Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pre Nuke and Post Nuke questions  

Author Topic: Pre Nuke and Post Nuke questions  (Read 7986 times)

LoveTheNuke

Pre Nuke and Post Nuke questions
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:55 »
For the past couple of weeks I have been reading everything that i possibly could. I think I have a pretty good knowledge base at this point. I havent signed anything yet but am planning too soon.
A little about me
I received a 96 on my asvab and line scores dictate that i do not need to take the nuke test.
I am 20(21 in march) and in high school did really well until my junior year because i did not see the point in homework(if i can ace the test why do mindless work). I still graduated 43 out of 240. I then attended Hofstra where once again i didnt see the point in the outside work the classes provided. after a year and a half of school i have a debt of about 26000. I have been pretty much unchallenged in my life and nothing that has really pushed me.
I am currently pursuing the Navy and in particular the Nuke program. I know it will be hard and that it will be my self motivation that dictates whether or not I will pass/excel. I love the fact that you have to be in excellent shape and intelligent. I have read plenty of other posts and seem to gather that a lot of nukes come from a background similar to mine.

Pre Nuke
I have a current debt at hofstra which was sent to collections and went from 19000 to 26000 (because it was sent to collections).
Neither me nor my parents do not have  good enough credit where I can get a loan.
does anyone know how i can get a loan?
Post Nuke
I understand I will have a very insignificant role in choosing my rating but i have read some misleading and conflicting information on which if any has an advantage in the civilian sector?
Thanks in advance
TJ

Fermi2

Re: Pre Nuke and Post Nuke questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:32 »
One thing a lot of nukes tend to like is correct capitalization and punctuation.

At least I heard that some place.

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:36 »
One thing a lot of nukes tend to like is correct capitalization and punctuation.

At least I heard that some place.

And one comes to mind that loved it so much that he couldn't take it when it was done to him .... (and for those playing at home ... it was not "BZ").

To your question about which rate is better (in the civilian world) ... just be advised that what happens out here today will change tomorrow (re: the Civilian world; i.e. hiring wise).  Some plants don't care for Navy Nukes and some love them.  Some hire only MM's and EM's and others will hire anyone they can get to pass the POSS/MASS.  Again ... YMWV.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011, 01:37 by MacGyver »

LoveTheNuke

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:40 »
The other posts I have read state that more and more plants are looking for RO's and ELT's. Now this might have been said without any basis. I just want to make sure if the needs and the navy and my choice match up it will be a choice that helps me in the commercial world as well. I will also be taking advantage of online courses to help me get a degree by the time my enlistment ends.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:45 »
And one comes to mind that loved it so much that he couldn't take it when it was done to him .... (and for those playing at home ... it was not "BZ").

To your question about which rate is better (in the civilian world) ... just be advised that what happens out here today will change tomorrow (re: the Civilian world; i.e. hiring wise).  Some plants don't care for Navy Nukes and some love them.  Some hire only MM's and EM's and others will hire anyone they can get to pass the POSS/MASS.  Again ... YMWV.

I gladly take my lumps!!! :)

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:51 »
I never heard of any plant that prefers ROs. MMs tend to make the best operators at a commercial nuke. EMs Next,  then ETs.

Doesn't matter much as it's an Innate skill.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:59 »
Press all you like...the feeder breakers on those "buttons" are red tagged Open.  ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:08 »
I never heard of any plant that prefers ROs. MMs tend to make the best operators at a commercial nuke. EMs Next,  then ETs.

Doesn't matter much as it's an Innate skill.

This is what I have learned in my short 3.5 years in the commercial world. Most of my SRO peers are MMs/ELTs. I also agree with being a good commercial operator being innate, and having nothing to do with Navy experience. You either are or are not a good operator, and there are innate traits that cannot be taught that are needed. Even if you make it through initial license training, requal will eventually weed you out if you don't have these traits.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2011, 08:09 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:28 »
For the past couple of weeks I have been reading everything that i possibly could. I think I have a pretty good knowledge base at this point. I havent signed anything yet but am planning too soon.
A little about me
I received a 96 on my asvab and line scores dictate that i do not need to take the nuke test.
I am 20(21 in march) and in high school did really well until my junior year because i did not see the point in homework(if i can ace the test why do mindless work). I still graduated 43 out of 240. I then attended Hofstra where once again i didnt see the point in the outside work the classes provided. after a year and a half of school i have a debt of about 26000. I have been pretty much unchallenged in my life and nothing that has really pushed me.
I am currently pursuing the Navy and in particular the Nuke program. I know it will be hard and that it will be my self motivation that dictates whether or not I will pass/excel. I love the fact that you have to be in excellent shape and intelligent. I have read plenty of other posts and seem to gather that a lot of nukes come from a background similar to mine.

Pre Nuke
I have a current debt at hofstra which was sent to collections and went from 19000 to 26000 (because it was sent to collections).
Neither me nor my parents do not have  good enough credit where I can get a loan.
does anyone know how i can get a loan?
Post Nuke
I understand I will have a very insignificant role in choosing my rating but i have read some misleading and conflicting information on which if any has an advantage in the civilian sector?
Thanks in advance
TJ

I am not too clear about your options, however I know when I was in DEP my recruiter gave me the option for something called a Federal Student Loan Repayment plan which covered up to 63k in federal loans, or I could opt to receive the nuke enlistment bonus.

I know you said that yours went to a collection agency, but I would still ask.

As for me, I only had 3k in loans so I did not look into it any further as my bonus was 20k+.
How the plan works, its been over a 1.5yrs but something around 1.5k a year for the first 3 years than a % basis thereafter.

If I helped you, you're welcome, If I'm wrong at least I tried ;)
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

LoveTheNuke

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:20 »
At this point I have gotten the school to agree to take the debt from the collections agency but only if the navy gives a guarantee of payment of the debt. I just found out that you need the debt to be a federal debt. I now need a federally insured loan to pay off the debt so the navy will pay that. If anyone knows of any federally insured student loans for students who havent been in school for over a year, please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
TJ

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:22 »
At this point I have gotten the school to agree to take the debt from the collections agency but only if the navy gives a guarantee of payment of the debt. I just found out that you need the debt to be a federal debt. I now need a federally insured loan to pay off the debt so the navy will pay that. If anyone knows of any federally insured student loans for students who havent been in school for over a year, please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
TJ

Yep, that is what I thought..
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?