Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nuclear from enlisted to officer.

Author Topic: nuclear from enlisted to officer.  (Read 31129 times)

subshooter

Re: nuclear from enlisted to officer.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:22 »
I have to disagree with Gamecock.  You have nothing to lose by applying for an officer program.  The worst outcome is a no thank you.  I interviewed with ADM Mckee in the 80s.  Since then, we have significantly lowered our standards (particularly during ADM Bowman's tenure).  The designers have done such an outstanding job building navy nuke plants which are easy to operate and forgiving.  Perhaps we are realizing that we don't need engineers from MIT to be in manuevering or the engineroom.  Go for it.

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:02 »
I have to disagree with Gamecock.  You have nothing to lose by applying for an officer program.  The worst outcome is a no thank you.  I interviewed with ADM Mckee in the 80s.  Since then, we have significantly lowered our standards (particularly during ADM Bowman's tenure).  The designers have done such an outstanding job building navy nuke plants which are easy to operate and forgiving.  Perhaps we are realizing that we don't need engineers from MIT to be in manuevering or the engineroom.  Go for it.

I agree, good input. I've never seen why anyone believes an Engineering Degree is essential to run or manage a nuke plant, particularly a naval plant. When was the last time you saw a Naval officer have to perform design engineering on as naval plant? What matters is the ability and willingness to learn combined with the willingness to ask questions.

Mike

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2007, 05:54 »

I agree that you have nothing to lose by applying for an officer program.  However, I only suggested that the youngster would be better off going straight SWO vice nuclear power based on his GPA.  I saw guys with similar GPA's struggle mightily at nuke school during my teaching tenure there (I was academic adviser for several of them).  My advice would be to do the enlisted nuke thing (like I did!!!), go to the fleet for some experience, then apply for OCS (unless age is a factor).  If you're a good enlisted nuke, you'll probably be a good nuke officer.

There is no formal board scheduled for OCS....each package is screened when received.

BTW....There is nothing wrong with being an engineer from MIT ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 05:55 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?