Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke School Question honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke School Question  (Read 5615 times)

Fermi2

Nuke School Question
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:10 »
Does NNPS still teach railroad tracking?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Nuke School Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20 »
Sure do.  They even teach MARMKE still.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:42 »
One of my favorites, which I haven't forgotten to this day:

BBROYGBVGWGSN

Comes in handy when you have to measure KV range stuff with a hand-held fluke and a high volts probe of unspecified origin.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:54 »
I just wondered because I taught my daughter how to railroad track when she was in 5th grade, the first time she used it in HS her teacher tried to give her a zero because it wasn't the "way it was supposed to be done" Trust me I went off on that and they ended up giving her back the grade she earned. By the way she's been using it 6 years now and has never missed a conversion.
My son is making an attempt at college chemistry. I tried teaching him to railroad track but he can't quite pick it up.
As for those other acronyms, I don't know what they mean as I never used them but railroad tracking is something I use to this day.

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:27 »
We called it 'Stokeometry' in High School.  'RailRoad Tracks' works for a good memory tool too.  And, you can solve any problem if you know what the final units are supposed to be ... or etc.

General Physics Corporation has included this method in their ACAD Classical Physics material.  They call it the "Railroad Tracks Conversion Method".

Many of the students I teach in basic fundamental classes, (those not from the Navy) have never seen this method and find it quite foreign initially.  Then after unit conversion mistakes made using their own method, they all begin to use the railroad tracks and never look back.

I too have taught my daughters this method. 

mlslstephens

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:15 »
But, the 'RailRoad Tracks' method was an early 8th / 9th grade lesson in science for us at my public school. 

Railroad tracks...so easy; a Caveman can do it. ;)

It's good to be back on NW.  Been a little busy at work lately.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 02:15 »
I'm the prototypical caveman/throw back so if I can railroad track anyone can.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?