Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu do I stand a chance at getting into NUPOC honeypot

Author Topic: do I stand a chance at getting into NUPOC  (Read 25993 times)

eggy86

do I stand a chance at getting into NUPOC
« on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:39 »
Hello,
I am currently a senior at Elmhurst College, IL and have just turned in my preliminary application for the NUPOC program.  After researching I feel like I might not be as qualified as my recruiter makes it seem.

G.P.A = 3.0
B.S. Chemistry / German
In good physical condition - run track

If I do get selected the interview process somewhat scares me, based on the fact I have not taken a calculus or physics class in 2 years.  Am I wasting my time and getting my hopes up for something that might not be in my reach?

Thanks
Ashley

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: do I stand a chance at getting into NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:46 »
What is your plan if you don't get NUPOC?

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:46 »
Should you be nervous?

No, you are female.

eggy86

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2008, 10:41 »
If i do not get into the program, I will look into enlisted which I did at first.  Then my recruiter told me to talk to a officer recruiter since I am in college and have a qualifying gpa.   I just feel like with my gpa, I will not even get looked at for selection. 

Ashley

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2008, 12:21 »
Don't go enlisted as a back up plan.

That's like settling for a cheese sandwich if you can't get a steak.

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2008, 08:38 »
I agree with everyone else.  From what you've posted you should be competitive.  Review your Calc/Physics (Schaum's outlines are good).  Your application will probably be at my office soon if it isn't already there, when I get back in the office I'll check for it.  Good luck and if you have any questions send me a PM or post back.

Offline X-Nuke

• A nuke gone horribly wrong
  • Moderate User
  • Life just doesn't get any better than this!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2008, 01:48 »

I'd pretty much go along with everybody else as well.  Just never paint yourself into a corner.  In my case, I was turned down as an officer candidate the same day I received my offer letter to go to work for the Navy as a civilian nuclear engineer.  I worked at Mare Island on projects like the decommissioning of the USS Nautilus as well as developing some new and innovative technologies around radioactive decontamination.  I went on from Mare Island to Three Mile Island where I worked in the early stages of post accident recovery.  The thing that really struck me years later was that if I had gotten my wish for a Plan A, I would have missed out on what was an incredible set of opportunities.  Always best to leave your options open and have a Plan B, C, etc. 
Another day, another opportunity for excellence!

eggy86

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2008, 01:27 »
So far I have turned in my application, but have not received any news.  It has been about 2 weeks since I turned it in, and all my recruiter has said is they are trying to set up my physical.  Does it usually take this long?  Thanks.

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:04 »
It can definately take some time.  So don't sweat it too much yet.  If you ever want to know where your stuff is send me a PM and let me know your full name and I'll check on the status of your application. 

mishin

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2008, 10:56 »
Do i stand a chance?

My mom's friends son had been in the army, and that is suppose to be different from the navy.  The only thing I am concerned about is whether or not what happened to him will happen to me.  He wanted infantry and ended up doing mechanics, and the what the recruiter told him had been totally different.  When he said other 'alternatives' suddenly that word struck something in me, and I remembered that one of the recruiters had asked if I had a different 'alternative' in mind one day.  That word suddenly lead to a new thought.  That perhaps what my friends son had said might be true.  He also said to becareful of what contract you sign, that I can understand.  Could you guys maybe fill some light on this matter? Also want to ask if I had scored an 88 on the practice test, do I have a chance at getting in the Nuke program? should I prep some more? (my recruiter was not in the Nuke program, I trust him more that 50% but not wholly)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:02 »
This topic is for NUPOC, which is an officer program. That said, yes you have a chance. I wouldn't sweat getting another job right now, because if you screen nuke, you are going to be a nuke. Don't worry about that. However if you don't make the cut on the exams, then you will have to choose another job. Again, don't worry about them pulling a switcharoo on you. Just keeps us posted and we can help you through the process, even if you don't get nuke. Just focus on the exams for now and don't sweat the other stuff.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2008, 11:03 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:03 »
My mom's friends son had been in the army, and that is suppose to be different from the navy. 

