Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Oyster Creek Cooling Towers

Author Topic: Oyster Creek Cooling Towers  (Read 46232 times)

Offline ascend68

• Very Lite User
Oyster Creek Cooling Towers
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:11 »
The NJ state senate held a hearing on proposed legislation to force Exelon to build cooling towers. The committee was split 3-3 and postponed any final decision until February. Exelon stated that if forced to build cooling towers they would shut the plant down. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Do you believe Exelon will shut down the plant? Is it economically feasible for them to actually build the cooling towers? Will the NJ senate force Exelon's hand? Many jobs and 321 million dollars of NJ tax revenue are on the line and I would be shocked if in this national economic climate they would force a shutdown. What are your thoughts?

JustinHEMI05

Re: Oyster Creek Cooling Towers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:49 »
I think its clear, that if it isn't economically feasible to build cooling towers, they will shut the plant down. If it is, they won't. I also don't think Exelon would bluff by saying that they would shut the plant down if forced. They just announced the shut down a bunch of conventional units for economic reasons, so if forced to spend a ton of money on this plant, I could definitely see them shutting it down.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:41 »
The watermelon greenies are also aiming their cooling tower sights on a certain INPO 3 Region IV plant as well

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:26 »
Alright, everybody.  Brace for ignorance.  I have questions.

Many of you out there already know my level of understanding of power generation.  I don't really know anything at all about "the grid," except that my lights turn on and I pay a bill to my local utility wherever I live. 

I wonder, as a response to this post, what happens when a big plant shuts down.  I know that plants shut down for outages or due to trips all the time, but is there an appreciable increased load on other plants/units when one plant/unit shuts down?

What is the long-term impact on other, nearby plants when a plant decommissions?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:54 »
Alright, everybody.  Brace for ignorance.  I have questions.

Many of you out there already know my level of understanding of power generation.  I don't really know anything at all about "the grid," except that my lights turn on and I pay a bill to my local utility wherever I live.  

I wonder, as a response to this post, what happens when a big plant shuts down.  I know that plants shut down for outages or due to trips all the time, but is there an appreciable increased load on other plants/units when one plant/unit shuts down?

What is the long-term impact on other, nearby plants when a plant decommissions?

Grid Load and power generation must be balanced.  When a plant goes down, the load dispatcher must get power from somewhere else.  There is some spinning reserve that can take the load in the event of a trip at a base load nuke.  If the spinning reserve can't pick the load up fast enough or there is not enough reserve, people will get cut off to maintain the grid.  Once the power on the grid is enough, the people can get put back on.  Remember the rolling blackouts in the early 2000's in California?

The 2003 blackout was a bad event that was caused by a cascading failure of the grid.  This is the worst case consequence of grid problem.  The thing that sucks about nukes is the reliance on offsite power to startup and in most cases run.  There are certain situations where you can get what is called a load rejection and still survive.  In this situation, your house loads are all on your own main generator and you are no longer on the grid.  I have only seen this on a simulator and it can't happen at 100% power for me.  In the event of a loss of offsite power at 100%, the RX would trip before it could get low enough in power to not cause an automatic trip by a safety system.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 10:13 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:01 »
I wonder, as a response to this post, what happens when a big plant shuts down.  I know that plants shut down for outages or due to trips all the time, but is there an appreciable increased load on other plants/units when one plant/unit shuts down?

Instantaneous trip, unscheduled...frequency changes based on load of generation as a percentage of its contribution to the inteconnection. Since that's the Eastern Interconnection, it wouldn't even wiggle the chart recorder pen. Drop something like STPEGS in the ERCOT, probably see frequency go to 59.5 for a minute or so before governor action and AGC push back to 60.

