Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help!!

Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 3874 times)

nione46

Help!!
« on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:19 »
A little background on me: I'm 18, currently in my second semester of college (by the end of this semester I'll have 40 units to my name), always excelled in school, never been in trouble with the law, my current college GPA is kinda low 3.11, but I know that I'll raise it to at least 3.5 if not more after this semester. I'm applying for NROTC once the scholarship opens next month, and if I get all the requirements done in a year I'll apply for NUPOC as well.

I was recently talking to my recruiter and he told me in order to enlist in nuke that I would need my mom's naturalization number. She was born in China, but came to the US at an early age ~12 years old (close to 40 years ago), and was naturalized a long long time ago. My dad was in the Navy, retired GMG1, and told me that in order to get his security clearance it took him approximately 2.5 years because he is married to my mom.

I haven't really brought up enlisting to my parents. They both want me to get my degree first before doing anything. My dad is all for the Navy, but he wants me to be an officer and go NROTC. My mom doesn't really want me to be in the Navy, her opinion is that the vast majority are uneducated and basically good for nothing (though I strongly disagree with her on this). I haven't asked my mom for her number yet because quite frankly I don't want to deal with all the headaches that come along with talking about the Navy with her. I know that I'll definitely need a security clearance for nuke, and that I can't get the clearance without the naturalization number, so without that number, I can't go nuke.

So the questions I had were:

1. Is there a way to get her number without asking her?

2. If I do ask her, it might have to be under the pretenses of something else. Should I tell her that I need her number for the NROTC scholarship?

3. Can anyone think of anything else that might make sense to my mom for me needing her number?

4. My recruiter said that I most likely will get picked up for STA-21 because I'll be a female nuke thats a minority (Chinese/Italian), I was wondering if this is true or just a bunch of BS?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:38 »
I think you are kinda getting your wires crossed or I'm not reading this correctly.

Are you trying to enter the navy as and Officer or Enlisted?

As for #4 if you enter under NROTC then the STA-21 program is not applicable it's for converting enlisted to officer.

nione46

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:44 »
I am going enlisted.

I'll only go Officer if I get the NROTC or NUPOC scholarships.

And I know STA-21 is a commissioning program, I was just wondering if my recruiter was right in saying that I had a good chance at getting picked up for it for the reasons he mentioned.

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:31 »
And I know STA-21 is a commissioning program, I was just wondering if my recruiter was right in saying that I had a good chance at getting picked up for it for the reasons he mentioned.

Be very, very careful about what recruiters say.  STA-21 is definitely a good deal however not everyone gets it.  The earlier you are in the nuke pipeline the better chance you have.  However, this requires a good GPA throughout NNPTC and NPTU beings this is the only real way to evaluate students.  I honestly believe, and its just my belief so take it for what its worth, but I don't know that race or sex has much to do with getting selected.  Maybe age because the Navy is looking to get people who are young and more likely to stay in.  Once again, just my opinion.

If you are going to enlist make sure you will be happy being enlisted or just don't do it.  I have seen many a good sailor not get selected for STA-21.  It is by no means guaranteed.  Either way, good luck.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:10 »
I am going enlisted.

I'll only go Officer if I get the NROTC or NUPOC scholarships.

Your sex and ethnicity could help (they are on the application)

However. The most important thing will be your evals (or grades if still in the training pipline), your personal statement, and the interviews. All of these will be considered when the CO recommendation letter is written. The weight of these things will be the major determining factor on your selection.

I can also attest to the post above stating that you should apply early while still in the training pipeline. Nearly all the personnel I knew that where seriously applying themselves toward getting their package in made it. However on the ship only one out of 5 people I knew made it (actual number not statistic).

Also remember NNPTC will support you in trying to get a package in but they will not do it for you it is up to you to show the initiative to get it done. Look at the STA-21 website https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/ look at what documents are required for a package and get started on getting some of them now. It will be easier to get things like official transcripts and SAT results while you are not at NNPTC.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:36 »

So the questions I had were:

1. Is there a way to get her number without asking her?

2. If I do ask her, it might have to be under the pretenses of something else. Should I tell her that I need her number for the NROTC scholarship?

3. Can anyone think of anything else that might make sense to my mom for me needing her number?

1. http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalizationrecords.html describes how you can find the records, but you would need a notarized document signed by her  to get permission. The USCIS site states the same.

2,3 : Do you really want to lie to your mother to join? Wouldn't that in itself be an integrity violation ?!?!? After all, like it or not, it is HER personal information.

nione46

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:25 »
Do you really want to lie to your mother to join? Wouldn't that in itself be an integrity violation ?!?!? After all, like it or not, it is HER personal information.

Well its not really lying, I talked to an NROTC recruiter and he did say I'll need a copy of the certificate once I submit my package.

And yes, while it is her personal information, I do think it is unfair to prevent me from achieving my dreams (to join the Navy) because she doesn't want me to. I was told by my recruiter I basically can't enlist without the number. Also, a Marine buddy of mine told me that without the number, there is no way to become officer (and he works with this kinda thing all the time).

But yeah, I figured it out. So thanks everyone.

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2009, 04:06 »
One thing to keep in mind.  You are not eligible for the NROTC Scholarship if you have over 30 college credits.  There are still other Officer programs available out there.  I know that you can apply for Nuclear Field Instructor Duty if you still have 2 years of college left.  Right now they are in fairly high demand for certain recruiting districts.  Also, you can't avoid getting your mother's information unless you don't want to be in the Nuclear Field.  You will need a waiver whether you go officer or enlisted.  It is more of a formality than anything.  Those waivers rarely ever get disapproved.  And as far as the STA-21 program, yes you always get a slight edge when you are considered a minority.  That does not mean that you can ever say that you will definitely get picked up.  It always has to do with the whole person concept and the strength of your competition.

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:29 »
First of all, do yourself a favor and finish college.  You're just setting yourself up for more opportunities in life. 

The fact that you are thinking about deceiving your mom should show you something is wrong.  You may not agree with her, but don't disrespect her.  She will find out of course, and that will make for many awkward situations.

Why are you in such a rush to get in the Navy?  I'm not saying the Navy or enlisting is a bad thing.  I spent 6 years in as a Nuke MM/ELT.  The one thing I regret is that I did get my degree while I was in, or before I joined.  Once you become an Nuke there are a ton of opportunities out there for sure.  You're young and in school already, so why not finish?  I joined for a lot of reasons, and one of them was that due to financial reasons I couldn't make it through college.  My younger brother was itching to join the Army after college, and I talked him into going to school.  He's a smart kid, but he wanted to go straight to Iraq.  There's no doubt he will still be in the Army after he graduates, but he will hopefully be better prepared for life's many obstacles. 

Another thing, recruiters will tell you just about anything just to get you to join.  Do yourself a favor, do some research and ask people who have been there!

Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2009, 12:34 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?