Less water, more daylight

mishin

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:05 »
woops my bad =/
thanks a lot again!! I feel a lot less discouraged =D going to go do some studying now  ;D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:07 »
woops my bad =/
thanks a lot again!! I feel a lot less discouraged =D going to go do some studying now  ;D

No problem, you didn't know what NUPOC was. :) You do seem a little wired about all of this. Try to relax, you are going to be fine. No one is out to screw you over or anything like that. Your recruiter may not have all the answers about nuke, but he will try to do the best he can for you. For the rest, you have us. Just relax. :)

Justin

mishin

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:46 »
k will relax,
 Just this Nuke program being so great, and you guys and my recruiter being so nice makes me feel like this is way too good of a deal. Every time I hear anything that my hint to this deal being fake makes me panicky.  I don't mean to be taking up too much space talking about myself (this is the last one, NUPOC topic!right!)  But if I hadn't encountered this deal, my next three years in community college would've been really hard (worrying about where to live, making money, and getting food everyday would be priority over school), and transferring to my dream school ($$)would be near impossible.   :'( I am so happy that I had this opportunity to encounter you guys and this program.  Thanks again. (calmed and relaxed)

Antitachyon

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:48 »
Hello,
I am currently a senior at Elmhurst College, IL and have just turned in my preliminary application for the NUPOC program.  After researching I feel like I might not be as qualified as my recruiter makes it seem.

G.P.A = 3.0
B.S. Chemistry / German
In good physical condition - run track

If I do get selected the interview process somewhat scares me, based on the fact I have not taken a calculus or physics class in 2 years.  Am I wasting my time and getting my hopes up for something that might not be in my reach?

Thanks
Ashley

Have you ever gotten a grade that was lower than a C in college? I did, and I was not accepted to NUPOC even though I was more qualified than someone else who was accepted though he had been in college for only 2 years and was not even seeking a degree in the sciences, whereas I had a Bachelor's Degree in Physics and Mathematics, a waiver from the National Director of the NUPOC Program, a letter of recommendation from a former NUPOC Instructor (who happened to be my high school physics and calculus professor), and the highest ASVAB score that the local representative of the nuclear program had ever seen (I also had a 3.4 GPA and nearly 3 years of research experience in experimental physics when I graduated 6 months before). However, I am now an an enlisted Electronics Technician (the most selective rating in the nuclear field and the only one that is qualified to actually operate a nuclear reactor) and I am quite satisfied with that. If you do plan to go to Washington DC, make sure that you study beforehand - review your general math, physics, and engineering classes, because you will go before a board of engineers and you will have to convince them in half an hour that you are capable of completely solving a complex scientific problem (your recruiter should have a packet of NUPOC study materials for you to use). Also, when you speak to the admiral make sure that you are confident and outright. Admirals do not like hesitaters or bullshitters.

Best of Luck!

Antitachyon
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 12:07 by Antitachyon »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2008, 12:59 »
Antitachyon welcome to NukeWorker.  We're happy to have you contribute.

BUT, (I rarely do this to a first time poster but you deserve it) I am going to take you to task.

This is Bravo Sierra

If you were really special (which none of use fit that description) then they would have given you ET before Boot Camp in a Contract.  But, instead the Navy just gave you a nonspecific Nuke contract. 

Just because they tell you that (either) it is most selective or most selected doesn't mean a thing.  Well it does mean that they are filling your head full of crap to feel good about yourself.  To that end it worked.  You actually believe that you are something special.  To which I would reply, you got less than a C in college so you aren't anymore special than the rest of us.

Otherwise the post sounds good.  Thanks for posting.

Naw, I say BS to the whole post. But what do I know, I was only a lowly mechanic now making about 3-4 times what this guy makes.  ::) Naw, they didn't just reject him for one bad grade. If his post is any indication, I can make a highly educated guess why he was rejected.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 01:02 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2008, 01:03 »
Admirals do not like hesitaters or bullshitters.

