Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interested in joining, have some questions!
honeypot

Author Topic: Interested in joining, have some questions!  (Read 24196 times)

t_tarbox

Re: Interested in joining, have some questions!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:24 »
I was on topic!

My replies were taking the thread off topic; I'll take my part of the conversation to PM..

Innovatek

« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:26 »

#9 Won't put out minimal effort. If the loans are available how is obtaining the paperwork a waste of time.

Try being a cook or janitor.

The problem with a loan is it isn't a grant! You know I wanted to be a chef in my earlier years but seemed after seeing that most chef's goal was to stop cooking and become the owner of their own restaurant(s). It put me off to the idea.

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:32 »
Trust me you won't make it as a nuke.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:44 »
The problem with a loan is it isn't a grant! You know I wanted to be a chef in my earlier years but seemed after seeing that most chef's goal was to stop cooking and become the owner of their own restaurant(s). It put me off to the idea.

Wow dude, when are you going to stop digging?  You're against two people who are respected for their knowledge.  Mike, that is Broadzilla is extremely helpful and also extremely abrupt when the approach appears to be lacking.  I would suggest you IM Mike and show a little humility and Mike will go way out of his way to be helpful.  I got in this business when I was 19 and thought I was immature.  I learned that in this field immaturity wasn't accepted.  Nuclear power requires exactness because if you really screw up, people can die.  Sometimes a lot of people.  Mike and TTarbox, Tim by the way, have managed quite a few people in their day.  They know exactly what the job of an operator requires. They may be a little abrupt, but if approached in a more mature way, will be very helpful.  I've gotten help from them both and I only be an HP tech. :P :P
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Innovatek

« Reply #29 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:45 »
Trust me you won't make it as a nuke.

You can say what you like and you could be right but you very well might be wrong. I'm still skirting the edges at the moment on exploring the nuke option, there are many opportunities and interesting routes. If I decide this one is the one I want to go for I will try my best.

Lets say I choose nuke and follow through, you going to treat me to something after it's all said and done? Lets say you order a pizza for me online to my residence at the time.

One caveat though I get to choose the toppings, from my impressions you might order a pizza with no sauce or cheese just anchovy and onions just to spite me.

Innovatek

« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:52 »
Wow dude, when are you going to stop digging?  You're against two people who are respected for their knowledge.  Mike, that is Broadzilla is extremely helpful and also extremely abrupt when the approach appears to be lacking.  I would suggest you IM Mike and show a little humility and Mike will go way out of his way to be helpful.  I got in this business when I was 19 and thought I was immature.  I learned that in this field immaturity wasn't accepted.  Nuclear power requires exactness because if you really screw up, people can die.  Sometimes a lot of people.  Mike and TTarbox, Tim by the way, have managed quite a few people in their day.  They know exactly what the job of an operator requires. They may be a little abrupt, but if approached in a more mature way, will be very helpful.  I've gotten help from them both and I only be an HP tech. :P :P

I absolutely don't doubt Broadzilla's expertise, never did. I already sent TTarbox a thank you and apology for any negative perception in the tone of my responses; he seems like someone that really is interested in helping giving any information he can give.

You know besides the hint of snideness in my response to TTarbox when he didn't deserve it, I feel completely mature about the situation. I was encountering unjustified hostility and I didn't resort to any insults that I didn't receive to begin with. If I follow through with this I will become a regular on this board and who knows maybe Broadzilla might warm up to me  ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:54 »
You won't make it.

Innovatek

« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:01 »
Sticks and stones broadzilla... sticks and stones.  :P

co60slr

« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:09 »
Sticks and stones broadzilla... sticks and stones.  :P
It doesn't sound like you want help from people that are not only willing to answer your question, but are perhaps qualified.   Meanwhile, let's back up with a perhaps little known search strategy for you (et al) Potential Navy Candidates:

Click on the profile of your friendly NW Member replying to you, click on "See the last posts of this person".   From there you can not only see what information that person is posting throughout the website of interest (similar to "follow" on Twitter), but also to gauge if that person is really helpful or not to your endeavor.  For example, here's what Google (not Nukeworker) revealed:  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=3730.0

If you chose to "wrestle" and provide nothing but entertainment for the world, then at least do it knowingly.  However, please do it knowing that the people most qualified to answer your questions will likely not come back to this circus thread again.   Your choice what to post, just understand that being ignored in the nuclear world is NOT usually an oversight.  In fact when given the choice of public berating or ignoring (at least until a private one-on-one opportunity arises), the consummate nuclear professional stays just that...professional.

Sorry to interrupt your wrestling match.

