Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Confused mom here honeypot

Author Topic: Confused mom here  (Read 23605 times)

soninbootcamp

Re: Confused mom here
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:44 »
Well it has been almost one month now, but we finally got information on my son's rating. It looks like he is going to be a nuke.  He will be leaving for South Carolina after bootcamp. His first choice was ET, but he didn't get that.  His rate is MM.  I don't know how he is going to like that, I can't imagine him doing anything mechanical!  He is such a math whiz and did so well on his ASVAB, I am surprised he didn't get his first choice. But after doing some research I understand that nothing is guaranteed and that it all depends on what the Navy needs.  I am just very happy that he gets to remain in the field he signed up for! PLUS we get to see him at PIR in only two weeks!

I was such a basketcase when we first thought we was being dropped from nuke because of his color blindness, I just wanted to give an update that things are looking up, I hope!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:03 »
Well it has been almost one month now, but we finally got information on my son's rating. It looks like he is going to be a nuke.  He will be leaving for South Carolina after bootcamp. His first choice was ET, but he didn't get that.  His rate is MM.  I don't know how he is going to like that, I can't imagine him doing anything mechanical!  He is such a math whiz and did so well on his ASVAB, I am surprised he didn't get his first choice. But after doing some research I understand that nothing is guaranteed and that it all depends on what the Navy needs.  I am just very happy that he gets to remain in the field he signed up for! PLUS we get to see him at PIR in only two weeks!

I was such a basketcase when we first thought we was being dropped from nuke because of his color blindness, I just wanted to give an update that things are looking up, I hope!

Don't worry about the rating. I went through the same thing. I initially was going to enter the Navy in advanced electronics (missiles) but had to go the nuke pipeline because it filled before I swore in. When I got to bootcamp I was selected as a MM even though I had outscored several who got ET. My recruiter said don't sweat it your electrical scores will virtually gauntee an ET slot, he will have to get used to the "needs of the Navy". This is just the first step and he has a long road ahead of him. If he is interested in plant operations MM is a better route in my opinion anyway. The electrician and electronic technician routes tend to lead to maintenace positions in the commercial world though nothing is written in stone for anyone. Today I am very happy with the path I took through the Navy. With the number of nuclear plants in the planning stages he probably will have a lot of opportunity shortly after leaving in 6 or 20 years, you never know.
   Good luck to him and you, I know that you worry but as long as he applies himself he will do well. The Navy likes to bring in people they think will succeed, it costs them too much in critical rates like his not to.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 04:13 by Marlin »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:00 »

Congratulations! To avoid being miserable if he had his heart set on ET, then you need to be positive and support him. I am sure he will be just fine as an MM, but if he isn't happy, his career is going to suck the whole time. You need to encourage him to embrace his new job and find positive ways of supporting him. Seen many many EM/ ET first choicers come through as MMs just completely miserable and angry at the Navy. I am not trying to scare you, I am just telling you what I saw as an instructor, and hopefully offering advice on how to not let that happen to him. I think positive support from you will be key. Then again, he could already be just fine with it... just be sure, because I have seen the other side like Marlin... where they were perfectly fine with it and better off.

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 07:03 by JustinHEMI05 »

soninbootcamp

« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:28 »
Marlin and Justin,

Thank you for your input.  I do agree about being supportive. I admit I was a little disappointed that he didn't get the rate he "wanted" but it was short lived.  In his letter he did say he was fine with it and he was happy.  I know he spoke with a classifier before he filled out his "wish list" so he must have been told or read what the job is about.  He is the one who listed it as 2nd choice.  I immediately sent him a congratulations card for getting his rate and reminded him how proud we are of him.

Sally

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:44 »
Marlin and Justin,

Thank you for your input.  I do agree about being supportive. I admit I was a little disappointed that he didn't get the rate he "wanted" but it was short lived.  In his letter he did say he was fine with it and he was happy.  I know he spoke with a classifier before he filled out his "wish list" so he must have been told or read what the job is about.  He is the one who listed it as 2nd choice.  I immediately sent him a congratulations card for getting his rate and reminded him how proud we are of him.

Sally

Awesome! I am very happy for the both of you!

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:45 »
In the old days, I was told I was colorblind.
I originally failed the color dots that are supposed to look like numbers.

I passed the Farnsworth Lantern. (Red / White / Yellow / Green points of light)
I was an RO for eight years in the USN and was NRC Licensed after that.

(I passed the NRC physical examination, which was the color dots.)

The wife insists I'm color blind.

IMHO - the needs of the Navy exceed the ability to discriminate color.

haha same thing happened to me at meps. I failed many, many, many, many times on those color tests. with the lantern test, I literally went through it until i happened to guess right :)

sally- haha heres the deal... I can only think of a FEW mechanics who actually wanted MM. In a couple months he will grow to pride his rate and bash the others, just as Im sure everyone else has before and will do after him. Tell him he's lucky! He makes E4 in 3 months instead of 6! :D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?