Long-term loss like a decommissioning: Depending upon the fuel profile of generators near major consumers, energy bid prices will go up based on what other fuel prices and capacity factors are nearby. Large baseload coal units can cost anywhere from $10-30/MWH, simple cycle gas with $6/MMBtu gas somewhere around $60/MWH, newer comb. cycle gas around $35/MWH, baseload nuke around $25/MWH. Since in the majority of energy markets a nuclear unit with decent capacity factor is one of the cheaper sources of power, the cost will go up.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 10:04 by HydroDave63 »

withroaj

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:25 »
Long-term loss like a decommissioning: Depending upon the fuel profile of generators near major consumers, energy bid prices will go up based on what other fuel prices and capacity factors are nearby. Large baseload coal units can cost anywhere from $10-30/MWH, simple cycle gas with $6/MMBtu gas somewhere around $60/MWH, newer comb. cycle gas around $35/MWH, baseload nuke around $25/MWH. Since in the majority of energy markets a nuclear unit with decent capacity factor is one of the cheaper sources of power, the cost will go up.

...So you're saying that decommissioning has more of an impact on the energy market than on the generation/transmission hardware, right?  Does that mean that our general energy infrastructure is over engineered for the moment (however insufficient to cope with the expanding energy consumption that accompanies societal development)?

For some reason, this topic is one of the things that shows how NNPP operation is significantly less than a drop in the bucket.  When I think of dropping a generator I think of the plant/operator reacting to maintain continuity of power to...  Either way I can't even fathom ACTUAL energy infrastructure.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:10 »
I think of the plant/operator reacting to maintain continuity of power to...  Either way I can't even fathom ACTUAL energy infrastructure.

I can tell you how it is done for me.  I am going to make about 955 MWe on average.  On a good cold day I can get that to about 965 MWe and a hot summer day it goes down to about 950 MWe.  My house loads are about 40 MWe.  We use all we need and put the rest on the grid.  The load dispatcher talks to us every day.  We have a voltage schedule that we try to maintain.  I can try and meet it by changing the excitation on my main generator.  In some cases I can't meet it (very rare) because of limitations to my essential bus voltages or even my generator capability curves.

Since I work at a base load unit, I don't care what the frequency on the grid is.  I am maintaining a load on my generator and it won't go any faster or any slower than the grid.  Only when there is a major power/load imbalance (main turbine is not matched to the RX) will my turbine go to manual and then try to maintain a frequency.

I only react to problems by either punching out (trip) or trying to stabalize the plant during a transient.  I can not think of a situation where I would ever try to maintain the grid by trying to keep the power flowing from me to the grid.  I don't care about the grid if I am in a transient.  I only care about my plant and keeping the public around me safe.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:16 »
...So you're saying that decommissioning has more of an impact on the energy market than on the generation/transmission hardware, right?  Does that mean that our general energy infrastructure is over engineered for the moment (however insufficient to cope with the expanding energy consumption that accompanies societal development)?

In no particular order:

The electrical infrastructure has to have slightly more capacity, both in generation and transmission, in order to make up for changes in demand, trip of generation or relaying of transmission lines, planned transmission outages, etc. Overengineered...not by much. Basically, the guys with slide rules in the 60s who planned and built most of the major projects with tons of design margin, are the only reason we aren't living with rotating blackouts as in Iraq.

Energy market - after we take a cheap generation source out of the mix, prices go up. The bidding on energy goes on worldwide 24/7/365. PM if interested in details.

Decommissioniing affecting hardware - When decommissioning a generating station, some utilities remove some or all of the switchyard. There are some devices in the switchyard (capacitor banks, reactor banks) that are useful for the transmission folks to maintain control of system voltages at key locations. Not having voltage support at Point B can make it nearly impossible to supply point D from point A, despite what greenies and politicians and marketers think.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:40 »
Since I work at a base load unit, I don't care what the frequency on the grid is.  I am maintaining a load on my generator and it won't go any faster or any slower than the grid.  Only when there is a major power/load imbalance (main turbine is not matched to the RX) will my turbine go to manual and then try to maintain a frequency.

