Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rejected
honeypot

Author Topic: Rejected  (Read 5356 times)

xxboobooxx

Rejected
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:55 »
Nukeworker community:

I recently underwent a long, arduous process of filling out applications and preparing for the physical in order to apply for the NUPOC program. Although I have yet to finish two semesters of physics and math, the recruiter insisted that I apply. Months later, she decided that I was academically unfit to apply as a navy nuke (we kept in contact mostly over e-mail), even though I am an engineering sciences major. While I now understand that I must complete at least two semesters of physics and math, I am unsure how an engineering sciences major (structural) is not technical enough. The recruiter stated that I would be eligible for the BDCP program next year (as a junior). I really would love to be a navy nuke, despite my dwindling resources (university is not military-affiliated). Any suggestions on what I should do? Is it worth reapplying at a later time? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I went to the #1 engineering high school in the country in which I maintained a solid A average in all technical courses. Now that I'm at a liberal arts institution, I am granted to pick and choose the order in which I take engineering courses. Can I use my high school transcript as a factor?
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2010, 10:11 by xxboobooxx »

Offline rockchalk99

• Very Lite User
Re: Rejected
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:40 »
Depends on what your grades.
If you're somewhere north of a 3.0 gpa I'd find a different recruiter. Different recruiting districts have different needs, so if it's something you really want, work 'em till you get a yes.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:59 »
Depends on what your grades.
If you're somewhere north of a 3.0 gpa I'd find a different recruiter. Different recruiting districts have different needs, so if it's something you really want, work 'em till you get a yes.

If you haven't taken Math or Physics yet, you had better be slightly south of 4.0, not somewhere north of 3.0.  My advice is to complete your calculus courses and your calculus-based physics courses then contact another recruiter.

PS  I could care less what your high school grades are.  You want to get accepted into NUPOC, you need to perform at the college level.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

IPREGEN

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:25 »
Your ability to learn is important. Not everyone that has been successful in Navy Nuclear Power School has had prior calc and physics. If you already know it then great, if you struggled then you have your work cut out for you. If you've never had it but school is a breeze, then relax, with honest effort you can nail this. I never had either prior to the Navy and had no issues.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:47 »
Your ability to learn is important. Not everyone that has been successful in Navy Nuclear Power School has had prior calc and physics. If you already know it then great, if you struggled then you have your work cut out for you. If you've never had it but school is a breeze, then relax, with honest effort you can nail this. I never had either prior to the Navy and had no issues.

The guy is wanting to apply for NUPOC.  That is an officer program, so Calculus and Calculus-based physics are required.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2010, 04:04 »
Gamecock is right, Calculus and calc-based physics are required.  In fact, earning at least C in those subjects are the only academic requirements aside from the 30 month maximum time till graduation.  Your major or school doesn't really matter that much as long as you have taken the required classes; I know a history major that got into SWO-N.  If you really want to be a nuke bad enough then why wouldn't you reapply?  Work hard, get good grades and submit again.  You still have plenty of time before you graduate.  If I were you, I'd submit after every semester, attaching the most updated transcript, showing Millington and NR improvement and/or consistent excellence.

On a side note, there is probably a written list of majors that the Navy considers "technical majors".  I know there is one when it comes to Naval Postgraduate School and even electrical engineering isn't considered technical by that list.

IPREGEN

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:18 »
What the last 2 NPD* personality types fail to realize is that he is being presented with options, NUPOC is not the only route for success

(NPD) is characterized by "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy" from the DSMIV

I'm sure GC will delete this post

IPREGEN

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:16 »
You devote too much time to searching. It still seems you do not understand NPD. Pick up a DSM IV TR. You can Google it then get at Barnes and Noble. That's a book store.

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:04 »
You devote too much time to searching. It still seems you do not understand NPD. Pick up a DSM IV TR. You can Google it then get at Barnes and Noble. That's a book store.
Anyone can purchase the DSM.  However, you need a college degree and some formal training to know how to use it...properly anyway.  Similarly, if you bought a Medical book and are now practicing surgery, feel free to post some of your success stories.

If you want to be an engineer, go get the required ABET degree.  Don't get a BA degree in Engineering Science and then spend hours trying to get hired as a Professional Engineer.  Calculus, and Calc-based physics are required "stepping stones" to higher learning for the Navy and all Engineering programs.  Anyone who graduated from the "#1 Engineering High School" should already know this though...and perhaps already have had the equivalent of Calc I and II, so I don't know why this is an issue.  If you want NUPOC, then go for it.  If you've been told you need more training, then go get it while you have time and the opportunity.

Otherwise, if you want to be part of the NNPP then join the Navy via Enlistment or Commission.   The contract used to enter the NNPP does not define your success.  I've met VERY successful 30-year Master Chiefs and I've met Officers that figuratively fall on their face and leave the engineering profession before they are 30 years old.   Your initial contract into the Navy does NOT define or predict your success.  I may have learned that somewhere.   Good luck Google searching it.

Co60

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?