Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu home school waiver honeypot

Author Topic: home school waiver  (Read 20637 times)

redneckrecruit

home school waiver
« on: Aug 15, 2008, 02:51 »
Well i looked and looked and couldn't find what i wanted to know. I am currently in DEP as a mm (which is what i wanted) but i am trying to one up that with a nucler mm the only thing stoping me is getting a waiver because i was homeschooled (i guess it's a crime). Is that something they normally pass or will i be hard pressed to get it? Any help would be great thanks. I got a 90 on my asab and a 65 on my nuke test.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: home school waiver
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2008, 03:06 »
Isn't there a diploma involved with a homeschooling assoc.?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:33 »
Did you take Algebra?

it is one of the entrance requirements

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:42 »
Or in the possible absence of a diploma, have you taken the GED?
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 04:44 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

redneckrecruit

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:48 »
I did take algebra and have never gotten a GED in oklahoma homeschool diplomas are good as anything else

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:57 »
Isn't there a diploma involved with a homeschooling assoc.?

Or perhaps an English grammar test?

redneckrecruit

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:50 »
yes i know i have bad grammar ill start working on that more thank you

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:06 »
redneckrecruit,
Your syntax (use of words in the construction of sentences and phrases) is fine.  You just need some help with punctuation. 
I did take Algebra, and have never  gotten a GED.  In Oklahoma, home school diplomas are good as anything else.

A little more editing and you're good to go!
I did take Algebra, but did not earn a GED.  In Oklahoma, home school diplomas are as good as a GED.

Good luck with your quest.  My advice is to get the NUKE part in your enlistment contract.

Kathy VPNM (my son is graduating power school next friday!!)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:26 »
+K just because I like your name.

Anyway, good luck with your quest! I hope you get into nuke!

Wouldn't it be a shame to turn down a home schooled kid while accepting drug addicts and drop out and non-citizens? Here is to hoping common sense prevails.

Justin

redneckrecruit

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2008, 11:44 »
Thank You for your help. And i will work on my grammar, but does anyone have experience in getting a waiver for being homeschooled?  (I think it's a type 2 educational waiver). Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2008, 12:56 »
Since your home-school diploma is recognized as valid by your state, I wouldn't think that a waiver should be required at all.  (Of course, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time...)   ::)

Go to http://www.navy.com/about/before/enlistmentstandards/#highschoolequivalency.  Note the paragraph which says "You’ve earned a high school diploma or certificate of competency or completion at home. Get complete details from your recruiter."

So you do need to sit down and discuss this with a Navy Recruiter.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008, 01:02 by G-reg »
  -  Dennis Miller

KJC88

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2008, 02:50 »
Love the id as well like Justin said.

Anyways, I studied high school overseas and got a Bachillerato in Spain so just had to translate my transcripts and grades and had to fax them over to my NUKE recruiter. It's all good to go, I did Algebra 2 with Trig and had an A.

I think you should be good to go as well, so long you have transcripts or a document(s) stating all your grades, especially having a "C" or above in at least Algebra I.

Talk to your recruiter to get this on a move on, if he isn't NUKE he can and does have the ability to contact a NUKE recruiter in the state to work with you and your files. Also he will be the one to reclassify you and renew your contract. I would consider studying my last two years of high school overseas a bit more intense than home school in Oklahoma.

Good luck.

withroaj

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2008, 04:51 »
This one shouldn't apply to you, but who knows nowadays?  The state of California recently had legislation in the works to require parents who homeschool their children to have a degree in education in order for the state to recognize the diploma (I think I heard about this three weeks ago, maybe a month).  While that should only affect those schooled in the Democratic People's Republic of California, CA's regulations have a funny way of trickling into the national agenda.

Let's hope your recruiter has the sense to put you in the pipeline.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2008, 10:41 »
This one shouldn't apply to you, but who knows nowadays?  The state of California recently had legislation in the works to require parents who homeschool their children to have a degree in education in order for the state to recognize the diploma (I think I heard about this three weeks ago, maybe a month).  While that should only affect those schooled in the Democratic People's Republic of California, CA's regulations have a funny way of trickling into the national agenda.

Let's hope your recruiter has the sense to put you in the pipeline.

Off topic, but just another reason to hate California, and hope it disappears into the ocean.

:)

Justin

Samabby

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:01 »
Attend your local CC for 2 semesters with good results and the Navy will perk up.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2008, 10:13 »
Off topic, but just another reason to hate California, and hope it disappears into the ocean.

:)

Justin

Yes but without California, we would not have all those "fruits and nuts" to keep us entertained.  Not only that, but usually I can determine how crazy an idea truly is just by how much of California supports it. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:10 »
Thanks for the info Matt. Interesting stuff.

Justin

redneckrecruit

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2008, 02:30 »
First, thanks for the info. But now i have a second question on the same lines. I did go to a tech school for machine trades, and have a lot on paper from the school along the lines of "stick to it ness"  ( Such as: national technical honor society member, skills usa district officer, perfect attendeess for the full 2 year class, and graduated top of my class, along with several awards from several contest ). I had mentioned these to my recruiter but have never even had the opportunity to talk to the nuke recruiter, it's all gone thru my "normal"  recruiter. I would think this would help but, i don't know the "nuke way".  YET
One more thing i have been trying to talk  to someone at the nuke recruite command center but get nothing but put on hold by a machine. I've stayed on hold for over an hour before and no change. Is there a better way to get a hold of someone that can help actually get this passed. I would hate a great opportunity like this pass me by because they didn't have all the info.   

redneckrecruit

« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2008, 01:40 »
 :) first thank you to every one for your help, i just received my new contract (for nuke). so ill be seeing you in a few years. thanks again. :)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2008, 01:56 »
:) first thank you to every one for your help, i just received my new contract (for nuke). so ill be seeing you in a few years. thanks again. :)

Good on you for not giving up.  Good luck to you in boot camp and then the training pipeline.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2008, 03:14 »

Congratulations!!! Keep us posted throughout and don't hesitate with any questions you have.

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2008, 03:42 »
Good luck through the pipeline future shipmate...

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2008, 12:41 »
Outstanding!  Very good news, indeed!

Best wishes to you,
 - Greg
  -  Dennis Miller

redneckrecruit

« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2010, 05:17 »
It's been a year sense I went to boot camp, my grammer isn't any better, but the instructors get a kick out of my spelling so no worries. As for anyone that might have been homeschooled before hitting the pipe line. Don't worry i am currently in the top 1/3 of the senior power school class with no slowing down. Nothing worth having comes easy and this is no exception.

co60slr

« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2010, 05:35 »
It's been a year sense I went to boot camp, my grammer isn't any better, but the instructors get a kick out of my spelling so no worries. As for anyone that might have been homeschooled before hitting the pipe line. Don't worry i am currently in the top 1/3 of the senior power school class with no slowing down. Nothing worth having comes easy and this is no exception.
Great update!

(Tackle that weak area someday though.   You're ok now, but superiors will get more judgemental and critical of spelling/grammar over time). 

Co60

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?