Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu any Degree?  

Author Topic: any Degree?  (Read 23827 times)

Glowing_Since_09

Re: any Degree?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2009, 12:17 »
I think, try to get a degree that accommodates your experience to let your Navy work for you. In that case, can anyone tell him what degrees would be appropriate? I have no clue, and I would like to know myself.

co60slr

« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2009, 12:34 »
I think, try to get a degree that accommodates your experience to let your Navy work for you. In that case, can anyone tell him what degrees would be appropriate? I have no clue, and I would like to know myself.

How can anyone possibly answer that question?  "Can someone please tell me what career field I should pursue after the Navy?"   No, we can't.

The good news is that many people figure it out after 6-26 years in the Navy.  For example, I've seen nuclear engineers leave the Navy and pursue a theological degree.  (Pun about "finding religion" in nuclear power was considered, but intenetionally omitted).  :-)

What do you want to do in 5, 10, 15 years and what education, continuous learning, and professional experience do you need to get there?   It's NOT just about "a piece of paper". 

Co60

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2009, 01:24 »
Sorry, I meant along the lines of the original question by BlondeRocker. What degrees should be obtained after service if you wish to continue in the Nuke industry commercially.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2009, 01:25 by Glowing Since 09 »

JsonD13

« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2009, 02:32 »
Ok I hope this helps.
I  just got done doing the whole "find my nuclear civilian job" due to being medically disqual'd off a sub.  I am a prior enlisted(Sub EM) officer. 
There are great nuclear paying jobs IF: you have a degree and experience.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of a legitimate degree.
DO NOT think the Eng Tech degree will be treated the same as an ABET Eng degree.  Yes, the employers know about Thomas Edison and the other degree factories, I heard it from their mouths.
I was offered 92K plus bonus/moving/signing bonus. That was based on having a legit degree and EOOW qual'd.
I specifically asked about enlisted operators with great experience, but no degree.  I was told everytime (6 plants) under those circumstances, they would start at the operator level around 50K.  If that is what you want, then great.  I am just trying to relate the real world experiences I have dealt with.
When I was enlisted we would sit around hearing about these six-figure jobs waiting for us when we got out.  Not true.  I cant tell you how many shipmates of mine have learned the hard way over the last 12 years.

I am more than willing to share more details if interested.
Hope this helps.

I would like to know specifically which plants and what positions you were applying for.  Thomas Edison is not a degree factory by national standards and anyone who thinks so hasn't done enough research on the school.  I was skeptical when I started on that degree path, but I took the time to research it as any nuke who was worth their weight would.  There seems to be a mindset about the TESC degree that originates from people who believe that their earned degree elsewhere means more because it took more time to obtain.  As someone who has earned MULTIPLE college degrees I can attest that the TESC is no easier nor harder than any other school I've been to (4 colleges).  The engineering tech degree is pointed towards technicians, not engineers.  As for what you get in NPS, it is equivalent to what a tech degree should be.

Jason

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2009, 07:00 »
I cannot overemphasize the importance of a legitimate degree.
DO NOT think the Eng Tech degree will be treated the same as an ABET Eng degree. 

Please stop spreading misinformation.  With an bachelor degree in engineering technology you can do engineering work.  You also can go on to a master of engineering as well.  I have done R&D engineering work and have been a senior engineer with an electronics engineering technology degree.  In my last engineering job, we had four engineers with engineering technology degrees.  Two of them are lead engineers.  I know of two people with electrical engineering technology degrees who have PhD's in engineering.  I personally believe a bachelor degree in engineering technology is better than an engineering degree because the degree is more practical.  We are smart, can do design,  ... and ... we can apply it!

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

Offline merchantg

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Sep 12, 2009, 01:38 »
TESC is not a degree factory as others have stated my wife completed her B.S. through them. She is a straight A student graduated top of her class in X-ray school with a class full of 4.0 students due to competitive entry, and she struggled with TESC classes. You recieve NO credit for core classes all your traditional classes must still be completed as with any B.S.

That being said a Eng Tech degree MAY or MAY NOT lead to gainful employment. I believe it is a great option for us working folk, for leading into a Masters which is what I am doing.

Even highly regarded schools requires very little for prereqs for a M.S. usually only recomending auditing a couple courses to be familiar with certain concepts. So does a B.S. in Social Science from Harvard somehow show greater nuclear knowlege than a prior enlisted Nuke with a NET degree from Thomas Edisson? I don't think so and obviously neither matter to most highly regarded colleges with M.S. programs in Nuclear Engineering.

Hell you can complete a M.S. from GA Tech in Mech Eng completely online and no one could tell you did from the paper work. And this is the school constantly making breakthroughs in Nano, Nuclear, Solar, etc...

I am much more wary of the schools that charge 35k+ a year with empty promises of great jobs when you get done, than the working mans Tech degree with more practical hands on schooling. If I saw a work history at the same time as earning a degree I would hire that person first with all else being equal. 

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 12, 2009, 08:22 »
degree MAY or MAY NOT lead to gainful employment.

It is important to note that any degree does not guarantee employment.  Your skills, experience, and attitude are as important.  You could have a degree from a top brand name college, but if your interviews are horrible, you may have trouble landing a job.  A degree is a credential you earn by earning credits at a college or university.  For many positions, it is the ticket to entry.  No ticket, no entry.

When choosing a degree, look at what courses you will take.  Do the courses align with what you want to do for employment.  Is there a market for it?  Examine closely and choose your path.

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?