Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Finally signed my contract!

Author Topic: Finally signed my contract!  (Read 11387 times)

nukemdukem

Finally signed my contract!
« on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:51 »
So I got my Navy Nuke contract signed.  What now? wait.  It's in May but they are going to try to roll me up to a closer date.  I am still unsure of the rating I want.  But I am kind of leaning towards being a ELT.  Then thing is... if I don't get picked to be a ELT then I will be stuck as a MM.  Nothing really wrong but I don't know if I want to be doing that work.  ET kind of interests me too.  EM seems like a mysterious rate and not really interested.

That's about it.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
Re: Finally signed my contract!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:34 »
The Navy will pick your rate so don't worry about it.  EM is the best because you get to stand the roving watch which means you get to hang out with your buddies (and avoid the dorks.  No shortage of those.) to make the watch standing somewhat enjoyable.  Think about it:  Look at some of these posts.  Imagine being stuck for 6 hours in a 5X10 room with them talking about their 3rd grade spelling bee, the soccer trophy they won when they were twelve, A school class rank.   You see a few of them here...imagine being stuck captive to their renditions?  Not pretty.

Plus, as an EM you get to run the throttles, the best watch.  Going to flank cavitate, back emergency is pretty cool.  get to hear the turbines scream, hear the steam flow rush through the main steam pump, the boat  bucking/vibrating as it responds to thrust...operating the electrical board is cool too....  parallelling generators, battery charges, diesel generator. three pretty good watches that are different.

RO watches stink.  MM watches stink.  EM is the best.   

Most of the time its boring.  You clean bilges all the time so the engineer officer can look good cuz all he cares about is the command path.  Then you train on the same stuff over and over and over.  pretty much blows across the board...but EM is the best as far as watches go...

But, time thinking about it is time wasted. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:38 »
main steam PIPES..geez..
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

nukemdukem

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:53 »
I plan on volunteering for attack sub.  It just interests me a lot more than a carrier.  The pictures of the subs popping up in the north pole or where ever always fascinated me.  As far as my rating goes, I want something that will benefit me the most post-Navy.  Though, picking a rating now is really pointless because nothing ever goes as planned.  Pssst... hey which one is the best?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:59 »
I see you serving in the gulf on the USS Enterprise as a normal MM :)

that would suck now, wouldnt it!?     Mechanics > All as you will find out.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:05 »
You sound just like me nine years ago. Don't worry you don't really have any choice; this is one of the things that recruiters lie about. Yes you get to put your "desires" on a sheet but everyone else put the same thing (for the most part) and they need more mechanics than the other two combined.

If you are not willing to be a MM and serve honorably don't be a nuke we don’t need anymore worthless bitching nubs in RM and M div.
 (Most are smart enough not to say “I didn’t want to be a mechanic” the one guy that did though was good entertainment until he cracked)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:08 »
One more thing if you haven't read this book do it is the most accurate depiction of nuclear navy life. Especialy the parts about school (except the drinking; underage drinking=career suicide)

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13252.0.html

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:40 »

If you are not willing to be a MM and serve honorably don't be a nuke we don’t need anymore worthless bitching nubs in RM and M div.
 (Most are smart enough not to say “I didn’t want to be a mechanic” the one guy that did though was good entertainment until he cracked)

This sounds just like the old "I've pissed more salt water than you have crossed" speech I received from an old BT Master Chief. :o
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:10 »
I plan on volunteering for attack sub.  It just interests me a lot more than a carrier.  The pictures of the subs popping up in the north pole or where ever always fascinated me.  As far as my rating goes, I want something that will benefit me the most post-Navy.  Though, picking a rating now is really pointless because nothing ever goes as planned.  Pssst... hey which one is the best?

You volunteer for Subs not a specific type of sub.

Loffy Muffin hit it right on the head with his stuck in a room analogy. I'm still laughing.

As for what rate helps more after the Navy? Probably MM at least if you want to go the Operations route.

Mike

nukemdukem

« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:26 »
Thanks for the input.  I am leaning towards MM/ELT.  I guess I will have to get in good with the ELT people at school??  Honestly, I really don't know which I would prefer to serve on.  A Sub or carrier.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:29 »
Thanks for the input.  I am leaning towards MM/ELT.  I guess I will have to get in good with the ELT people at school??  Honestly, I really don't know which I would prefer to serve on.  A Sub or carrier.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and earn it.

Mike

nukemdukem

« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:11 »
Or you can do it the old fashioned way and earn it.