Co60

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2010, 07:16 »
Not to sound cynical, Inno, but my last duty station before I got out of the Navy was the Nuclear Recruiter for an NRD (after two boats and a tender--almost 8 years of sea duty.)  It got to the point where if I met the kids on deck at MEPS or at the stations you could line them up and go, "You'll make it, you won't, you won't, you will..." etc.

Certain flags just go up on a person within the first 10 seconds.  I don't care if you've got a 99 QT with a 78 on the NFQT--if you don't have MOTIVATION, you're not going to survive.  You may not even find the academics in the nuke pipeline that terribly difficult.  However, if you're not MENTALLY and EMOTIONALLY prepared, you'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Nukes (at least the good ones) are generally regarded by those outside the community as a PITA--and why?  Because we don't just press the, "I believe" button and go on.  Imagine me as an ET2, going up to a PN1 and explaining THEIR job to them as to why I should be allowed to take the ET1 test, because I HAD in fact fulfilled the requirements.  Maybe that's why the CRF types in recruiting also don't like nukes--they can call BS, and do so often.

So, dear young man, if you think you want this program, you need to do the basic steps; which first and foremost among them is making sure you have the scores to qualify in the first place.  I wouldn't even talk to a kid unless they had an ASVAB in hand with qualifying line scores (and if they were borderline, not until after they passed the NFQT.)  Civil involvement?  Drugs?  Grades?  All of these are going to play into what you get, or even IF you get.

And if you're fortunate enough to qualify for nuclear power, remember that while there is plenty of help available for those who need it, YOU have to go to THEM, not the other way around.  If getting money for school doesn't motivate you, something tells me that coming in at 0500 to study before school and staying until 2300 at night (and on weekends) isn't going to be your cup of tea, so to speak.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #35 on: Sep 11, 2010, 09:20 »
The thing with that is running around obtaining documents and jumping through unnecessary hoops just to qualify for government loans is an awful waste of effort. There's a difference between being lazy and using forethought to see if something is worth the trouble to begin with. My other option is wait two years (being productive during that time mind you) and automatically qualify for independent status.

He thinks that running around getting unnecessary documents and jumping through hoops doesn't make sense, and wants in the nuclear industry? 

No chance of success.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:28 »
Hey all, completely new to this forum and website. Let me give you a brief background.

I'm 22 years old, I have a Associate of Science degree (61 credit hours) and my life is currently going nowhere. I want to transfer to the state University and finish a bachelors but I can't file the FAFSA since I'm a dependent and my dad's in jail, so I have no tax returns to use. My thoughts recently have been to get into the military so I can get my life kick-started because right now I'm miserable living in the same place and seeing the same people. I found this website because I was looking for military MOS's that translate into civilian careers. Navy Nuke seems like something that right off the bat sounds like something I would be interested in.

I will know by January 2011 if I will have the funds to get my bachelors. But lets just say that falls through, here are my questions (I will list them for convenience):

1) This is like the most basic generic question related to enlisting altogether. What is the process like? I just go to wherever a Navy recruiter is in Kentucky (I only see Army and Marines recruiting offices around here) and say I want to join? I would like to get into the Nuke program this forum is dedicated to, what criteria do I need to make sure to meet?

2) Do I tell the recruiter exactly what MOS I'm interested in, and even then how do I make sure I get into it?

3) Any thing else you can tell me with just the absolute foundation in mind, of how do I get into this would be great. I will have more questions but for now this is what comes to mind initially.

1. You take a test, its called an asvab.
2. They'll let you know if your score was high enough for your field, nuke.
  if not i think you take this thing called a Nuke test. I never took it I don't know what its really called or how well you need to do for it... Oh shit look it up on google.
3. huh? Stop posting here, having internet quarrels with the older folks here is kinda dumb...
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

co60slr

« Reply #37 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:57 »
1. You take a test, its called an asvab.
2. They'll let you know if your score was high enough for your field, nuke.
  if not i think you take this thing called a Nuke test. I never took it I don't know what its really called or how well you need to do for it... Oh shit look it up on google.
3. huh? Stop posting here, having internet quarrels with the older folks here is kinda dumb...
Really, Mike?   You have 10 months under your belt from this:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22233.msg115844.html#msg115844

...and you're ready to jump in the pool as a shark now?

co60slr

« Reply #38 on: Sep 11, 2010, 11:00 »
He thinks that running around getting unnecessary documents and jumping through hoops doesn't make sense, and wants in the nuclear industry? 

No chance of success.
I took the suggestion myself...more use of the search function.  And a review of YOUR past posting seems to suggest all you can do is highlight/repeat BZ's postings.  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=14610;sa=showPosts

You (et al) can honestly predict success for someone who hasn't even spoken with a recruiter yet based on a few postings to Nukeworker.com?   Seriously?

