Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear officer pipeline, STA21 vs. Naval Academy honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear officer pipeline, STA21 vs. Naval Academy  (Read 13199 times)

kstrick68

i was wondering if one is easier to get accepted for than the other, out of the nuclear program.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Nuclear officer pipeline, STA21 vs. Naval Academy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:58 »
STA-21 requires you to specificaly apply to the nuclear option. There are extra restrictions for the nuclear option. If you not get the nuclear option you can apply for the core program and then attempt to get into the nuclear power program (I don't know anyone who has done this).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:13 »
All officer programs in today's navy are extremely difficult to get.  Don't let that discourage you however.  There are also other programs that can get you into an officer program.  If you want to go to the academy, apply for an academy program, and also NAPS.  NAPS is the Naval Academy Prep School, and if selected, you get one year of "prep" school, then get an appointment to the USNA.  If you want NROTC, apply STA-21 and also BOOST.  Completion of BOOST also enables you to potentially get a USNA appointment.  Ensure you talk to the Command Career Counselor once you start training to ensure that you are aware of application deadlines and the latest requirements.

A popular misconception is that NAPS and BOOST are for minorities only.  This is not true.

Its very hard to stand out and get a great recommendation at nuke school, as there are tons of applicants.  Its not as hard to stand out once you get to the boat if you work hard.

Bottom line...if you want a commission, apply again, and again, and again if necessary. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

mlslstephens

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:28 »
i was wondering if one is easier to get accepted for than the other, out of the nuclear program.

Are we assuming you do not have a degree?  If you already possess a bachelors degree, than the above options are not available to you.  At that point, you would be looking at OCS.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:02 »
STA-21 requires you to specificaly apply to the nuclear option.

I don't believe that statement is accurate. Now if you're saying that some commands will endorse the nuclear option candidates more strongly than the others, I agree.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 02:28 »

I don't believe that statement is accurate. Now if you're saying that some commands will endorse the nuclear option candidates more strongly than the others, I agree.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/

No I'm saying you can only be guaranteed nuclear power in STA-21 by applying to the nuclear option additionally you can only apply to the nuclear option from one of the nuclear training commands as either staff or student.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:16 »
No I'm saying you can only be guaranteed nuclear power in STA-21 by applying to the nuclear option additionally you can only apply to the nuclear option from one of the nuclear training commands as either staff or student.

I understand your statement now and you are correct.  ;D

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:50 »
All officer programs in today's navy are extremely difficult to get.  Don't let that discourage you however.  There are also other programs that can get you into an officer program.  If you want to go to the academy, apply for an academy program, and also NAPS.  NAPS is the Naval Academy Prep School, and if selected, you get one year of "prep" school, then get an appointment to the USNA.  If you want NROTC, apply STA-21 and also BOOST.  Completion of BOOST also enables you to potentially get a USNA appointment.  Ensure you talk to the Command Career Counselor once you start training to ensure that you are aware of application deadlines and the latest requirements.

A popular misconception is that NAPS and BOOST are for minorities only.  This is not true.

Its very hard to stand out and get a great recommendation at nuke school, as there are tons of applicants.  Its not as hard to stand out once you get to the boat if you work hard.

Bottom line...if you want a commission, apply again, and again, and again if necessary. 

BOOST does not exist anymore. When I left for prototype 4 people applied for STA -21 , and they were almost BEGGING for people to apply. In the end they squeezed a proper amount through :) I do have to say if he is serious about doing this, the Academy is probably the most viable option if he's willing to go through that business. 

can someone explain why STA-21 only allows nuclear option at the schools? I dont understand that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?