That's not quite correct, because:

1. To pick up load, you put more steam on your turbine, which puts more torque on a rotating mass, and for a fraction of time, your excess torque changes speed to affect the phase angle of the magnetic coupling of your generator to Das Grid. Mo trons flow out. When torque equals sync'd with the grid, stable at new power output. But yes, 99.999% of the time you are at grid frequency, which brings us to your first point of

2. Yes, you do care what the grid frequency is, but may not be aware why. If the grid was at 61 Hz, you have protective relaying that will open your output breaker within a couple seconds, not to mention your various mechanical overspeed devices. If the grid was 59.5 Hz, that timer is a few minutes long. Grid at <58.0  and the turbine will trip in a few seconds.  Those low frequency trips are to avoid the LP turbine blade root cracking from sub-synchronous resonance. A pretty good presentation on this theme can be found at http://www.midwestreliability.org/04_standards/drafting_teams/ufls/BarryFrancisPresentation081024.pdf

3. You also care about grid voltage, and more recently the grid ops guys have to care about your switchyard voltages. To state it in nuke terms, they have to care about the offsite source to your Vital Bus. For grid operators out there, thats why you have NERC Std. NUC-001-1
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 11:49 by HydroDave63 »

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:07 »
That's not quite correct, because:

1. To pick up load, you put more steam on your turbine, which puts more torque on a rotating mass, and for a fraction of time, your excess torque changes speed to affect the phase angle of the magnetic coupling of your generator to Das Grid. Mo trons flow out. When torque equals sync'd with the grid, stable at new power output. But yes, 99.999% of the time you are at grid frequency, which brings us to your first point of

2. Yes, you do care what the grid frequency is, but may not be aware why. If the grid was at 61 Hz, you have protective relaying that will open your output breaker within a couple seconds, not to mention your various mechanical overspeed devices. If the grid was 59.5 Hz, that timer is a few minutes long. Grid at <58.0  and the turbine will trip in a few seconds.  Those low frequency trips are to avoid the LP turbine blade root cracking from sub-synchronous resonance. A pretty good presentation on this theme can be found at http://www.midwestreliability.org/04_standards/drafting_teams/ufls/BarryFrancisPresentation081024.pdf

3. You also care about grid voltage, and more recently the grid ops guys have to care about your switchyard voltages. To state it in nuke terms, they have to care about the offsite source to your Vital Bus. For grid operators out there, thats why you have NERC Std. NUC-001-1

I think you are splitting hairs a bit too much.  You are right that I have protective relays for important motors when the frequency is not about 60 Hz.  What I am saying is that I don't control grid frequency.  For every day operations I do not give it any thought because it is out of my control anyway.  Also notice my last sentence about the main turbine.  That last sentence covers abnormal stuff.  Yes I have Overspeed, BU Overspeed, and electronic overspeed devices.  If those ever actuate, I will have a seriously bad day at the power house.  

The Power/ Load imbalance comes in fast and can catch turbine before I get a turbine overspeed trip.  What trips me is the RX trip due to a RPS actuation.  Regardless of what the turbine is doing, I have 2817 MWt to put somewhere.  I don't have the capacity to handle it all through my turbine bypass valves or safeties.  RPS will kick in probably on high pressure first.  It will catch other RPS setpoints but it is pointless to argue what setpoint hit first because the end result is the same.  The RPS then causes my turbine trip.  Don't confuse cause and effect.  The results however are the same.  I hear my safeties lift and have a pissed off plant in a transient.  I will do my immediate actions the same way for either case and then work the EP.

If my plant has a turbine trip at 100%, my RX will trip on a safety system called ARTS.  Same thing occurs for me, I do IA and then go to the EP.  Regardless of what does it to me, I react to symtoms.  If my RX trips, I will always have a turbine trip.  If my turbine trips above 40% power, I will always have a RX trip.  I will do the same thing regardless of what did it.  This is why I don't care what casued it.  No matter what situation I am in, I react to symtoms with my procedures as I was trained.