Mike

Well that and I have heard that they pick ELTs from all ranges of the GPA spectrum.  So that hard work isn't a golden ticket.

ddklbl

« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:02 »
As for what rate helps more after the Navy? Probably MM at least if you want to go the Operations route.

Do me a favor and stop beating this dead horse. 

Fact of the matter is there are only two watchstations in the enlisted nuclear navy that are restricted to certain NEC's.  Those two NEC's can't even claim exclusivity on those skill sets either since the subordinate watchs are often filled by those out of rating.  An enlistedman is only limited by his own personal drive and desire to learn and gain experience. 

nukiedukie, request whatever is in your heart.  Regardless of your request, remember the needs of the navy prevail.  Anyone who tells you one rate is better than another is full of s**t.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 07:29 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:51 »
I never said any one rate is better, the fact is MMs tend to do better in Operations probably because Nuke Plants are huge piping systems. ET tend to end up in I+C and for all practical purposes what they learned about reactor operations in the Navy is useless in a commercial plant. I've seen more MMs become good reactor operators and SROs than any other rate. EM tend to do ok first.

To be honest most people with a desire to learn and work hard do just as well as Navy Nukes in the commercial world regardless of the Navy persons rate.

For the NUB who hasn't spent one day in the Navy nuclear Program, since when does GPA have anything to do with how hard someone works? It's been my experience the guys with the lower GPA are just as likely to be good nukes and in many cases turn out to be better nukes. I barely even thought of Nuke School when I wasn't in class and I almost aced the course. I certainly did not work as hard as many with lower GPA. Stop equating work with the GPA because in the Navy it's just not so. To be honest if I were in RL div and a Nub was hoping to become friendly with me just in hopes to become an ELT one of two things would happen.

1: I'd kick his arse.
2: I'd kick his arse then do my darndest to make certain he went nowhere near ELT School.

Then again that's just me.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:52 »

nukiedukie, request whatever is in your heart.  Regardless of your request, remember the needs of the navy prevail.  Anyone who tells you one rate is better than another is full of s**t.

That and this board is already literally choked with millions of WHICH RATE IS BETTER threads.

Good luck out there!

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 07:29 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:31 »
Well that and I have heard that they pick ELTs from all ranges of the GPA spectrum.  So that hard work isn't a golden ticket.

That is fairly correct. The only realistic way to become an ELT or get ahead in the nuclear navy for that matter (I can only speak for surface) is to network. Work hard, qualify, and great but if you don't make connections bolth in and out of division you will have a hard time getting ahead

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:46 »

who said anything about hard work? Earning it can mean a lot of different things, young tadpole :)

nukemdukem

« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:25 »
who said anything about hard work? Earning it can mean a lot of different things, young tadpole :)

Care to elaborate wise toad?

gman82

« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:30 »
One more thing if you haven't read this book do it is the most accurate depiction of nuclear navy life. Especialy the parts about school (except the drinking; underage drinking=career suicide)

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13252.0.html

I'm a depper with a June ship date and I've been soaking up all the info I can get. I read the book from that link you provided and I liked it a lot. It was very informative as well as entertaining in quite a few spots. The only drawback about it was that it was only about subs, from the point of view of an EM and it was based in the late 80's and 90's. Can you recommend anything about carrier life, maybe with more info about ET's and ELT's, and maybe something a little more modern?

Thanks again for the link it really opened my eyes to what I'm going to be apart of.

Steve

nukemdukem

« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:23 »

I'm a depper with a June ship date and I've been soaking up all the info I can get. I read the book from that link you provided and I liked it a lot. It was very informative as well as entertaining in quite a few spots. The only drawback about it was that it was only about subs, from the point of view of an EM and it was based in the late 80's and 90's. Can you recommend anything about carrier life, maybe with more info about ET's and ELT's, and maybe something a little more modern?

Thanks again for the link it really opened my eyes to what I'm going to be apart of.

Steve

All they will say is to use the search button and that this topic has been discussed many times before.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:55 »

Steve

Use the search button. This topic has been discussed many times before.

:P

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 04:55 by JustinHEMI05 »

gman82

« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:15 »

Justin

Thanks I will.

I started a new topic, if anyone would like to reply I'd appreciate it.

nukemdukem

« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:38 »

Justin

Damn you read my mind

Smart ass

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:28 »
Care to elaborate wise toad?

my answer doesnt mean DONT work hard. You must work hard to finish this program, thats a fact. However, you must also master your personality quarks too. If you arent a punctual guy, or if you stink dont expect much from your future shipmates.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?