Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Where to get a copy of my Security Clearance  

Author Topic: Where to get a copy of my Security Clearance  (Read 18608 times)

dragonhunt83

Where to get a copy of my Security Clearance
« on: Aug 20, 2008, 09:38 »
I am a Ex Navy Nuke. I was on the carrier (CVN 74) John C. Stennis. Who do I contact to get a copy of my Security Clearance?

Thanks

dragonhunt83

Re: Where to get a copy of my Security Clearance
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2008, 10:04 »
I just got out in June 2008 and I looked through my personnel file.  I did not find it in there.

Do you know the address to St Louis?

Thanks again

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:01 »
Been a while since I was an enlisted nuke, but I just looked at my ESR and found a copy of form OPNAV 5520/20 titled "Certificate of Personnel Security Investigateion, Clearance, and Access."  It records all the security investigations conducted and clearances obtained during my enlisted career, so you should have something like that.
Dependent upon where you worked, you might have been investigated and cleared by another organization (DOE) at some point, shich would mean you probably filled out an SF 86 form.  The paperwork associated with these forms should have an address that you could write to get information.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:01 »
You could go through all that, but why?

Your clearance expired the moment you were no longer assigned to the Stennis.  It is no more.  It is a piece of history.

Having had a Navy (DoD) clearance at one time does not make any difference out here (except that it may make the investigation process quicker).  Anyone who investigates you for a government security clearance out here will either have access to your prior security clearance records or won't care.  They will go and get the proof of your prior clearance.  That's their job.  They won't ask you for it, and they won't take it from you if you offer it.

Even if you found someone in the DoE or civilian world who required a copy of your clearance documentation, they will not accept it from you.  They will only accept this type of documentation from the issuing authority.

If you were permitted to deliver your own copy of such a document, it would be no time before someone got his stolen, altered, counterfeited, and used to get some terrorist a clearance.  The boys and girls in security are smarter than that.

If you just want something to show that you once held a clearance - for bragging rights - just show a picture of you wearing a Stennis unit stripe on your uniform.  It'll be worth as much.  Or, you can ask the FBI for your file.  You have to submit a FOIA request for it, and it may take a long time to get.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?