Yes I have performed offsite S.T. many times and called the system load dispatcher for info on offsite lines.  I think you are reading way too much into what "I don't care" means in this context.  I care about voltage and frequency on normal event free days.  My priorities are to operate the RX safely and protect the health and safety of the public.  I will never let generation concerns come before that.  If stuff is not going right on the grid, "I don't care" means that I am carrying out actions to keep the plant safe.  If I have to trip and use my onsite sources, so be it.  If I am on my diesels and have no offsite power, when I get everything stabilized on my end, I will eventually get to a spot in my procedures to try and recover the offsite sources.  Until these actions occur, I really don't care about the grid because I have other higher priorities.

I think it would be better if we argued about imaginary power.  Do I burn more uranium when my MVARS are higher or lower?  I think I burn more uranium when my MVARS are higher.  I bet that will overspeed trip many pure electrical theory guys out there  ;)

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 12:51 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:36 »
True, true...wasn't meant to criticize your view, just wanted to refine a bit for benefit of the readers.

I think it would be better if we argued about imaginary power.  Do I burn more uranium when my MVARS are higher or lower?  I think I burn more uranium when my MVARS are higher.  I bet that will overspeed trip many pure electrical theory guys out there  ;)

I'd agree that when the generator runs at a lagging p.f. , more uranium is burned, but this depends on where on the 'D curve' the generator is operated. If your generator would support a .8 p.f. leading, then that will burn more uranium than .9 p.f. lagging. The answer lies in "which p.f. ( MVARS higher or lower) results in the largest Apparent power output. MVA is the bottom bottom line in your uranium question.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:43 »
More Uranium is burned with higher MVAR because the currents are higher on the main generator.  (I^2)R losses means that I have to burn more to keep my same real power output :)
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 12:46 by The Nutty Neutron »

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:49 »
I have heard of times for when Tukey point tripped and it caused a slight sudden change in the sound of the steam lines and turbine.  The plant was running fine and nothing bad happened on our end.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:54 »
Based on this discussion..it seems as if slight demand changes in the grid (within specific parameters) could actually be identified in the monitoring of plant systems, without actually looking at grid demands..Is this correct?

Grid demand to generator to turbine to steam to Rx..

I'd venture to say the closest correlation and rapidly changing parameter, looking at a  strip chart record over time, would be HP turbine outlet pressure. Rx power would follow, yes, but there will be time lag, with variables all throughout the secondary cycle such as MSR levels, feed heaters, etc.

Going back to nutty's bar bet on MVARs, one could probably use stator water cooling temp or H2 temp/pressure to get some weakly correlated data as well.

LaFeet

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:56 »
Basically  if we do not have the capability to generate sufficient power (including transmission loss, I squared R, and so on, etc.) than rolling blackouts and grid failures will occur.  Our current "Grid" system is woefully inadequate.... especially in handling losses from unit shutdowns during high power demands.

Either we revamp the grips AND build more power plants....... or we DRAMATICALLY reduce or loading on the system.

Come on WE are Americans     we gotta up the ante.  We have the technology to rebuild and improve the grids.... and we now how to build SAFE and reliable power plants ....

Nuff said  

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:12 »
Not really.

Having been at Fermi during the blackout period of 2003 about the only thing you see is Frequency Changes and maybe some turbine speed changes that are driven by frequency.

That's about it. I've been on a Unit when another Unit on the grid rejected about 800 MWe and to be honest outside of a blip on frequency that lasted about .00000001 seconds we didn't see it, and we were about 7 miles from that unit.

So far as spinning reserve. IIRC it's a NERC regulation you have to have either spinning or Connected via 2 "Hard" ie separate connections to 2 independent grids the ability to hanbdle the trip of your largest unit plus 10%.

So far as your own plant staying up after a 100% Load rejection, I know there are plants designed for it but I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to survive it.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:17 »
Indeed... Eastern Interconnection carries about 1,000,000 MW summer peak, so losing an 800 MW unit might run ya down to 59.99, just statistical noise lost in the grass. Losing 800 MW out West would run down to 59.96 or so.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:39 »
Indeed... Eastern Interconnection carries about 1,000,000 MW summer peak, so losing an 800 MW unit might run ya down to 59.99, just statistical noise lost in the grass. Losing 800 MW out West would run down to 59.96 or so.

