Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interested in joining, have some questions! honeypot

Author Topic: Interested in joining, have some questions!  (Read 24197 times)

Innovatek

Interested in joining, have some questions!
« on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:15 »
Hey all, completely new to this forum and website. Let me give you a brief background.

I'm 22 years old, I have a Associate of Science degree (61 credit hours) and my life is currently going nowhere. I want to transfer to the state University and finish a bachelors but I can't file the FAFSA since I'm a dependent and my dad's in jail, so I have no tax returns to use. My thoughts recently have been to get into the military so I can get my life kick-started because right now I'm miserable living in the same place and seeing the same people. I found this website because I was looking for military MOS's that translate into civilian careers. Navy Nuke seems like something that right off the bat sounds like something I would be interested in.

I will know by January 2011 if I will have the funds to get my bachelors. But lets just say that falls through, here are my questions (I will list them for convenience):

1) This is like the most basic generic question related to enlisting altogether. What is the process like? I just go to wherever a Navy recruiter is in Kentucky (I only see Army and Marines recruiting offices around here) and say I want to join? I would like to get into the Nuke program this forum is dedicated to, what criteria do I need to make sure to meet?

2) Do I tell the recruiter exactly what MOS I'm interested in, and even then how do I make sure I get into it?

3) Any thing else you can tell me with just the absolute foundation in mind, of how do I get into this would be great. I will have more questions but for now this is what comes to mind initially.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 06:16 by Innovatek »

Fermi2

Re: Interested in joining, have some questions!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:21 »
Thus far, you've already failed....

Innovatek

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:28 »
Thus far, you've already failed....

Ok, care to enlighten me on why that is?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:30 »
All your answers are available using the SEARCH Function. Nukes need to be able to find answers first, then base their questions on the holes in what they find.

Thus far you've failed and it appears what everyone else but yourself to do your research for you...

Innovatek

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:37 »
Broadzilla, you don't seem very friendly or welcoming for that matter. I can search function all day but when it comes down to it I have simple questions that can get direct answers immediately and quickly. Rather than holding dialogue with people that are not looking to be helpful, such as yourself, I am directing this towards the ones that don't mind answering questions from someone genuinely interested in the topic at hand.

t_tarbox

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:38 »
You're 22, You're not in school, you appear to be unemployed, since you're calling yourself a dependent..though if you're not a student and 22 year old..you're not a "dependent".

The limited information you provided so far does not add up.

Where there is a will, there is a way, including completing a FASFA; you should be working with the financial aid office at the university you wish to attend; they can help with the FASFA, if the problem is no more than you have stated.

Essentially all student loans require a FASFA to start the process. If you have not completed your FASFA, how are you potentially getting the "funds to get your Bachelor's" in January?

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:42 »
Broadzilla, you don't seem very friendly or welcoming for that matter. I can search function all day but when it comes down to it I have simple questions that can get direct answers immediately and quickly. Rather than holding dialogue with people that are not looking to be helpful, such as yourself, I am directing this towards the ones that don't mind answering questions from someone genuinely interested in the topic at hand.

If you think Nuclear is friendly OR welcoming you have another think coming my ignorant friend. I'm one of the nicer guys in the industry. You're 22, grow up and use the search function. You've failed test numbers 2 and 3. Way too think skinned and whiny and you think your time is more valuable than ours y ours I mean those of us who use search functions to answer the simple questions that have already been answered.

I wonder what other deficiencies in work ethic and respect you have.

Innovatek

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:44 »
T Tarbox you would be absolutely incorrect in your assessment. You obviously have no idea on FAFSA dependent/independent criterion. So here is a link for you:  http://www.fafsaonline.com/fafsa-questions/who-is-a-dependent-student.php.

Employment is not a factor neither is living on your own. I could be 23 and been living by myself since 18 years of age and I would still be considered a dependent in the governments eyes until I am 24.

About the loans, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know. I will be potentially getting the funds because I MIGHT be able to get my hands on the documents required by the end of this year.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 06:46 by Innovatek »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:45 »
100 quatloos against.

And negakarma for hassling TTarbox

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:45 »
Incorrect.

My son is your age and if I wasn't available he wouldn't need my info in order to file a FAFSA.

You're wrong son.

Innovatek

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:52 »

If you think Nuclear is friendly OR welcoming you have another think coming my ignorant friend. I'm one of the nicer guys in the industry. You're 22, grow up and use the search function. You've failed test numbers 2 and 3. Way too think skinned and whiny and you think your time is more valuable than ours y ours I mean those of us who use search functions to answer the simple questions that have already been answered.

I wonder what other deficiencies in work ethic and respect you have.

Your thought process is hypocritical and your assessments are childish. You are assuming things that are just reflecting in your lack of maturity.

*Edit to respond to your post directly above this one*

No, you would be wrong. Use these SEARCH skills you speak of to see that you need your parents information unless you meet the criteria for independent status. The government expects an EFC from your parents and unavailability of a parents tax returns is not a option. How easy would it be for anyone to do so if that was the case and get a higher EFC value.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 06:55 by Innovatek »

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:53 »
Your thought process is hypocritical and your assessments are childish. You are assuming things that are just reflecting in your lack of maturity.

I'm a manager in this industry. I'm also a VERY GOOD manager. My assessment is dead on.

You've failed Number 4. Cannot accept and act on valid input.

t_tarbox

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:58 »
T Tarbox you would be absolutely incorrect in your assessment. You obviously have no idea on FAFSA dependent/independent criterion. So here is a link for you:  http://www.fafsaonline.com/fafsa-questions/who-is-a-dependent-student.php.

