Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu machinist, electrical, or electronic

Author Topic: machinist, electrical, or electronic  (Read 6325 times)

raidermanz

machinist, electrical, or electronic
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:42 »
Could someone please offer insight as to the three ratings for Nukes.  My son just went through MEPS and was an automatic qualifier for Nukes, so I was hoping to learn as much as I could about the different job types.  I realize all of the detail is confidential, but was hoping for general duties to help him match his interests.  Also, he didn't look to see exactly what his score was on the ASVAB, but does anyone know the minimum score to be an auto qual?

I appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Re: machinist, electrical, or electronic
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:26 »
So, complicated question, I'll try to give you info on the basics. (this is all from a Submarine background, surface ship's may be different.  Also almost all Fast Attack, so may be slightly different on tridents)

First, go here:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html
 then read this:
MM- Machinist's Mate: works on mechanical aspects of engineering plant, pumps, turbines, valve, seawater systems, Oil systems, etc..  Also operates almost all of the mechanical equipment in the engineroom
MM/ELT- Engineering Laboratory Technician: Works on all of the above plus responsible for chemistry control of Primary / Secondary plants and and radiation / contamination controls
EM-Electrician's Mate-responsible for all of the ship's electrical equipment, breakers, wiring, motor's oven's dishwasher, and laundry equipment.  Also operates the ships electrical distribution system
ET-Electronic's Technician-Responsible for the reactor plant electronics and "computers", reactor safety equipment, and some of the reactor safety electrical equipment.  Also operates the control rods and reactor operations.

Here are some links to some more info.  

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/nf.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/mm.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinist's_Mate
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/em.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics_Technician

the above links list asvab scores for the different ratings.  

So, as for his job, it will depend on what his aptitudes are.  If he likes working on engines and taking things apart, be an MM.  If he likes rewiring motors, seeing how electricity works, be an EM.  If he likes messing with electronics, circuit boards, and soldering, be an ET.  One thing to keep in mind, most Navy "technology" is 30-40 years old., at least in the nuclear world.  Some of the really advanced stuff is 20 years old.  Also, despite the descriptions above, including my own, most of what your son will be doing is nothing like that described.  

Reality is something like this:
MM-getting filthy dirty cleaning lube oil purifiers, fixing oil leaks and cleaning out bilges.  Occasionally get burned while working around hot steam piping, hours upon hours of boring endless watches.  Months and years of learning, qualifying, advancing.  Painfully long and boring evolutions and briefs.  Nonstop cleaning and Field days (another name for cleaning)
ELT- same as above with added hours in sample sink and analyzing chemistry.
EM -  same as above except instead of purifiers and bilges, you get to clean Motor - Generators and breakers
ET -  same as  above except endless trip and cals and reactor theory, along with panel watches.

Not to say that this is a bad life or a horrible life, it's kept me and mine fed and housed and clothed for 20 + years, and I've had some great opportunities.  But, it's also a job with long hours, not enough pay for the work you do, and long separation from family and friends.  But it's also a great starting point in life, and a springboard to other things, if that's how you make it.  Like most things in life, it is what you make out of it.  So if your son goes in with his eyes open, no illusions, and works hard, with a clear goal of where he's going, he should do just fine no matter what job he has.  The most important thing is to work hard, and do what's right, no matter what.

Sorry for the dissertation.  Hope this helps you and your son.  Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 03:28 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

raidermanz

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:56 »
Thanks for all the information.  I know he realizes that this will be difficult, and I am equally sure that he has no idea how difficult.  Is it really even up to him about the different jobs, or will the Navy ultimately do as it sees fit and place him.  Thanks again for your time.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:01 »
Is it really even up to him about the different jobs, or will the Navy ultimately do as it sees fit and place him. 

The latter.

Every. Single. Time.

OddManOut85

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:40 »
Currently recruits have the choice of deciding which of the three rates they won't become.  They get to list their preference of the two remaining rates

Tell your son to not become an MM if:
- The idea of being one of the jocks does not appeal to him
- Sports don't interest him much

Tell your son to not become an EM if:
- He's never been called cocky or overly sarcastic
- If the thought of always having dirty fingernails bothers him

Tell your son to not become an ET if:
- He is not interested in video games or collectible trading card games
- He's never wanted to tear open an electronic item to see who it works

Also keep in mind when asking any nuke (or sailor for that matter) about anything they are always going to give you the knock down drag out darkest answer they can come up with and still convince themselves its the truth.

If a nuke gets a promotion, wins the lottery, meets a beautiful woman, and goes on leave all in the same day and you ask him how is day is going he is going to complain about how he needs to buy new uniforms, how unfairly he gets taxed, how hard it is to keep a relationship in the navy, and how much he hates plane rides.

We're all a little bit crusty.

raidermanz

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:50 »
Is there one, more than the others, which would provide a better career path if he was to decide not to make a career out of the Navy?

By the way, thanks for the information.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:21 »
Is there one, more than the others, which would provide a better career path if he was to decide not to make a career out of the Navy?

By the way, thanks for the information.

No. And, you're welcome.

Justin

cruzcampo

« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:29 »
The latter.

Every. Single. Time.

Q:  What do you want to do in the nuclear field?

A:  ET

Reality:  Here you go, you're a mechanic.  (ELT is a nice consolation prize)

Q:  Where do you want to be stationed?  (Anyone remember that dream sheet out of prototype?)

A:  Anywhere but Groton

Reality:  Hey but it's going up to Kittery for a year or two!

The only real decision to be made is subs or surface IMHO.  Everything else will be determined by chance or somebody's sick sense of humor.

slay

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:10 »
Currently recruits have the choice of deciding which of the three rates they won't become.  They get to list their preference of the two remaining rates

Tell your son to not become an MM if:
- The idea of being one of the jocks does not appeal to him
- Sports don't interest him much

Tell your son to not become an EM if:
- He's never been called cocky or overly sarcastic
- If the thought of always having dirty fingernails bothers him

Tell your son to not become an ET if:
- He is not interested in video games or collectible trading card games
- He's never wanted to tear open an electronic item to see who it works

Also keep in mind when asking any nuke (or sailor for that matter) about anything they are always going to give you the knock down drag out darkest answer they can come up with and still convince themselves its the truth.

If a nuke gets a promotion, wins the lottery, meets a beautiful woman, and goes on leave all in the same day and you ask him how is day is going he is going to complain about how he needs to buy new uniforms, how unfairly he gets taxed, how hard it is to keep a relationship in the navy, and how much he hates plane rides.

We're all a little bit crusty.

Holy double negatives...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?