Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Life as a NUKE, PLZ HELP !!!

Author Topic: Life as a NUKE, PLZ HELP !!!  (Read 3066 times)

fourten_1995

Life as a NUKE, PLZ HELP !!!
« on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:03 »
I know that this topic has been gone over numerous times but I just need to know I leave in a month to Boot camp and then it’s on to South Carolina for my "A" school and I can’t be more excited to go I can’t wait. The thing is I get easily bored I don’t know if it’s A.D.D.  Or what but I get easily bored and need to be doing something always. Now I understand that with any job that I will ever have there will be times of boredness I get that but at the same time I'm not one to sit around and "flipping switches" and looking at screens. (Before I get bashed this is what a recruiter has told me which he isn’t a nuke!) So I just wanted to know from people who have been there and from the ones who are in now. What would be the best rate for some one like me? MM, ET, or EM? Please help! My boot camp count down has begun thank you!

JustinHEMI05

Re: Life as a NUKE, PLZ HELP !!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:49 »
Well prepare to be bored. If you can't sit around then sub MM is the way to go. But, even THAT will be boring when you are making 5 knots to no where punching holes in the water. But at least you can walk around and wipe up oil and run the evaporator if you are lucky enough to get a 688i that hasn't been upgraded to reverse osmosis.

Justin
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008, 09:50 by JustinHEMI »

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:54 »
The definition of boredom is back 6's SRW over a standdown, when no one is around.  Even worse, Cold Iron Watch, where there is no EOS to drop in and chat.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:50 »
This is kinda a thought question and you will get biased responses but here we go.

First off it really dosn't matter what you think you want unless you want to be an MM. Nearly everyone in your grad group will put the same thing on the list ET then EM then MM since MM makes up over 50% of the comunity there are mostly disapointed people. Here is the kicker I makes little to no differance how qualified you are for any of the three ratings. Yes if you score terible in the elec section of the ASVAB you will not get selected as an ET or EM but... the selection is done by division in relation to the number of that division in the grad group... ergo if you are one of the hightest numbers in your grad group (excluding 900 companies) they you are almost certain to get MM, why? because the selection is based on three things. First needs of the Navy (you will here this many times in your career) second your ASVAB scores, third what number your division is in your grad group (you will have next to know idea what that is unless you are the division YN) Last your personal choice.

There is a lot of info on what the various rates do in their early career, but what most won't talk about is once you get to the later parts of your career there is little differance between the "4" rates. But here is the short and diry for the first sea tour (surface)
MM= hardest, long working hours, no respect, no reprive, no air conditioned watch to look forward to, grease, grime, and tubine driven fire pump maintenance.
ET= hard NUBS clean all the time and do no maintenance but you have Rx Techniciton watch to look forward to (if you kiss the right booty)
EM= some hard maintenance, leave early, overmanned, less watch, get to complain about taking M and RM watches since they have no people to stand them, overall the easiest rate
ELT= work hard to get qualified since you have to go to the CO for ELT, qualify some MM watches just to placate the system but never stand them except for proficantcy (once a month), only reason they are not the easiest rate is to get this choice life you must risk being in M-div.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?