Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lateral Transfer into Nuke
honeypot

Author Topic: Lateral Transfer into Nuke  (Read 7339 times)

SSBN_SeaWolf

Lateral Transfer into Nuke
« on: Jun 01, 2009, 07:43 »
Hello All,
As I was thinking: What if someone cannot become a nuke, say out of college due to technicalities or such. If they decide to go conventional surface fleet. I mean, apply to OCS, get an officer rank, get their SWO pin and put in the required time and finish their contract. Can they after this seek a position with the Nuke family in the Navy. Half of the Nuke SWO tour is a conventional fleet, so I don't see this as a negative move. This will only leave, Power School and Prototype school. I imagine if the person wants to be a bubblehead, this may be a bit more difficult, but nonetheless, it will only require extra schooling at the Submarine School in CT. As far as the pipeline is concerned, only a CVN tour is left out the rest is basically the same. Once the NPS and NPTU are complete, will they head back to conventional fleet or directly to a CVN?
Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. I would think this is possible, since the Conventional SWO obligation would be fulfilled, and if this person really wants to be a Nuke, i do not see how this is a bad deal for the Navy as they are already getting a person with their SWO pin and Surface Fleet Experience. Thank You in advance.

Please shed some light on this, Great minds....... 8)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Lateral Transfer into Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:13 »
It is possible to go SWO(N) from SWO.  It is not possible to go bubblehead from SWO.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:37 »
So basically, SWO to SWO(N) is allowed! Does the contract need to finish for one to do so or is it allowed during their commitment? What is the procedure to initiate this process within the Navy?

Thank You.  ;D

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2009, 02:59 »
Lateral transfers are available, but difficult depending on what everyone else is doing in all the communities involved.  If you are trying to get into a fully manned community from any other your request will most likely get denied.  Also, if you are trying to get out of an not-fully-manned community they will most likely not release you.

Also, your minimum initial service obligation IS NOT the same thing as having your community obligation complete.  For example, Submarine Officer is a 5 year MISO, but your community obligation is not complete until AFTER you Department Head SEA tour, roughly 9 year point.

No one official will say this, but the Navy does NOT want you to laterally transfer.  They want you to either stay in your current community or get the F out, especially when nukes are involved.  For the most part, there are already people serving in whatever community your are trying to get into so you are not needed.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2009, 06:29 »
Lateral transfers are available, but difficult depending on what everyone else is doing in all the communities involved.  If you are trying to get into a fully manned community from any other your request will most likely get denied.  Also, if you are trying to get out of an not-fully-manned community they will most likely not release you.

Also, your minimum initial service obligation IS NOT the same thing as having your community obligation complete.  For example, Submarine Officer is a 5 year MISO, but your community obligation is not complete until AFTER you Department Head SEA tour, roughly 9 year point.

No one official will say this, but the Navy does NOT want you to laterally transfer.  They want you to either stay in your current community or get the F out, especially when nukes are involved.  For the most part, there are already people serving in whatever community your are trying to get into so you are not needed.

-K to you....  (for this post and your unsolicited ridiculous jab at SWO(N)'s in another post)

You are wrong....

I am a SWO(N) who got to lateral transfer to EDO.   I was at MIT with 4 submarine JO's who got to lateral transfer to EDO without doing a DH ride.  The class behind mine had 5 sub JO's that lateral transferred into EDO, and the class behind that one had three.  So, the navy will let folks lateral transfer, even from nuke, as long as they have enough qualified bodies to send on ships that go to sea...that is our main job.

And, not everyone who wants to should be allowed to lateral transfer.  The attitude of "Let me have the job I want or I'll get out" is ridiculous.   You chose to be a submariner...if you didn't know that the navy wasn't likely to let you out of being a submariner before you did a DH ride, then you should have done more research into the job before you accepted your commission.

BTW...the topic is lateral transfer into nuke....not out of nuke.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2009, 06:40 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2009, 11:10 »
-K to you....  (for this post and your unsolicited ridiculous jab at SWO(N)'s in another post)

You are wrong....

I am a SWO(N) who got to lateral transfer to EDO.   I was at MIT with 4 submarine JO's who got to lateral transfer to EDO without doing a DH ride.  The class behind mine had 5 sub JO's that lateral transferred into EDO, and the class behind that one had three.  So, the navy will let folks lateral transfer, even from nuke, as long as they have enough qualified bodies to send on ships that go to sea...that is our main job.

And, not everyone who wants to should be allowed to lateral transfer.  The attitude of "Let me have the job I want or I'll get out" is ridiculous.   You chose to be a submariner...if you didn't know that the navy wasn't likely to let you out of being a submariner before you did a DH ride, then you should have done more research into the job before you accepted your commission.

BTW...the topic is lateral transfer into nuke....not out of nuke.

With all things recruiting/detailing, you can't say that I am wrong... or right.  There are way too many variables in play every lateral transfer board, so it always depends.  What was your year group?  I am guessing that it is/was fat, at least in submariners, for that many to be approved.  How many people applied for the lateral transfer in those groups?

I was simply stating my observations, which is what forums are for... I think.  Also, -K for a jab at surface (target) sailors, really?
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2009, 11:11 by juggalonic »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?