Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu game plan for cleaning up a checkered past

Author Topic: game plan for cleaning up a checkered past  (Read 5270 times)

dapperengineer

game plan for cleaning up a checkered past
« on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:38 »
I'm about to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering and a minor in nuclear engineering. After applying for a Navy job and looking over the requirements for getting a secret security clearance, I realized that getting the job was very unlikely. The reasons include:

heavy use of marijuana (5 years ago)
several uses of lsd and mushrooms (5-7 years ago)
three underage drinking violations (6 years ago)
having myself temporarily committed due to a very nasty breakup (1 year ago)
a crappy credit score of 610 (current)
$24000 in student debt (current)

I have since cleaned up my act and have not touched an illegal substance for 5 years. After looking at the sf-86 form, I noticed that if seven years have elapsed you don't have to list drug use. I have never had any convictions for illegal drugs, and my alcohol violations were expunged with community service. I have no other criminal background. As for being committed, I was involved in a relationship in which I was being cheated on with thousands of dollars of loan money involved. When I found out I became suicidal and committed myself for a week. I have since been in counseling and have improved substantially. My credit score took a blow from not paying the phone bill on time, and I have $24000 in student debt because I financed my entire engineering degree.

Right now I am very close to being accepted to a program similar to Teach for America to be a math teacher in Washington DC. It's a very selective program that looks good on a resume. The commitment is two years, and they forgive 15% of your student debt for each year you teach. After that, all of my illegal drug use will be 7 years in the past and I won't have to mention it on the sf-86. That will also give me time to improve my credit score.

So, if I go through with this I will have a mostly clean record in about two years. What would be my chances of obtaining a position in the nuclear industry? Most positions I'm looking at right now require an "L" clearance.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline liam

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: game plan for cleaning up a checkered past
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:20 »
Given how you have reacted to stress in your life I would not recommend a career in the military.  Getting a degree in engineering is a good achievement and I am sure you can find a good job that does not entail the stress you would be under in a military environment.  Good luck to you and stay clean!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: game plan for cleaning up a checkered past
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:42 »
So, if I go through with this I will have a mostly clean record in about two years.

Incorrect. Page 13 of SF-86, section 21 , mental health is a 7 years back question. Section 23 and 24 are 7 years back as well.

It's probably not gonna work out for a clearance.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?