Good point. Not many know the Eastern and Western Grids are not connected.

By the way, Nutty Neutron is not entirely correct. The 2003 Blackout was not a classical cascading failure.

Mike

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:01 »
Good point. Not many know the Eastern and Western Grids are not connected.

By the way, Nutty Neutron is not entirely correct. The 2003 Blackout was not a classical cascading failure.

Mike

So what was the 2003 black out then?  A power plant goes down.  Lines near a dirt burner sagged and caused a fault.  The fault caused other parts to overload and trip.  There was a computer problem that made things worst.  In the end it was a cascading failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

Read the time stamps of the entires.  

Captain Sully's plane event was not a "classical" Plane crash, but it was still a plane crash.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 09:01 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:47 »
So what was the 2003 black out then?  A power plant goes down.  Lines near a dirt burner sagged and caused a fault.  The fault caused other parts to overload and trip.  There was a computer problem that made things worst.  In the end it was a cascading failure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003

- Referencing the Wikipedia sequence of events, most of which is correct -

Well, the power plant trip was in about the 4th inning. Hours before that, even before the computer lockup at lunchtime....planned outage work began on one of the 345 kV lines in parallel with the Sammis-Star 345 that was the beginning of the cascade. Point being that the other two lines in parallel weer running at or above their 100% summer continuous ratings for an extended period of time. (inspiring NERC Std. TOP-007). The state estimator tool did not give a proper N-2 analysis [ there is still opportunity for anyone to make their first billion $ writing code for a state estimator that works correctly, btw ].

Anywho...the remaining lines in parallel load up and sag into the trees (vegetation management, one of the first places corporate beancounters everywhere cut back, that and equipment maintenance) and relays off as a hard ground fault. As more lines sag into the trees, the remaining lines in other loops to serve the Cleveland area carry more current, I2R builds up heat, more lines trip off.  From there, the Wiki timeline is essentially correct.

The point being that the Blackout didn't start as a computer glitch, a single faulted line finding a single lonely tree, one obscure coal plant tripping offline, etc. as various anecdotal stories would convey. This had several contributing root causes, well identified in  http://www.nerc.com/docs/docs/blackout/ISPE%20Annual%20Conf%20-%20August%2014%20Blackout%20EPA%20of%202005.pdf

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:47 »
- Referencing the Wikipedia sequence of events, most of which is correct -

Well, the power plant trip was in about the 4th inning. Hours before that, even before the computer lockup at lunchtime....planned outage work began on one of the 345 kV lines in parallel with the Sammis-Star 345 that was the beginning of the cascade. Point being that the other two lines in parallel weer running at or above their 100% summer continuous ratings for an extended period of time. (inspiring NERC Std. TOP-007). The state estimator tool did not give a proper N-2 analysis [ there is still opportunity for anyone to make their first billion $ writing code for a state estimator that works correctly, btw ].

Anywho...the remaining lines in parallel load up and sag into the trees (vegetation management, one of the first places corporate beancounters everywhere cut back, that and equipment maintenance) and relays off as a hard ground fault. As more lines sag into the trees, the remaining lines in other loops to serve the Cleveland area carry more current, I2R builds up heat, more lines trip off.  From there, the Wiki timeline is essentially correct.

The point being that the Blackout didn't start as a computer glitch, a single faulted line finding a single lonely tree, one obscure coal plant tripping offline, etc. as various anecdotal stories would convey. This had several contributing root causes, well identified in  http://www.nerc.com/docs/docs/blackout/ISPE%20Annual%20Conf%20-%20August%2014%20Blackout%20EPA%20of%202005.pdf

All of these things occuring by themselves would never end up being so bad.  The combination of events is what did it.  Any large complex system can be brought down if you hit it hard enough in the right spots in a short amount of time.  At some point the stress on the system was too much for it to handle and it all unravelled.

