Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Prior Enlisted ET Non-Nuke, Guidance Requested  

Author Topic: Prior Enlisted ET Non-Nuke, Guidance Requested  (Read 2828 times)

whoisjohngalt

Prior Enlisted ET Non-Nuke, Guidance Requested
« on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:12 »
First of all, this forum is a great resource. I have spent a lot of time the past few days reading old posts. Thank you for all of the great information.

As most of the recruits here are fresh out of high school or college, and going Navy for the first time I would like to get some feedback on a slightly different situation.

I am 34 y/o, and did 7 years getting out in 2002 as a Data Systems tech that got cross rated to ET when my rate went away.  Went to the Advanced Electrical Engineering Program Core, A, & C Schools after boot camp in 95. First time in, I got what I wanted which was out of the small town I grew up in, an adventure, some discipline, and some training. I got a lot more than I gave as I have reflected on my first enlistment and my success since. I viewed the Navy as a stepping stone, and so appreciated it as much. Wasn't a problem sailor by any means, but definitely didn't try to be the best sailor.

At any rate, got out of the Navy in 02 and progressed in the tech industry from administration to senior consulting, then into program management/management consulting and on to a role as a Director. Started my own business at the beginning of this year, first client was SAP. I have been successful, however it has come at a price.

Most of my motivation has been financial and title/image, as I have done a lot of reflecting over the past 12 months. A son will make you reevaluate yourself. I have lived the life I thought I wanted, and as it goes - Once I was there, I wasn't really all that happy. And neither was my wife.

Rather than serving my own interests, I want to continue my career in service, and am seriously considering continuing and completing my Naval career.

For me to recommit my life as a sailor, I want to be challenged mentally, and push the limits of my experience in doing that. My previous time in, I did not get that. I have some friends that were Nukes, and based on what I know it's a great field to get into in terms of "Exercising the Grey Matter."

With that said, the only math I have utilized in the past 10 years is operational accounting. I never took calculus based physics, but have no concerns about being able to pick it up or doing the work that is needed to learn it. I'm not afraid of hard work.

I have some concerns about being able to pass the entrance exam. What guidance would you give to on older potential recruit? Please do not advise that I don't go back in as enlisted, I am completely away of the life and challenges.  I feel there is a need for leadership, and that I can add a lot of value in the work-center aside from the operational knowledge I would bring after completing school. Any other feedback or guidance in how I should approach the recruiter and the entrance process would be GREATLY appreciated.

I apologize for the lengthy post. There is much more I could say, but those that are older may understand. I never really served my country the first time. Not in a fully aware state. My country has given me a lot, has served me, and I want to give back. This is the avenue I want to take to do that.

Thanks in advance.
MJ

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Prior Enlisted ET Non-Nuke, Guidance Requested
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:17 »
First of all, this forum is a great resource. I have spent a lot of time the past few days reading old posts. Thank you for all of the great information.

As most of the recruits here are fresh out of high school or college, and going Navy for the first time I would like to get some feedback on a slightly different situation.

I am 34 y/o, and did 7 years getting out in 2002 as a Data Systems tech that got cross rated to ET when my rate went away.  Went to the Advanced Electrical Engineering Program Core, A, & C Schools after boot camp in 95. First time in, I got what I wanted which was out of the small town I grew up in, an adventure, some discipline, and some training. I got a lot more than I gave as I have reflected on my first enlistment and my success since. I viewed the Navy as a stepping stone, and so appreciated it as much. Wasn't a problem sailor by any means, but definitely didn't try to be the best sailor.

At any rate, got out of the Navy in 02 and progressed in the tech industry from administration to senior consulting, then into program management/management consulting and on to a role as a Director. Started my own business at the beginning of this year, first client was SAP. I have been successful, however it has come at a price.

Most of my motivation has been financial and title/image, as I have done a lot of reflecting over the past 12 months. A son will make you reevaluate yourself. I have lived the life I thought I wanted, and as it goes - Once I was there, I wasn't really all that happy. And neither was my wife.

Rather than serving my own interests, I want to continue my career in service, and am seriously considering continuing and completing my Naval career.

For me to recommit my life as a sailor, I want to be challenged mentally, and push the limits of my experience in doing that. My previous time in, I did not get that. I have some friends that were Nukes, and based on what I know it's a great field to get into in terms of "Exercising the Grey Matter."

With that said, the only math I have utilized in the past 10 years is operational accounting. I never took calculus based physics, but have no concerns about being able to pick it up or doing the work that is needed to learn it. I'm not afraid of hard work.

I have some concerns about being able to pass the entrance exam. What guidance would you give to on older potential recruit? Please do not advise that I don't go back in as enlisted, I am completely away of the life and challenges.  I feel there is a need for leadership, and that I can add a lot of value in the work-center aside from the operational knowledge I would bring after completing school. Any other feedback or guidance in how I should approach the recruiter and the entrance process would be GREATLY appreciated.

I apologize for the lengthy post. There is much more I could say, but those that are older may understand. I never really served my country the first time. Not in a fully aware state. My country has given me a lot, has served me, and I want to give back. This is the avenue I want to take to do that.

Thanks in advance.
MJ

I admire the fact you want to come back and serve.....

However, you are not likely to be able to come back in.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:25 »
Why don't you think they'll let him back in, GC?
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:33 »
Why don't you think they'll let him back in, GC?

GC may be thinking about the following...

COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1130.8H - VOL IV
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/1130.8H.htm

Section 010102.g - Nuclear Field Age Requirement

"Applicants must be younger than 25 years of age by their shipping date."

This statement seems clear, but it doesn't directly address your situation of being a prior-service Navy. The regulations do mention an age waiver, but like seemingly all waivers; it's case by case.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 01:38 by Estis »
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2010, 04:50 »
Estis,

You're right.  He will need an age waiver.  He'll also need a "prior service waiver".  That's in addition to any other waivers.  I agree, the nuke program might not approve him.  Then again, they might.

Even if not a nuke, there are plenty of other programs that I'm sure would be happy to have him.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?