I need to buy you a drink.

ls_comply  boot camp is just a short walk in the park.  They don't have a work week anymore.

Stay focused and alert.  Take your time with the exams, help others often and
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP.

The biggest mistake you can make is getting in over your head without a means to pull yourself out.

Life after boot camp will sellte down a bit, but you have several years of training before you get to the real meat of your enlistment.

Thank you for your service,

Paule ET1 (SS)

Jubedgy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:02 »
Wow, no service week at all?  And I hear they have galleys right in the barracks now.  If I recall correctly, reveille got pushed an hour later a few weeks after I left in Jan of '02 too. 

In any case:

ls_comply, good luck with phase one, and don't do any stupid rickie ninja stuff to get yourself de-nuked!  Not that you'll be able to see this until a few months from now when you're safe and sound in chuck-town (or in rickie heaven right before graduation). 

longball4414

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:18 »
You'll do fine in boot camp.  Just go in with that positive outlook, and never do any MORE or LESS than is asked of you.  Keep an open mind, and know that whatever they are teaching you, or telling you to do, no matter how silly it may seem at the time, has a purpose and is worth taking seriously.

Best of luck, and congrats.

Hmm, never do any more than is asked of you?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:49 »
yes, in boot camp that is. boot camp is a place you usually don't want to stand out in ANY way.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 12:58 »
yes, in boot camp that is. boot camp is a place you usually don't want to stand out in ANY way.

Screw that, stand out, be the man, put your junk on the line and say here I am try, try and break me!! Of course do this with the utmost modesty and discretion. Look before you leap. Never Again Volunteer Yourself should balance your motivation. In the end, the go getters get r dun.

But that's me. That's how I roll. Its gotten me kudos at least one more time than getting my junk smashed into my nether cavities. Getting your junk smashed does suck, though.

Don't let life ro-sham-bu you, kick life in the nootz and keep your eye on the prize.

BZ does not scare me.  :P

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 05:04 »
heeeyyyyy, if you like mini mo (if they still have that), then just do it!

wolfxoman

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:09 »
Hay good luck on your endeavor, but as far as going all out or just getting by I would recommend doing what is asked of you above the curve.  In otherwords keep in the upper 30% of the class this will keep you out of trouble and still give you a buffer of people to where the Drill Instructors won't pick you out.

Kudos 8)

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 03:37 »
Good luck to you

as for you effort, just remember; no one loves a pain in the ass or a suck up.  I agree with wolfie.... dont do the minimum credit card payment approach, but dont try to take on the world by yourself.  Ask for help when you need to and be willing to support your shipmates, not all of us were able to seek help when we needed it

ls_comply

« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2007, 06:27 »
thanks for the advice.
I have to make this short.
I am now in Goose Creek.  Bootcamp went fine. 
I'm in my indoc phase.  I managed to get ET, like i wanted.  I beat out a few other guys to get it.  I am pretty anxious right now, but i plan on putting forth my best effort and getting through this.  Expect to see me again. 

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2007, 04:24 by ls_comply »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2007, 06:54 »
good to hear from you. keep us informed!  interesting to see how you do. good luck.  jim

landlubber

« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2007, 08:56 »
If they give you a choice (which they probably won't) ask to go to Ballston Spa for prototype. The training there is better. And remember: the shim switch is NOT a rheostat. I can't count how many student ROs I have seen try to level power following their first reactor startup by "throttling" the shim switch.

Keep your head up.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2007, 08:56 »
Hey congrats! Goodluck with the rest of the pipeline. I start my new life at Palo Verde tomorrow!

Justin

Rad Sponge

« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2007, 06:49 »
Hey congrats! Goodluck with the rest of the pipeline. I start my new life at Palo Verde tomorrow!

Justin

Congrats on your new job Mr. Hemi.

And congrats to the nub on Boot. Next....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?