Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu chemistry  

Author Topic: chemistry  (Read 4830 times)

griftymcgrift

chemistry
« on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:31 »
Hi. Im new here.  I've been reading through the threads, though, for about a month. I have a few questions about getting into the business.  I am graduating in May with a bachelors in Biology, and have been really looking into getting into the chemistry dept. at Salem or Hope Creek in NJ. I put my resume in at PSEG.com. I have an uncle who is a supervisor of some sort at Salem, and he threw my name to the chem manager.  the guy said he'd be looking for my name in the resume list.  I also sort of made friends with a procurement manager in one of the two plants and he sent my resume directly to "some people he knows". 

I was wondering if I should be getting my hopes up about anything, or is this a routine thing?  In any other business, this seems as though it would be a good foot in the door. This only happened this week, and I havent heard anything back yet, nor did I expet to this early. There is an outage at Hope Creek in October and at Salem in April.

Also, if I were to enter as a virgin to the field, what pay would I be looking at? 

Thanks everyone

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: chemistry
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:53 »
Here are a couple of threads that may help you with information:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=14867.0
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=22190.0
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=10176.0

You may also want to look into Environmental tech - some plants have these.

Chem techs make about the same at most plants as Radiation Protection (RP) techs, Non licensed operarors (NLO / AO). Shift work is common, and training at the plant will be required before they let you touch anything.

Most utilities hire via online human resource sites - the old " I know a guy for this job" thing isn't as common. If that person could be a reference / recommendation, that would be different.

Good luck... :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:05 »
with Biology degree consider Health Physics as well. 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

griftymcgrift

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:08 »
Can you explain health physics to me? Thats sounds interesting as well. How would i include, say, my uncle as a reference or referral as opposed to including him in my resume?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?