Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu gettin in and making it honeypot

Author Topic: gettin in and making it  (Read 10143 times)

bchockey47

gettin in and making it
« on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:44 »
Im been lookin into the navy now for 5+ years

when i went to the recuiter after taking the pretest they told me i quailified for the nuke program. I was lookin into computers since ive been working with them for many years. Im very good at math and science but i do have a problems with spelling and reading. Also i have very bad credit less then 10k and like 36k school. i dont have a degree yet ether. will this stop me from becoming a nuke?

whats the school like in sc? do u need to choose mm et or em before u finish? do you goto all the schools? im also thinkin about gettin married next year some time, would it be a good idea to wait till i got a station to have her move with me?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2009, 11:55 by bchockey47 »

Offline BK3

• Light User
Re: gettin in and making it
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:17 »
Im been lookin into the navy now for 5+ years

when i went to the recuiter after taking the pretest they told me i quailified for the nuke program. I was lookin into computers since ive been working with them for many years. Im very good at math and science but i do have a problems with spelling and reading. Also i have very bad credit less then 10k and like 36k school. i dont have a degree yet ether. will this stop me from becoming a nuke?

whats the school like in sc? do u need to choose mm et or em before u finish? do you goto all the schools? im also thinkin about gettin married next year some time, would it be a good idea to wait till i got a station to have her move with me?

I am not a nuke yet, so I cannot answer all your questions. That said, you do not need a a college degree to be an enlisted navy nuke.

You get your rating of MM, ET, or EM near the end of boot camp (I think I read here,) which is decided by, "the needs of the Navy." So although you are given a preference sheet, it doesn't really seem to matter. A lot of people seem to not want to go MM, and I fall into that boat only because I suck with machines... although my time working on A-2 Bowling Pinsetters is giving me a little more confidence, but anyway...

I'm not certain about the credit score, your Nuke Recruiter should be able to give you a more definite answer but I would imagine if it is a problem, a waiver probably exists for it.

bchockey47

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:23 »

You get your rating of MM, ET, or EM near the end of boot camp (I think I read here,) which is decided by, "the needs of the Navy."

i heard that being an et or em will get you a better job after the navy

Offline BK3

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:33 »

i heard that being an et or em will get you a better job after the navy

TBH, from what I've read around these forums from people who have retired from the Navy and now work in the Civ world, most of their coworkers were Ex MM.

To me, it seems like a Nuke is a nuke is a nuke in the civilian world. I know this is not exactly the case, but as far as getting a job in the civilian sector, all three (four I guess ELT) are desirable.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:21 »

Khak-Hater

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:35 »
I hope you know that you will fail your training.  Because you've failed the most basic of tasks.  That is to know where to find information and how to understand it.  You are doomed at NNPS.

That's a little hard core man.  As I've said many times, I've always been amazed at who turned out useful and who turned out useless by the end of their nuke training.  The nuke brute-force training machine has the wonderful ability to mold anyone who can handle the pressure into a useful crewman.  A year of "mando-40s" can work wonders.  Let's not scare him off before he gets a chance to try.

bchockey47,

Just apply, and if they let you in, go for it.  Do your best, work hard, and keep a good attitude and you'll go far.  You have very little choice in what you become (MM, ET, EM).  The Navy will choose for you [the Navy will choose a lot of things for you].  Every egomaniac will tell you that their rating is the best, and every whiner will tell you that he wishes that he was something else, but in the end, you're all qualified as nuclear operators.  The only real difference it'll make is how handy you'll be at home repair.  MMs will tend to be a little better plumbing, while EMs will tend to be a little better at rewiring a light fixture. 

If your girlfriend is settled where she is right now, I wouldn't move her until you get your feet solidly on the deck.  Once you get your footing, everything will flow much better for the two of you. 

Good luck and anchors away,

mgm

Khak-Hater

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:11 »
Yep' just like in the fleet.  Why shield them (from more than radiation at this point) from the effectiveness of the jolt and shock that will be their future.

