Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Almost there

Author Topic: Almost there  (Read 5269 times)

GrGrGreaseLightning

Almost there
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:18 »
9 more days 'til I ship off for Boot Camp!!!  I have been researching it and NukeWorker came up on Google.  I can't wait.  I am a Nuke by the way.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Almost there
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:39 »
Congratulations and good luck! Thanks for serving. What rate?

Justin

GrGrGreaseLightning

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:44 »
I think I will pick ET > MM > EM.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41 »
9 more days 'til I ship off for Boot Camp!!!  I have been researching it and NukeWorker came up on Google.  I can't wait.  I am a Nuke by the way.

Well hey! I ship out with you!
I'm also a nuke.
I'd sure like to be an ELT thanks to this site!  ;D

It's a good thing you found this site prior to ship. Get to reading and learning.
See you soon.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:25 »
Well I come from a 25 year old's perspective rather than an 18 year old.
I've gone to college and also hit the workforce and found it to be unpleasant.
I had a good experience with a great recruiter that pushed for me to be a nuke; I then saw this site and was rapidly inspired to give it my best and later I will reap the benefits for my wife and I.
I'm just looking to ride the wave in the navy and sail into the hot civilian market when I get out.
As a power hungry society--and that need growing each year--I'll have many sites available to choose from in 6 years.
Funny thing is before I even officially enter the community I have a support community of experienced and highly competent workers to provide advice and direction.
I also have an incredible opportunity to find jobs. ;)

What's the difficulty/probability in getting ELT in MM A-School when one requests it and is academically strong?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:53 »
Unless things have changed, you don't submit a request chit for ELT until most of the way through Prototype. All I can say is do well academically and professionally (how you present yourself to your peers and instructors).

Ensure you have a good relationship with the Mechanics and the ELTs and you best do very well in your check outs with them.

After that is a crap shoot.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:26 »
The force is strong with this one. 

Things haven't changed, J-YP.  You don't put in for ELT until toward the end of prototype.  If you are a really good mechanic, they may try to get you to go for SPU tour as a regular Mechanic and then pick up ELT after that.  I can say that that is by far the easiest route to become an ELT(after all the CTEs and Training you will pretty much know everything about ELT business you ever wanted to plus you already know all the staff guys that will be signing your book).  But if you don't get picked up SPU(that is Staff Pick Up or whatever they call it now) then depending on manning, ELT is still pretty easy to get into.  Hate to say it but from what I say at NPTU is that if you were a guy and wanted ELT for Surface, Forget it.  IF you wanted ELT you had to go subs or be lacking the Y chromosome.  JUST MY OPINION.  So far it sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders, you picked a geeky name for yourself(check box for Nuke Geeky Tendancy, don't worry it is a good thing), and you know what the real world is like compared to a wet behind the ears, never paid rent or set up utilities, spends all money on XBOX instead of a bed and furniture, fresh out of high school NUB.  Go forth and do great things. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:13 »
Like the others said, ELT selection happens in Prototype. But, by all means, let your advisers know through the whole pipeline. You will have weekly interviews so bring up early and often. Then when they look over your record in prototype, they will see that you had a strong interest. Of course, do well academically, which I don't think you will have a problem with. In my experience, the more mature students (those in early-mid 20s with some life experience) typically performed the best. Probably because they typically have the "have to get drunk every night" phase out of their systems. Staying away from the 18-20 year olds will serve you well. :)

Justin

TheObiJuan

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39 »
Thanks for the great advice prior to ship out.
See ya'll in a couple of months.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:09 »
Thanks for the great advice prior to ship out.
See ya'll in a couple of months.

NayNay Moosebreath, thou shall not seem me on the pond.  For I have made the transition to CIVLANTLFLT for good.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?