On Wiki they mentioned that they may have saved the grid if they had cut off Cleveland.  How often do large areas have to be cut off for the grid?  I do know that there are days in the summer where they have "orange grid risk" days.  On those days, we will stop some jobs in the power house just to reduce the risk of a plant problem.

I was in Texas when this all went down and I remember seeing the carpet of people on the bridges of New York all trying to get off the island on the TV.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:16 »
On Wiki they mentioned that they may have saved the grid if they had cut off Cleveland.  How often do large areas have to be cut off for the grid?  I do know that there are days in the summer where they have "orange grid risk" days.  On those days, we will stop some jobs in the power house just to reduce the risk of a plant problem.

Although the  Regional Reliability Organizations, Balancing Authorities (one or more member utilities) and even the lone Dispatcher have the legal authority to shed firm load as needed to maintain system stability ( fancy terms for turning off a lot of people's power ), it is not a decision taken lightly or quickly. Paralysis by analysis. In addition to lots of angry phone calls, there is DOE reporting if the manual load shed was 100 MW or greater. No one likes to have to spend a lot of time talking to D.C. after one of these.

To avoid this hassle, and also improve grid stability, smaller blocks of load are spread in non-contiguous areas. After an hour or two, rotate the load shed to other blocks, and restore the first, etc. Doesn't happen too often. Back in the Enron-induced Calif. energy crisis of 2000-2001, there were some rotating load sheds, but I'm not sure if there are any news stories that could be Googled to show how many were affected at the time.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 02:31 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:03 »
BEST DARN THREAD IN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,...THANK YOU EVERYBODY

Usually my IQ drops when reading the PolySci.  I just gained a few points back.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:22 »
The watermelon greenies are also aiming their cooling tower sights on a certain INPO 3 Region IV plant as well

I agree with Marssim because this thread has been very educational for a rookie like me.

And to Dave's statement above, there is grapevine talk about making my plant turn their cooling towers back on, even though we had planned to tear them down. The greenies really need to get educated, but considering I have yet to meet a rational greenie, that isn't likely to happen.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 05:23 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:07 »
The two lines left near Avon Lake were designed to carry that load. Poor maintenance on the tress caused the event. A "cascading " failure is a failure that in some time in the future causes another failure, which in some later time causes another failure. It develops over time. The TMI event is a cascading failure.

The 2003 event happened fast. You'll hear some load dispatchers say if so and so had been on the ball it wouldn't have happened. Fact is once it started bit happen so fast no one could havge stopped it.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:56 »
Nice stuff everyone, but to get back on subject:

TRENTON, N.J. — A proposal to require the owners of a New Jersey nuclear power plant to install water cooling towers that would help revive the waterway at the site has been put on hold.

The Senate Environment Committee delayed a decision on the bill after hearing more than three hours of testimony Monday. It will be considered again in February.

Sen. Bob Smith, the committee chairman, said heated water from the Oyster Creek power plant and chemical runoff are threatening the bay. The power plant circulates bay water through its cooling system before returning it to the bay at a warmer temperature. Fish-kills and algae blooms occur in heated waters.

Exelon Corp., which owns the power plant on Barnegat Bay, said the towers would cost hundreds of millions to build, making the plant uneconomical. Cost estimates on the towers ranged from a low of $50 million to a high of $800 million.
LM

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:18 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a cooling tower require a whole bunch of basically potable water to run?  I heard that Brunswick discontinued their cooling tower project because the salt water running through the cooling tower would coat the entire area with salt, and the amount of fresh water needed to run it was too great.  Are there any other coastal nukes with cooling towers?  I am not a fan of OC, but most of the fish kills there come from fish that would not even be there if it weren't for the plant creating a much warmer environment in the first place.  I have not heard of an algae bloom up there, but I guess it is possible.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:24 »
The power plant circulates bay water through its cooling system before returning it to the bay at a warmer temperature.