Never tell a man that he's going to fail.  Tell him what he's going to have to go through to succeed.  Let him make the decision of how much he's willing to do.

And I disagree on the Mando-40's making you a good sailor.  I don't believe that.  You either are or are not.  The Mando hours will not instill the ethics/integrity/honor/sacrifice/attention to detail that is demanded in the Navy Nuke Fleet to someone that doesn't have them to start with.

I never said that Mando-40s make a good sailor, but I know a lot of good nukes who made it through on Mando-40s, as well as some bad ones who were always on voluntary hours.

Your way would use luck and hope instead of brute force trauma to effective eliminate the weak links from the program.

I say fail them early and fail them often.

Were you actually a nuke?  This sounds more like you've been watching too many Top Gun/Navy Seal/Marine Recon movies.  The Navy nuke program was never about eliminating weak links.  It's about building a quality chain, one link at a time.  It's about pulverizing pre-screened trainees with knowledge and methodologies so that they learn what they have to know to work together to make steam out of neutrons.  It's about steam demand. 

In my day (i.e., 20+ years ago), I don't remember them actively trying to fail anyone out of the Navy nuke power program.  They applied pressure until they achieved the desired results.  Not everyone could handle the pressure and/or work load, but intentionally failing people out would've been counter productive.

The Navy nuke program doesn't need to fail out half of its students too prove how good it is.  Its operational safety and propulsion availability records prove how good it is.  Let those egomaniacal freaks in the special forces or naval aviation fail out their trainees to boost their own sense of achievement.  Exclusivity is for dudes with small wangs.  As for us, we make steam, on demand, without accident.  What else could we need to prove? 

mgm

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:57 »
4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other. NukeWorker.com’s goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

This is a friendly reminder directed at all who use this forum, noone in particular.  The rule copied above is among the 10 found here: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html that we all agreed to when we signed up for this fine forum.  If there are any questions please feel free to PM me and I will get you an answer.  

As I said above, this is not directed at any one person in particular.  If you feel that I'm pointing at you please remember that there are 3 other fingers pointing back at me.  (I need this reminder from time to time also)

Peace, ($1 to Marssim)
Tom
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 02:59 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Khak-Hater

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:38 »
Nuclear NASCAR,

Noted.  Thanks for the reminder.

HoneyComb,

I don't think that I said anything about coddling anyone or being PC, nor did I imply that everyone should pass.  The discussion was about applying pressure to achieve the desired result. 

Have you ever worked with steel?  I have.  You heat it up and hammer it into shape.  That's how you build strong links in a chain.  Nothing that you described about your experiences is contrary to what I've said. 

I think that, perhaps, you might be slightly confused about the motivation for the events that we both experienced.  The goal was not to fail anyone out [specifically].  It was to make everyone stronger.  Now, we certainly can't make our young friend stronger if he never comes through the door.  So knock off the negative waves.  No one ever succeeded by concentrating on failure.

Thanks,

mgm

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:49 »
Honeycomb's Stream

____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X
Khak-hater's Stream
               ____
             /        \
     O    /            \
     \l/ /               \
      l /                  \
     /\                     X

Both yellow streams look even to me, I guess that means it is a draw

You guys are getting way too into this one.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 03:49 by Preciousblue1965 »
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

