Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Wanting to join but  

Author Topic: Wanting to join but  (Read 2602 times)

GMC

Wanting to join but
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:19 »
Hello all here,

I am a M.E. with a 3.0 Gpa Graduated in May '09 and have lost 75 lbm ,worked really hard lately to get physically fit for OCS and was looking forward to Submariner life as Nuke. However, I was recently told that NR would not be inviting me for an interview. So basically my dreams and plans gone and now needing to know if there is anything that can be done to change the situation or if anybody knows of nuclear jobs of similar training or other branches engineering offerings? I am very dumbfounded at this because apparently my recruiter applied for an academic waver and that is what they said no on. So, I am shaking my head and questioning why and what do now? I thought that my only limitation was my eyesight like -11 power . Sorry to be running on but, I am at a lost and need some sleep and A PLAN.

Thanks for anybody help or good advice :-\
GMC

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
Re: Wanting to join but
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:46 »
I'm sorry to hear you won't get an interview. Did they say you could re-apply at a later time?

If serving in the Navy is a priority you could look at the Civil Engineering Corps (CEC) program. It would involved engineering and give you opportunities at project management. You would be doing construction work but you would be serving your country and using your degree. After your initial commission, if you still want to go Nuke, perhaps you could transfer into the community. However, I have no idea how easy/hard that would be.

On the other hand, you can apply to Nuke plants or companies that construct Nuke facilities. Have you checked the nukeworker forums for other job opportunities?

neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:31 »
I am willing to bet that the "why" is that they have tons of applicants that don't have 3.0 gpas. I have zero knowledge of the selection process, other than the info gleaned from similar questions on these forums, so I don't know for sure.

That said, you would make an excellent NLO candidate. I would search nuke worker and the various nuclear plant job sites. You will make more money than you would have as a JO or engineer anyway.

But, if the Navy is what you want, then perhaps there is another field you can get into. I am sure the Navy can find a place for someone with an ME.

Goodluck!
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2009, 12:35 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:57 »
Could always go enlisted MM/Elt...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?