Ding ding ding!

justin

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:20 »
Have you ever gotten a grade that was lower than a C in college? I did, and I was not accepted to NUPOC even though I was more qualified than someone else who was accepted though he had been in college for only 2 years and was not even seeking a degree in the sciences, whereas I had a Bachelor's Degree in Physics and Mathematics, a waiver from the National Director of the NUPOC Program, a letter of recommendation from a former NUPOC Instructor (who happened to be my high school physics and calculus professor), and the highest ASVAB score that the local representative of the nuclear program had ever seen (I also had a 3.4 GPA and nearly 3 years of research experience in experimental physics when I graduated 6 months before). However, I am now an an enlisted Electronics Technician (the most selective rating in the nuclear field and the only one that is qualified to actually operate a nuclear reactor) and I am quite satisfied with that. If you do plan to go to Washington DC, make sure that you study beforehand - review your general math, physics, and engineering classes, because you will go before a board of engineers and you will have to convince them in half an hour that you are capable of completely solving a complex scientific problem (your recruiter should have a packet of NUPOC study materials for you to use). Also, when you speak to the admiral make sure that you are confident and outright. Admirals do not like hesitaters or bullshitters.

Best of Luck!

Antitachyon

LMAO this and a used condom might get you a stale cup of coffee in NYC. I'm especially amused at the thing about ETs being selective and the only rate allowed to qualify to operate the reactor. It makes me wonder how stupid MM me qualified as a RO.

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:43 »
Best of Luck!

Antitachyon

Apparently they don't like arrogance, either.

Now if I can just figure out the B in BWR this former MM may have a shot at doing something other than wiping up oil.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2008, 04:46 by Jason K »

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:50 »
LOL I know, the BWR is quite the concept and after a life of PWRs is a bit tough to wrap your mind around.

Imagine going from a PWR to a BWR then 15 years later going back to a PWR with boron thrown in to boot.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:46 »
LOL I know, the BWR is quite the concept and after a life of PWRs is a bit tough to wrap your mind around.

Imagine going from a PWR to a BWR then 15 years later going back to a PWR with boron thrown in to boot.

Mike

Eff that... I am just hoping to make it the last 3 weeks of systems and last 2 exams without pulling my hair out.  8) Now that I have forgotten everything PWR, I don't think I want to ever go back LOL

Justin

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:21 »
Apparently they don't like arrogance, either.

Now if I can just figure out the B in BWR this former MM may have a shot at doing something other than wiping up oil.

I used to tell my ETs that as ETs they should hold their chins high--but keep their noses at a respectable level.

I felt this way only after qualifying EWS and seeing first hand what they were capable of doing and bonding with the my "nucbros" who kept me outta the poops. They made me look so good as an E-6 EWS that I was the only blueshirt on the EWS ORSE rotation on the Tommy T. Although that blows in general, I am aware that it was not my intellectual prowess at tweaking potentiometers that helped raise me to such heights--I was standing on the shoulders of giants.

Oddly, I don't believe I could have excelled as a MM, God knew I had to be an ET. I cannot tear something down and rebuild (without having "extra" parts left over) anything mechanical. ETs mostly just pulled out a board or a switch and put a new one in. Hardest part was getting the wiring correct, which was aided by a wire removal form.

ETs must realize that everyone took the same ASVAB and the same NFQT. The lottery, for most, was responsible for the rest.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Khak-Hater

« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:16 »
Oddly, I don't believe I could have excelled as a MM, God knew I had to be an ET. I cannot tear something down and rebuild (without having "extra" parts left over) anything mechanical. ETs mostly just pulled out a board or a switch and put a new one in. Hardest part was getting the wiring correct, which was aided by a wire removal form.

Funny you should say that.  I've always felt like I owe my entire career path to that cramped Feed Station Watch at S3G.  I did fine in power school, and while qualifying as a nub MM at prototype, I'd demonstrated that I was a quick and thorough learner, dedicated and hard working.  I was second in my class on the qual curve, but those steam driven feed pumps revealed me to be no REAL mechanic.  Between startups, shutdowns, and that SGWLC system, I had quite some time with that watch.  To this day, half the skin on the back of my hands is scar tissue from my experience there [nothing like the smell of cooking flesh, only to realize that it's your own].  I got through it on the first try, but it was obvious to the MM staff that I was no mechanic.  So, as an act of mercy, they gave me ELT school, and the rest is history.  Thus the moral of the story, always give it your best, and life often has a way of working out for you (i.e., don't concern yourself with the future, just do well in the present). 

MGM

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:45 »
I got through it on the first try, but it was obvious to the MM staff that I was no mechanic.  So, as an act of mercy, they gave me ELT school, and the rest is history. 
MGM
You obviously were still a better MM then I was.

Do you know what they do with truly bad mechanics?

They commission them!  That way, they don't ever get touch anything again.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?