GoLonghorns

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2009, 05:37 »
Just had to add my 2 cents.  When I read this thread, I laughed.  The original reply from Honeycomb is funny, nostalgic even.  I went through the pipeline starting in the mid to late 90's and from what I remember it was ridiculously hard as it was happening.  Of course looking back now, it seems my ordeal was compounded a lot by my age, own immaturity, and desire to go drinking and blow off study hours.  In my fleet experience, I was on Enterprise 98-02 and Ronald Reagan 05-08.  The drastic change in quality of baby nukes between ships was appalling.  Of course it takes just a second of grasping the depths of PC regulations and standards to realize that new nukes aren't pushed as hard as they used to.  I know it seems like the "I used to walk to school barefoot" claim, but it is really is excessive.  I did my best as an LPO to impress my own work ethic and credo of the work always comes first.  Troubleshooting, standing watch, and performing maintenance is what you are paid for.  Making your rack, shaving, and ironing your uniform is what you do so you don't get in trouble.  It seems today's navy has that swapped around.  Without taking more space by citing examples, which I am more than capable of doing, today's navy is looking more for sailors than nuclear operators.  In the perfect world you get both.  In the real world, you get what you emphasize and make important.  I would rather have the best tech/troubleshooter work for me than the navy poster boy.  Of course I don't for second take away from the nukes that went through before me, as I am sure it was more difficult and they might be saying the same thing for my generation, but it actually is scary to see the kids the pipeline is pushing through these days.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:46 »
For the record I have better pressure in real life than you give me credit for .... ;) :P

Like for example:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5030.msg28012.html#msg28012

You don't have to take my word for it you can ask around the instructor circles.  This is a problem.  A really big problem planted, watered and nurtured by the Navy of new.  The saying is you reap what you sow.

Oh I fully understand and will agree with you assesment of the current program standards(or severe lack of).  I have done my tour at NPTU, the final leg last chance to weed out any who can't cut the mustard.  I can say first hand that there are no longer standards, at least none that are worth mentioning.  I fully expect to read about a MAJOR nuclear incident occuring in the next decade.  Heck they were pretty close in NPTU NY with one of their screw ups, had the plant power not been limited for training purposes, it could have easily been a big problem. 

You have to admit that the drawing was pretty good though.  ;)

mlslstephens

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:15 »
Okay, this comment isn't meant to take either side, but only to enlighten.  :P  If I were going to take sides based on names alone, I would have to go with HoneyComb because based on my Naval Career, Khak-hater and I are on opposing sides.   ;)

Now,

Have you ever worked with steel?  I have.  You heat it up and hammer it into shape.  That's how you build strong links in a chain. 

KH, I disagree with you about how to build strong links in a chain.
Your argument about working with steel is incomplete.  Simply heating it and hammering it into shape isn't what is changing the strength, toughness, and hardness.  What matters is the cooling process.  To make "strong links in the chain" do you think you should anneal them or quench them?  I already know the answer.  My undergraduate study is focused in the metallurgy field.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 10:16 by NaVLI4 »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:04 »
Okay, this comment isn't meant to take either side, but only to enlighten.  :P  If I were going to take sides based on names alone, I would have to go with HoneyComb because based on my Naval Career, Khak-hater and I are on opposing sides.   ;)

Now,

KH, I disagree with you about how to build strong links in a chain.
Your argument about working with steel is incomplete.  Simply heating it and hammering it into shape isn't what is changing the strength, toughness, and hardness.  What matters is the cooling process.  To make "strong links in the chain" do you think you should anneal them or quench them?  I already know the answer.  My undergraduate study is focused in the metallurgy field.  ;)

Well it also depends on how high of a temperature you get it to, whether you cross the lower transformational temperature and begin forming your different grain structures.  Furthermore, if you reheat said steel after the quenching or annealing procedure, you can relieve the "stress" by heating it to just below the lower transformational temperature for a given time based on thickness.  Otherwise there could be some "trapped" stresses in the metal that could lead to material failure at values much lower than the Yield strenght characteristics. Now are you also going to be "normalizing" these pieces of steel or just leave them in a "killed" condition.

It almost sounds like I know what I am talking about doesn't it?

bchockey47

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:24 »

well from what i can tell MR. PIG over here hates something and is very negative and im sorry u have this issue

I asked my questions cause i have been lookin and lookin and it seems everyone has there own ideas..

im very smart and a quick learner! i want the best that i can get, and from what i can tell ill learn the most and be the best i can as a nuke.

thanks for all the links ill read more and try to piece together the truth i thought this was a place to set things straight but all i got was more flak

ps thanks mr monkey!!!

ill take what i can but nuke or computers is my deal and i score high enough for both of them

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:58 »
For the record I have better pressure in real life than you give me credit for .... ;) :P

Nothing that a good dosage of Saw Palmetto, Bee Pollen, Goji and Tribulus couldn't fix ;)

On-topic : Study hard!

