Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ET1 getting out and looking for NON-Plant oerator jobs  

Author Topic: ET1 getting out and looking for NON-Plant oerator jobs  (Read 15321 times)

ET1

I am getting out soon and trying to figure out what fields are good for ET's to go in besides being a plant operator. I've heard that a medical equipment repair tech is a good one that pays well if you don't mind traveling. What else is out there that our training and experience will transfer to? Anyone know of specific places hiring in these fields?

I don't have a definite place in mind but we are considering moving to IL, MO, VA, AR, and FL. I was a staff pick up at NPTU Charleston I have about 6 years in. I am getting medically separated so I didn't do much sea time but I do have quite a bit of experience doing maintenance and operations from NPTU. I don't mind traveling but I would like it to be based out of a large area with good schools and plenty of places for my wife to choose from for employment in the Admin field.

I may still consider being a civilian plant operator but I am just trying to see what else is out there. I love working with computers but I have no formal training so I don't know of a field to go into there that would pay well with no experience.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

JustinHEMI05

Re: ET1 getting out and looking for NON-Plant oerator jobs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:28 »
You would fit in well at a nuke plant as an I&C tech. Depending on the rest of your background, (quals and what not), you might even be able to be hired as an I&C supervisor.

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2009, 05:29 by JustinHEMI »

ET1

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:36 »
I qualified SRO at NPTU. I also qualified MTS while I was there. I wasn't on the ship long enough to get anything but log recorder though. I think I&C tech would be cool, but that's still limited to working in a plant and I'm trying to give us more options for locations. That pretty much ties us down to the same list of places.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:27 »
Do you know how to push a broom?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:29 »

Looks like BZ didn't get his monthly allowance of "warm fuzzies" or he burned through them already(highly doubtful).  ;)
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:24 »
Here in GA we are gearing up for the new Kia manufacturing plant and you maybe a good fit there with all the robotics and computer systems they use.  Nashville, TN just had Nissan motors move thier headquarters there so maybe another place to look.  I would stay away from the medical field they tend not to pay as much, and the market can be tough on em.  I worked in a nuclear pharmacy for a while, it was interesting buy the pay was bad and radiation safety was not very safe.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Re: ET1 getting out and looking for NON-Plant operator jobs
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:45 »
Where you want to live is not as important as getting a job and setting up a career path.  Get what work you can, wherever you can, take night school, and then go to college and earn a degree in what you want to do, then move on.  I left an ETR1 with experience in not just the nuke operational area, and nuclear instrumentation, but the more complex and varied radar, communications, and electronic warfare systems in the conventional navy, as well as leadership experience as an OE Division LPO.  With this background, it was fairly easy to get work in the ship electronic and electrical repair business.  (it also helped that there was still a war going on and the fleet was some 645 ships).  Electronics repair was not my life's work choice but it allowed me to get a BS in business and accountancy, which opened more doors then my nuclear technical training ever could.

If you do not want to work in nuclear power, being an ex-nuke means virtually squat to other employers, and may actually close some doors as employers look for people with experience in their line of business.  So remember your life's experience has been limited to a niche of what is the world.  Focus on the skill set that allowed you to excel in the nuclear field, not the minutia of what you learned and did there and you will find your way.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2009, 11:52 »
If you do not want to work in nuclear power, being an ex-nuke means virtually squat to other employers, and may actually close some doors as employers look for people with experience in their line of business. 
Not in all cases.  This is the only area, in my experience where the national recruiters (e.g. Lucas, Bradley) might help.  This includes help in tailoring your nuclear resume to non-nuclear technical language.  During my post-Navy job search, I dabbled in non-nuclear industry and found some specifically looking for "nukes".  However, given the current state of nuclear industry hiring, a national recruiter will hurt your chances getting into commercial nuke from what I've seen now, but that's a different topic.

Another asset you have is your security clearance.  If you time it right, you can step into a company at separation and start working where a company might otherwise have to put someone through the entire clearance investigation process and wait several months before their new employee can actually start working.  Depending on the company/industry, that may also give you a distinct advantage. 

In any event, getting out of the Navy and doing a complete career shift targeted in a specific part of the country will be the most challenging.   You should expect less pay and more work to get there.  Meanwhile, your "network" of friends and former co-workers will likely help out the most.  Obviously, the majority of people in here can answer nuke questions, but I wouldn't count on a wealth of knowledge on transitioning to non-nuclear in a nuclear forum.

Co60

ET1

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:56 »

haha, thanks, that's very helpful. Nice quote in your signature too. Are you any relation to Hitler?