Even temperature is covered in their NPDES permit. As long as they are meeting all the conditions of their NPDES, I doubt this will go anywhere but stalled in court. Some plants have gone the route of settling out of court and paying for mitigation programs run at high overhead by the same greenies that initiated the litigation. Another greenie shakedown...

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:20 »
Oysters license contains such language that restricts the time of year that the plant can be shut down to minimize the stress on the fish in the canal.  If I can remember correctly, the time frame for not shutting down is November to April.  Of course if the plant trips or has to be brought down for maintenance, then the canal cools down and fish stress and some meet their maker.  During my time there, Exelon/Oyster did everything they could to avoid shutting down during this time frame.
LM

Offline ExNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2010, 04:12 »
Excellent thread folks!

Just my 2 cents here...

Oyster Creek is probably THE worst and dirtiest plant I worked in. The management running the asylum were idiots and it's amazing they never had an accident. I was an inspector there back in the mid 80's and I swore I would NEVER go back there.

I think I still have some sleazium on me to this day!!

I am enjoying the hell out of this site. Even if I don't ever get back into nukes, I am glad I found it!

Funny, I can look out my back door and see the Limerick cooling towers steaming away. If I had a huge bungee cord, I could slingshot my way to work If I had a job there!

Maybe I should stop and see what they might have in positions.

Again, great thread and I have just begun to enjoy the ride here!

Ex-Nuke
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2010, 04:13 by ExNuke »

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 »
Oysters license contains such language that restricts the time of year that the plant can be shut down to minimize the stress on the fish in the canal.  If I can remember correctly, the time frame for not shutting down is November to April. 

That's partially correct.  I was there for one of their fall outages, and the requirement is they shut down before November so the fish can acclimate to the slowly cooling water temps.  If they aren't shut down before November then they aren't allowed to shut down until the spring when the water temps are rising, otherwise the sudden temperature drop kills off a bunch of fish
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:04 »
If what LM says is only partially correct, would you please explain what he said that is partially incorrect?

I was explaining that the plant can be shut down during the winter months as long as they shut it down before November.  As long as they do it that way the canal temperature isn't such a shock as it cools to equalize with ocean temp and you don't have the fish going to meet their maker.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:49 »
I was explaining that the plant can be shut down during the winter months as long as they shut it down before November.  As long as they do it that way the canal temperature isn't such a shock as it cools to equalize with ocean temp and you don't have the fish going to meet their maker.

Please explain, they can shut down the plant during the winter months as long as they shut it down by November.  I realize that winter doesn't officially start until December but your logical simply mystifies me.  I stand by my previous post.  I was an Exelon employee there for quite a while.
LM

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #34 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:43 »
That is not what you said:

Au contraire, that is exactly what I said.  Try highlighting the rest of the sentence "as long as they shut it down before November."[/b]The plant can be shutdown i.e., offline during the months of November, December, etc (although they try not to) as long as they went offline prior to November.  During the summer months there is not such a step change between the canal temp and the ocean so when the ocean temps start to decline for the winter months the fish are not suddenly shocked and start dying, they have acclimated to the oceans water temp.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 07:45 by walstib »

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #35 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:04 »
Partially correct in that the plant can't shut down from November till April, there he is right.  Incorrect because he doesn't think they can be shut down in the winter months and they can.  As long as they shut down prior to then, so the fish have time to adjust to the oceans temp before the temps start dropping.  

That is the whole basis as to why Oyster creek was told that if they want to have a fall/winter outage they must shutdown prior to November or they're not allowed to shut down.  I was there back in the 90's when that exact situation came up, which is how I learned about all this.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 11:05 by walstib »

BetaAnt

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:37 »
Why not shut shut down in December and have a Christmas to New Years Fish Fry??? :P

Environmentalists are nuts. Warm water attracts non-native species that die-off when the warm water goes away. It returning nature to balance. Solution... install water heaters in the canal to maintain the proper water temperature during shutdown. Bill the customer and explain the reasoning. Have the public complain to the environmentalists.