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:54 »

well from what i can tell MR. PIG over here hates something and is very negative and im sorry u have this issue

I asked my questions cause i have been lookin and lookin and it seems everyone has there own ideas..

im very smart and a quick learner! i want the best that i can get, and from what i can tell ill learn the most and be the best i can as a nuke.

thanks for all the links ill read more and try to piece together the truth i thought this was a place to set things straight but all i got was more flak

ps thanks mr monkey!!!

ill take what i can but nuke or computers is my deal and i score high enough for both of them

Learn to spell, capitalize, and punctuate.

Mike

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:03 »

ps thanks mr monkey!!!

200 Quatloos that the newcomer ends up TAD to non-nuke billets for the majority of his career(since they won't fail him out).

Khak-Hater

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:47 »
Preciousblue1965,

Nice drawing.  Point noted.  I was willing to let it go, but since we can't seem to do that, let's go a little deeper.

Honeycomb,

In your last post to me, you interchanged strengthening steel with hardening steel.  They're clearly not the same thing.  Some steel needs to be hard (e.g., a file or the cutting edge of a sword), but with hardness it becomes brittle.  Have you ever used a file as a prying tool.  I have.  I had to buy a new file.  Hard and brittle isn't always good for all applications.  Once again, as someone pointed out, this goes back to quenching. 

Now I wasn't going to digress with the steel analogy any further, but since we have so many enthusiasts, what the heck.  I don't have a degree in metallurgy, so all this transitional temperature stuff is beyond my personal experience.  I grew up in the woods with a dad who was a part-time gunsmith.  After school, while he was working at the factory, I'd make repair parts so that he could fix people's guns when he got home.  I'd make springs, and case harden frames, but my favorite activity was making Damascus-steel shotgun barrels.  Now that takes a lot of tries to get it right.  You metallurgists should try it some time.  Nothing like watching barrel split under the pressure of a double or triple load of powder to put your theories to the test.  I guess my point is, it takes all kinds and tempers of steel to make a shotgun [or a valve for that matter, though I've never made a valve from scratch]. 

I want HY100 (or 80 depending) that has been tested for ALL flaws.  And, excluded for the smallest imperfection.

Over the last twenty years in this business, I've supervised and/or managed hundreds of nuclear workers.  I'm yet to meet the perfect employee [in or out of the Navy].  I've had a few who at least always tried to do the right thing, and I've had several who thought that they were perfect.  I prefer the former to the latter, since I've found that ego is generally inversely proportional to performance.  Over those twenty years, I've found very few who I couldn't train and/or find some useful way for them to contribute to the cause, and above all, we've gotten more than our share of the work done, without incident.  Of those few that I wasn't a good enough manager to make useful, most went on to find useful jobs elsewhere. 

There's no such thing as bad steel, just poor preparation techniques or misapplication.  A good metal worker rarely throws steel away.  It always has a use [even TAD is a use, since the non-nukes are always going to insist on nukes pulling their fair share of those billets].

Lastly,

I'm really kind of disturbed by all of this talk about how the United States Navy is just moments away from a nuclear accident.  This is an open forum where anyone can log on to read the opinions of "nuke workers."  The last thing we need is some California antinuclear freak accessing the site and quoting this kind of bitch session about how these whippersnappers aren't as good as we were back when the control rods were made of wood.  If you're that concerned, that, in your professional opinion, the Navy Nuclear program's standards have sunk so low that an impending accident is likely, then please contact you Senator or Representative so that we can cut it off.  If you're right, you need to do something about it [as a good nuke and a good citizen of country that needs nuclear power].  If you're not that convinced, then please consider whether you should be saying it on such a public forum.

Thanks,

mgm

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:09 »
There is nothing good coming out of this thread except hate and discontent towards each other. 

Therefore, I'm going to lock it up for now.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?