Employment is not a factor neither is living on your own. I could be 23 and been living by myself since 18 years of age and I would still be considered a dependent in the governments eyes until I am 24.

About the loans, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know. I will be potentially getting the funds because I MIGHT be able to get my hands on the documents required by the end of this year.

The statement says you can claim to be a dependent, not that you must claim to be a dependent.

Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.fafsaonline.com/fafsa-questions/what-if-my-parents-do-not-want-to-submit-their-information-for-the-fafsa.php

and to quote the part you might find interesting:

"Finally, if you as a student are unable to obtain assistance from your parent(s), we always recommend scheduling an appointment with your school's financial aid office to speak with a financial aid counselor about your specific situation."

As I said, the financial aid office should be able to help you with the FASFA, if the only situation preventing you from obtaining student loans is the one you described.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:02 »
That would require effort on his part, something which I believe he's not exactly into doing.

Innovatek

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:03 »
I'm a manager in this industry. I'm also a VERY GOOD manager. My assessment is dead on.

You've failed Number 4. Cannot accept and act on valid input.

Obviously my interaction with solely you is a direct reflection of my mannerisms. You initiated hostility, my assessment of you is that you have a major downfall of not being objective in your thinking. You make assumptions and jump to conclusions with no sound means of backing it up.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:06 »
You don't become a Shift Manager in this industry without being objective and using sound data to derive correct conclusions. Now son, I've been doing this for 26 years and NO ONE has ever stated I don't come prepared and do my research.

You've failed yet another criteria. #5, Assuming you are correct in preponderance of evidence that you are lazy,

And #6 a Non Qual arguing with a Qual.

You might want to try another industry. You won't succeed in ours.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:08 »

*Edit to respond to your post directly above this one*

No, you would be wrong. Use these SEARCH skills you speak of to see that you need your parents information unless you meet the criteria for independent status. The government expects an EFC from your parents and unavailability of a parents tax returns is not a option. How easy would it be for anyone to do so if that was the case and get a higher EFC value.

So did you forget the 3 questions you asked about the industry?

You just failed #7, No attention span for remaining on a topic/subject.

Innovatek

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:11 »
The statement says you can claim to be a dependent, not that you must claim to be a dependent.

Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.fafsaonline.com/fafsa-questions/what-if-my-parents-do-not-want-to-submit-their-information-for-the-fafsa.php

and to quote the part you might find interesting:

"Finally, if you as a student are unable to obtain assistance from your parent(s), we always recommend scheduling an appointment with your school's financial aid office to speak with a financial aid counselor about your specific situation."

As I said, the financial aid office should be able to help you with the FASFA, if the only situation preventing you from obtaining student loans is the one you described.

Yeah absolutely, I will make sure to do that but I do also know straight from my previous school's financial advisers mouth that: qualifying for independent status (not needing parents tax returns) when you don't directly meet the basic initial needs is something won't likely be done unless you have a unique circumstance that can be backed up by official letters and documents showing that to be so.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:12 »
Yeah absolutely, I will make sure to do that but I do also know straight from my previous school's financial advisers mouth that: qualifying for independent status (not needing parents tax returns) when you don't directly meet the basic initial needs is something won't likely be done unless you have a unique circumstance that can be backed up by official letters and documents showing that to be so.

Failure on #8. Too lazy to obtain proper documentation. Why not put in some EFFORT to help yourself?

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:17 »
He won't last.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:18 »
In a desperate attempt to get this back on topic, here goes:

1) This is like the most basic generic question related to enlisting altogether. What is the process like? I just go to wherever a Navy recruiter is in Kentucky (I only see Army and Marines recruiting offices around here) and say I want to join? I would like to get into the Nuke program this forum is dedicated to, what criteria do I need to make sure to meet?

okay, you found this site, but not www.navy.mil  ??  They do have a recruiting station locator on their site.

2) Do I tell the recruiter exactly what MOS I'm interested in, and even then how do I make sure I get into it?

The Navy calls it an NEC, and yes if you tell the recruiter what job(s) you want to do they will try to match it up against openings.

3) Any thing else you can tell me with just the absolute foundation in mind, of how do I get into this would be great. I will have more questions but for now this is what comes to mind initially.

There are also plenty of other jobs in the Navy that are technical in nature, and translate to civvie jobs. Gas Turbine Mechanic and Aviation Electronics Tech are a couple that come to mind just now. Nuclear is pretty intense, and has somewhat of a washout rate. Your mileage may vary

Innovatek

« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:18 »

Failure on #8. Too lazy to obtain proper documentation. Why not put in some EFFORT to help yourself?

The thing with that is running around obtaining documents and jumping through unnecessary hoops just to qualify for government loans is an awful waste of effort. There's a difference between being lazy and using forethought to see if something is worth the trouble to begin with. My other option is wait two years (being productive during that time mind you) and automatically qualify for independent status.

Broadzilla I have no hate or anger towards you, by the way how many #'s on that list is there haha.

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:19 »
I was on topic!

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:20 »
The thing with that is running around obtaining documents and jumping through unnecessary hoops just to qualify for government loans is an awful waste of effort. There's a difference between being lazy and using forethought to see if something is worth the trouble to begin with. My other option is wait two years (being productive during that time mind you) and automatically qualify for independent status.

Broadzilla I have no hate or anger towards you, by the way how many #'s on that list is there haha.

#9 Won't put out minimal effort. If the loans are available how is obtaining the paperwork a waste of time.

Try being a cook or janitor.

Innovatek

« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:20 »
Thank you Marssim! I very much appreciate that.

*quick edit*
Also thank you Hydrodave!
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 07:27 by Innovatek »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?