ET1

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2009, 03:01 »

If you do not want to work in nuclear power, being an ex-nuke means virtually squat to other employers,

That's definitely not the case. Obviously you just haven't looked into it or talked to anyone about nukes going into other fields. I have already spoken with a few recruiters that hire for companies that have nothing to do with nuclear power (or any type of power plant for that matter) and yet they hire nukes almost exclusively.

ET1

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2009, 03:03 »
Egg with that beer, Sir?

I have absolutely no idea what that is suppose to mean or what quoting my comment did for you there, but thanks for the input.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2009, 03:22 »
Yeah I agree, for non-nuke, your best bet is probably to deal with those recruiters. What I have experienced from them though is "Hey, I want you to take a look at this job starting at 35K." Please. :) But besides nuke power plants, you have coal and other natural resource fired plants all over. They all have I&C type departments. For them though, it will be a similar type of search as a nuke plant. Most of the companies that own nuke plants own non-nuke plants. So I would still conduct the search the same way.

Good luck!

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2009, 06:48 »
haha, thanks, that's very helpful. Nice quote in your signature too. Are you any relation to Hitler?

What does Red Foreman have to do with Hitler? And I was serious in my post.

co60slr

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:12 »
Yeah I agree, for non-nuke, your best bet is probably to deal with those recruiters. What I have experienced from them though is "Hey, I want you to take a look at this job starting at 35K." Please. :)
True...I forgot that most important point.  First, they'll try to talk you down from what you're making now.  Then, if you agree to considering jobs for $35K/year, then that is what their recruiter's computers will tell them you're interested in.  It's useless at that point to ask for the $75K/year job that you're really after.  It's easy for them to fill a $50K/year job that fills their database than find you your dream job of $100K/year, which may be a rare find in their database.   

Also, I found those guys in some cases simply search the Internet for you and launch your resume to the interested company.   In a few cases, the company had no idea who the recruiter was or who I was going through him.

So, commensurate with the fundamentals preaching here....if you don't know how to adequately search the Internet in the 21st century, don't expect miracles.

Co60

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:28 »
Where you want to live is not as important as getting a job and setting up a career path.  Get what work you can, wherever you can, take night school, and then go to college and earn a degree in what you want to do, then move on.  I left an ETR1 with experience in not just the nuke operational area, and nuclear instrumentation, but the more complex and varied radar, communications, and electronic warfare systems in the conventional navy, as well as leadership experience as an OE Division LPO.  With this background, it was fairly easy to get work in the ship electronic and electrical repair business.  (it also helped that there was still a war going on and the fleet was some 645 ships).  Electronics repair was not my life's work choice but it allowed me to get a BS in business and accountancy, which opened more doors then my nuclear technical training ever could.

If you do not want to work in nuclear power, being an ex-nuke means virtually squat to other employers, and may actually close some doors as employers look for people with experience in their line of business.  So remember your life's experience has been limited to a niche of what is the world.  Focus on the skill set that allowed you to excel in the nuclear field, not the minutia of what you learned and did there and you will find your way.

I can't find a single thing in this entire post that I agree with.
Being a Navy nuke carries a lot of weight with employers who are not necessarily nuclear.  There are some who aggressively pursue navy nukes because you have a proven record of trainability.

Secondly, it is about where you want to live and how you want to live.  Your job is what you do to finance your life, but it is a part of your life too.  It's all about finding that balance.  You should look only for jobs that you will enjoy in places that you want to live.  Probably about halfway between shoveling sh!t in Lubbock and being Chief Mai Tai Taster on Waikiki Beach would be about right.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:29 »
Probably about halfway between shoveling sh!t in Lubbock and being Chief Mai Tai Taster on Waikiki Beach would be about right.
What's wrong with Lubbock? ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 11:54 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

