Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outage vs training honeypot

Author Topic: Outage vs training  (Read 9937 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Outage vs training
« on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:51 »
I report to my new plant about the same time they start an outage. Should I be expecting things?  Want to walk in with my eyes open is all.  NLO trainee FWIW.    

edit:  I looked at the outage schedule for next year.  couple questions

1) It looks like every plant works together in scheduling in tandem. Is this circumstantial or planned?
2) why are some outages many times longer then others? More maintenance obviously, but what? Do we have a "pms" schedule like the navy does? I.e. every ten years check certain pumps or whatever.
3) outages occur every 2-3 years?
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 03:12 by Charlie Murphy »

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Outage vs training
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:32 »
you mean something along these lines?

Nah, Im  not asking about when they happen. Nothing useful comes up with timelines, and Im asking what non quals do during outages. Dont see much on that with searching.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:09 »
Once upon a time at my plant, non-quals got the rare privilege of doing SOP watch for RP, "Hey Boy/go-fer" work for the crafts and if they seemed to have a head on their shoulders then it was FME duty somewhere in the plant. But that was a while back and i believe they only did it when they weren't in class and on weekends.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:58 »
I report to my new plant about the same time they start an outage. Should I be expecting things?  Want to walk in with my eyes open is all.  NLO trainee FWIW.    

1) It looks like every plant works together in scheduling in tandem. Is this circumstantial or planned?
2) why are some outages many times longer then others? More maintenance obviously, but what? Do we have a "pms" schedule like the navy does? I.e. every ten years check certain pumps or whatever.

You will first spend a few days doing your plant access training. However, since they are starting an outage, you will be doing it with a lot of bubbas. Because they are starting an outage, they probably won't pay much attention to you except to assign you some task that will probably be menial, but educational. You should be able to get out and see a lot of things when the plant is cold iron. I am just guessing, but this is what I have seen my last 2 plants do with new NLOs during an outage.

1) Outages are planned for spring and fall. I don't think plants work together, unless they are in a "fleet," like Exelon.
2) Like you said, depends on what is going on. Could be replacing major parts such as steam generators or condensers, which would make the outage many months long, or could be doing not much of anything which could make it <30 days. Yes, there are PMs just like the Navy. Some of them can't be done until the plant is shut down, and that usually involves some involved diesel work or ECCS system testing.
3) In my experience, BWRs are on 2 year cycles PWRs are on 1.5 year cycles, YMMV.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:51 »

1) Outages are planned for spring and fall. I don't think plants work together, unless they are in a "fleet," like Exelon.

Not exactly.  Many plants are part of USA, and share resources, namely personnel.

3) In my experience, BWRs are on 2 year cycles PWRs are on 1.5 year cycles, YMMV.

YMMV indeed.  In my experience BWR's are also on a 1.5 year cycle.

To the OP:  whatever menial task you get assigned, if you have any unassigned time, get out in the plant and follow another NLO around.  You'll get to see and participate in things that are only done very infrequently.  This is a great opportunity to learn.  Make the most of it and good luck.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:05 »
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about number 1. I was just basing it on my experience, where neither of my utilities coordinated outages with other utilities.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:33 »
Not exactly.  Many plants are part of USA, and share resources, namely personnel.

YMMV indeed.  In my experience BWR's are also on a 1.5 year cycle.

To the OP:  whatever menial task you get assigned, if you have any unassigned time, get out in the plant and follow another NLO around.  You'll get to see and participate in things that are only done very infrequently.  This is a great opportunity to learn.  Make the most of it and good luck.

Makes sense to me. I feel I should capatilize on the plant being shutdown as much as possible. Im coming from a background of scramming for fun haha. Probably not so much on civilian side, eh? haha.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:12 »

1: Utilities coordinate outages within their fleet. Most are in the fall or spring when power is the cheapest.

2: Usually either 10 year inspections, or modifications that take a significant amount of time, or just plain old fashioned nuclear mismanagement.

3: PWRS about every 18 months. BWRs either 1.5 or 2 years it depends on the utility and whether they elected to go on a 2 year cycle. Both BWR cycles have their advantages.

No matter what there are also scams to be had but remember, as I tell my guys "You can't scam a scammer"

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:12 »

Makes sense to me. I feel I should capatilize on the plant being shutdown as much as possible. Im coming from a background of scramming for fun haha. Probably not so much on civilian side, eh? haha.

With the outage going on they probably won't have very much for you to do.  By the time you get there all of the jobs will have already been assigned, and you're really not qualified to do anything.

This is a chance for you to make a really good first impression by hitting the ground running.

After you get all of your training done make sure to get in the plant and look around when you can.  There are a lot of areas that are not accessible during operation, so if you don't go see the stuff while you can you might not get a chance again until the next outage.

I would fully expect that they really won't have much of a plan for you during the outage.  Don't let that discourage you.  I've seen previous non qualified people just sit there and whine the whole outage because they're bored.  The people at the plant are going to be working a LOT of hours, and they're going to be very busy...  someone whining about being bored will just piss them off.

Remember that it's NOT the Navy anymore.  People are paying attention to your actions and your attitude from the minute you walk in the door.  There will be people that scam, believe me.  Don't let it be you, and no matter what try to maintain a positive attitude...  people notice that too!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:21 »
Our plant put a lot of the newly hired NLO / Chem Techs / etc. to use as fire watch, confined space monitors, and foreign material monitors.  This allowed them to be useful, exposed them to the plant, and got them used to how work is done. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:13 »
lol did you guys think I wrote "Scam for fun"? lol "Scram for fun". :D SCRAM!

As long as Im getting paid by the hour, you bet your ass I will be working for my pay.  That said,  I plan on trying to get my license ASAP, so I plan on making a good impression when I arrive :)

Our plant put a lot of the newly hired NLO / Chem Techs / etc. to use as fire watch, confined space monitors, and foreign material monitors.  This allowed them to be useful, exposed them to the plant, and got them used to how work is done. 

Makes sense, probably whats going to be goin on then.

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:00 »
Anyone have info on length of time NUF/NEU is good for in the Exelon System?  Entergy is 5 years. Any other companies? Exelon?
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:49 »
Anyone have info on length of time NUF/NEU is good for in the Exelon System?  Entergy is 5 years. Any other companies? Exelon?

Im ashamed I have no idea what you are talking about in a thread I made lol.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?