Or, forgo the heaters and build a cat food factory on the canal.  :P

What did the EIS state before the plant was built? If the lack of warm water returns the area back to before plant conditions, what's the problem then?

BA  8) 8) 8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:33 »
Exelon pulls plug on Oyster.

"NEW YORK, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Exelon Corp (EXC.N) will shut
the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in New Jersey in 2019,
about 10 years before its license expires, in a deal with the
state allowing the reactor to operate until then without
building expensive cooling towers, the company said in a
release late Wednesday."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0920301820101209

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:55 »
Time for the Eye of Sauron to look greedily towards the west...

co60slr

« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:26 »
I love politics.  Here we go....

What is the real problem in Great Bay, NJ?   Radioactivity?  Warm water from nuclear plant?   Hmmm....let's see what the EPA finds:

http://water.epa.gov/action/advisories/fishshellfish/fishadvisories/upload/2008_06_05_fish_advisories_archives_nlfa2000.pdf

Oh look...they have PCBs, Dioxins, and Cadmium.   Yum!   Fish/Shellfish with a side of cancer!   Save the PCB saturated fish from the local nuclear power plant!

But wait...the price of electricity isn't high enough in New England yet.  Let's get Excelon to shut down early, so they can buy electricity at a higher premium from nearby co-ops.   It's already costing residents (who are also plagued with a State Budget crisis) about $16.52 kw-hr (i.e., highest in NE).  The Governor can do better than that!   $20/kw-hr?

I wonder how much pollutants clog the cooling system inlet filters.   Any AUO/NLOs from Oyster Creek care to comment?  I think Exelon should charge NJ for cleaning up the mess the best way they can given the circumstances.

Tree huggers with only Liberal Arts degrees that worm their way into authoritative organizations are a detriment to society.
/RANT
:)
Co58

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:29 »
I spent my karma until late tonight, but yet again, you prove that having an idol to your worship is a good thing.  :P

co60slr

« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:10 »
I spent my karma until late tonight, but yet again, you prove that having an idol to your worship is a good thing.  :P
Nah...sometimes I don't know when to shut up.    Nothing new for me.  ;)

Marssim used to send me a daily private counseling PM (which I appreciated).   I think he's given up though.  LOL

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:11 »
Nah...sometimes I don't know when to shut up.    Nothing new for me.  ;)

Marssim used to send me a daily private counseling PM (which I appreciated).   I think he's given up though.  LOL

Considering I sometimes don't know when to shut up, and often challenged my superiors in a not so professional way, I wonder how we would have worked together in the Navy? ;D

Then again, you're competent so I probably wouldn't have had to yell at you much.  :P
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2010, 05:11 by JustinHEMI »

co60slr

« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:34 »
Then again, you're competent so I probably wouldn't have had to yell at you much.  :P
When has THAT ever stopped a good nuke?   :P

Back on subject...do you have your "Save the Cadmium Fish" t-shirts on order?
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2010, 11:50 by Co60Slr »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:46 »
LMAO no I will have to look into that.  8)

Fermi2

« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:12 »
To be quite honest there isn't anyone I've "met" at nukeworker that I don't think I couldn't work with and enjoy doing so.

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:28 »
BTW I'll bet a years salary they won't shut that plant down in 10 years.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:17 »
BTW I'll bet a years salary they won't shut that plant down in 10 years.

After having been on the "inside" for a number of years, I know Exelon wanted to shut the place down along time ago because of Union difficulties. That was five years ago and before the license renewal.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:26 »
(trust me, I've made a good living off of burying the bones of places "too big to fail"),...

That's what they said about Zion.

And that Iridium (Satellite Telephone) stock I had.

Fermi2

« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:04 »
Oyster Creek is a cash cow. 10 years is a long time. Zion had a bad operating record combined wth Union issues. OC is a decent operating plant.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?