Thanks for the advice Motown Homey.  This "thick skinned" posting is much more entertaining....right?

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2010, 01:36 »
I took the suggestion myself...more use of the search function.  And a review of YOUR past posting seems to suggest all you can do is highlight/repeat BZ's postings.  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=14610;sa=showPosts

You (et al) can honestly predict success for someone who hasn't even spoken with a recruiter yet based on a few postings to Nukeworker.com?   Seriously?

Thanks for the advice Motown Homey.  This "thick skinned" posting is much more entertaining....right?

I don't know about the entertaining thought. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the OP keep this sh** up!  Good work in searching for a pertinent BZ post and the  resultant  [Flamer] [Flamer]I'll be giving quite a few  +K for every one but the obvious two.  This has been fun. :trollbash:
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:56 »

Hmm...   I would have thought that the great and all powerful such as gold member Co60Slr could recognize sarcasm.  Perhaps not.

My most humble apologies,  may this unworthy one now ask the boon of being allowed to end it's own miserable existence?
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Stix

« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:57 »
NHSparky knows what he is talking about as far as joining up.  Before anything can be done, you need to take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery).  Those results is where the recruiters determine if you have the brains to do the job you want to do.  And if the results don't show that, they will encourage you to the area that they need to fill the most that you qualify for, or send you off to study and retake the test later.  For a nuke, when I was in 1/3 did not complete school and prototype.  I am not sure what the ratio is now, I think it is a little better only because they don't do as many educational waivers.  The thing was, it was 2 to 1 for service time repayment when you washed out.  I had committed for 4 years with a 2 year extension.  If I had washed out after 6 months, I was putting in 5 years in the conventional fleet.

The biggest question for you is the nuke program is 8 years.  Do you want to commit yourself to 8 years in the service?  That is a long time.  You will be deployed away for a good part of that time.  I was in 6 years.  The first 2 years was my schooling.  They have compressed that now to give more time in the fleet.  The other 4 years I spent on 2 med cruises, a north Atlantic cruise, and a European cruise.  When you add in damage control training and other crap, I was away 2.5 years out of those 4.  Your family life if you have a family, will most likely be destroyed by the separation.  I joined in 82.  I was single and met a girl when I was at Nuke school.  We got engaged, and after my first deployment everything was off, and she married another within the year.  You are already 22, so you are an old man already as a recruit, and you will be 30 at least when you are getting out, unless you reenlist for additional time. If you do reenlist, I would recommend going for 20 years so you can draw retirement benefits.  Now with that said, would I do it again?  When I look back at the situation I was in before I joined up, I was in a similar situation (just got associate degree, no work with bills to pay).  For me it was the best choice I could have made, but it is not for everyone.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2010, 03:26 »
Hmm...   I would have thought that the great and all powerful such as gold member Co60Slr could recognize sarcasm.  Perhaps not.

My most humble apologies,  may this unworthy one now ask the boon of being allowed to end it's own miserable existence?
You need to use emoticons when being sarcastic. Emotion doesn't carry very well on a forum.  You're just lucky I don't have any smites to give! :-> :-> :->
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

co60slr

« Reply #43 on: Sep 11, 2010, 06:03 »

Well, c'mon IRLFAN....are you a nuke, but not thick skinned as Motown Homey says all of us "successful, qualified, dinosaur Nukes" are?  Isn't that the latest advice here to the newcomer?   Pretty easy to flame-spray a high school kid, but not respond to a simple peer challenge?

Just be careful while following BZ around the Forum sucking up to him.  I fear a anatomical/biological accident should he stop suddenly and you not.   However, if it happens, please post pictures.

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Sep 11, 2010, 07:59 »
Well, c'mon IRLFAN....are you a nuke, but not thick skinned as Motown Homey says all of us "successful, qualified, dinosaur Nukes" are?  Isn't that the latest advice here to the newcomer?   Pretty easy to flame-spray a high school kid, but not respond to a simple peer challenge?

Just be careful while following BZ around the Forum sucking up to him.  I fear a anatomical/biological accident should he stop suddenly and you not.   However, if it happens, please post pictures.

On his worst day IRLFan is a better nuke than you'll ever be. I've worked with him, I know.

Fermi2

« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2010, 08:00 »
Is the ASVAB still administered in high school?

IIRC everybody would go to the cafeteria in either their junior or senior year and take the ASVAB.

Seems things have changed,....of course I could be wrong,....

I know in 1979 they weren't giving it at school. In 184 when I took it I had to go to MEPs.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2010, 08:05 »
Topic locked.

Nothing helpful coming from those posting.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 08:06 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?