caleb133

« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:07 »
This is my first in depth look at this site and i am probably not going to be around for long. There is very little info that I have not already heard from my friends and contacts.  And this limited info is not worth sifting through the negativity and bs that people who miss the military and try to create the same environment(see t-ballers see minor leagues).  People leave the Navy to get AWAY from those childish name.  I do not want to speak for ET1 but I am over the military and to valuable to be called names as if it was day one on the boat.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:29 »
This is my first in depth look at this site and i am probably not going to be around for long. There is very little info that I have not already heard from my friends and contacts.  And this limited info is not worth sifting through the negativity and bs that people who miss the military and try to create the same environment(see t-ballers see minor leagues).  People leave the Navy to get AWAY from those childish name.  I do not want to speak for ET1 but I am over the military and to valuable to be called names as if it was day one on the boat.
OK, I've seen some of your other posts.  And believe me, I understand the disgruntled/bitter thing.  But this is not the same as the boat.  This is like walking into the local feed store, staring at all of the farmers that have been doing the farm thing for all of their lives (and generations in some cases) and saying "I hate f#@#$@ farms, they smell like pig s%^$ and the works too hard.  Now someone tell me how to run this stupid f%^&^$ tractor."  Man, that's just rude.  
To pick apart some specific statements:
This is my first in depth look at this site and i am probably not going to be around for long.
OK, so go away, why bother making a big production...just go away
There is very little info that I have not already heard from my friends and contacts.  
Wrong, there is a ton of good info from what to expect in interviews to what's on the POSS to the fact that there is a POSS to what working conditions are like to ... the list is ENDLESS.  I'm not even in the civilian work force and I've already found out so much info that I'm already starting to know that I don't know half of what I need to know.
but I am over the military and to valuable to be called names as if it was day one on the boat.
OK, see my analogy above about farmers.  Granted, some people are harsh, are possibly even a**holes.  Tough, there are harsh people and a**holes everywhere.  If you don't like it, go away.  However, if you put down the chip on your shoulder and bother to read through the entirety of some of the threads, you will be shocked to learn that some of those a**holes are the ones that are most respected, willing to help people out, and the most knowledgeable.  This is not in defense of any one person.  My contact with almost everyone on this board has been nothing but courteous, professional, and helpful.
So cable133, hope this helps, and if not sorry man..Peace out and been nice knowing you
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:32 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Xenon_Free

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:42 »
You're too valuable... not to valuable.  Not really valuable at all with those english skills.  Your Delta Tau Chi name is "Tool".  Welcome brother.

Offline Fast Neutron

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:54 »
Let's see, 1st post and you tell us that you're typical nuke, making the assumption that you know that you are. (Aren't assumptions an error precursor?) 

Isn't that an assumption?

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:22 »
LMAO, Self imagined notch on his internet six shooter. I just shot a damn noodle from my chicken noodle soup out of my nose!

Mike

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:50 »
Being a Navy nuke carries a lot of weight with employers who are not necessarily nuclear.  There are some who aggressively pursue navy nukes because you have a proven record of trainability.

Secondly, it is about where you want to live and how you want to live.  Your job is what you do to finance your life, but it is a part of your life too.  It's all about finding that balance.  You should look only for jobs that you will enjoy in places that you want to live.  Probably about halfway between shoveling sh!t in Lubbock and being Chief Mai Tai Taster on Waikiki Beach would be about right.

What is wrong with Lubbock?  I am assuming(I know what that does) that you are talking about Lubbock, TX.  It is a nice place, not a lot of scenery but still a nice place.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

stownsend

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:45 »
What is wrong with Lubbock?  I am assuming(I know what that does) that you are talking about Lubbock, TX.  It is a nice place, not a lot of scenery but still a nice place.
It's just a place that I would not want to be issued a shovel.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:53 »

I am sure there are some employers out there who look for ex-nukes, but my experience has shown me that when you are outside the industries were they are desired, recognizing what a nuke has done or is, is not the norm.  As I posted, I decided to leave the technical field and go into the corporate business world.  So I got a degree in accounting.  Soon after, even in Southern California, with all it's shipyards and industry, there were more opportunities as an accountant then as an electronics technician or any technical position relating to the utility industry.  Even before my career advanced, I was able to select where I wanted to live.  Yes, there were concessions on pay and advancement opportunities, but they were not necessarily negative when quality of life issues were part of the consideration. 

That said, I do agree the nuclear navy is probably the most technically challenging occupation in the services, and I am proud to have served in it.  The work ethic I learned there absolutely helped me as an accountant and later as an IT manager.  But listing my experience as a nuke or even noting the award of a Navy Achievement Medal, was a talking point only once in the many interviews and employment I experienced.  (the interviewer was ex-Navy)

So, in my experience, unless being a nuke is germane to the job, occupation, or life style you are seeking, get over it and get on with presenting the assets the prospective employer is looking for.

Now retired, I continue to live where I have lived for the last thirty years, and that is in a highly desirable community just two blocks away from the Pacific Ocean, enjoying a comfortable six figure income.  My shipmates from back then, who went to work at the Dresden Generating Station, are equally well off, but still living in Illinois.  I will take the Central Coast of California any day.

Where you go and what you do is your choice.  It is not limited to what you have done, but to what you are willing and capable of doing.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?