Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Vehicle advice for NFAS, NPS, and Prototype?

Author Topic: Vehicle advice for NFAS, NPS, and Prototype?  (Read 13926 times)

rcarlson21

Vehicle advice for NFAS, NPS, and Prototype?
« on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:16 »
Alright so I "joined" the Navy back in Oct. of 2010 with an NF contract. I'm set to ship out to RTC come June 13th and I've been doing a lot of thinking since Oct. One of the many things that have been on my mind lately is how I'm going to spend my "nice bonus" :P. I've had a lot of people tell me to save all of it, but that would just be NO FUN! So what I was considering doing is buying a motorcycle. I know you aren't allowed to have a vehicle until a certain point while in the pipeline, but I am trying to plan out SOME of my finances before hand. See, I hear that what just about every NUB Nuke (if I can use these two terms accordingly :P) does with their nice bit of change is buy the biggest TV they can find. I don't want to do that (planning on another Nuke to do that and I'll just watch his TV :P). I'm more interested in getting something that I have desired for an extremely long time (a motorcycle like stated above). I was just wondering what kind of advice I could get out of the Vets on this wonderful site Smile.

Please don't give me the whole "you aren't even there yet/you don't know if you're even going to get far enough into "A" school/etc..." response Smile. Thanks>

P.S.
I will be looking for "used" motorcycles for no more then $7,000 and that will be pushing the limit. I don't want to buy something brand new and have to make a ton of payments on it. Plus I am not an "expert" rider either so I don't want to buy it and wreck it and be out of a ton of money.

drayer54

Re: Vehicle advice for NFAS, NPS, and Prototype?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:56 »

Please don't give me the whole "you aren't even there yet/you don't know if you're even going to get far enough into "A" school/etc..." response Smile. Thanks>
 [X] [X] [X] [X]
P.S.
I will be looking for "used" motorcycles for no more then $7,000 and that will be pushing the limit. I don't want to buy something brand new and have to make a ton of payments on it. Plus I am not an "expert" rider either so I don't want to buy it and wreck it and be out of a ton of money. ECF
I'm no Jamaican chick with a 1-900 number, but I can see disappointment and sadness in your future buddy.

My advice is to enjoy your local girls and the sweet smell of home while you can, before that gets replaced with the lovely aroma of the swamp things that surround your teeny tiny living space as your home is floating away from your pretend home for 8 months at a time. This should be like priority 948F for you right now....

Ohh yeah, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!  [BH]
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 11:06 by drayer54 »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:54 »
What I would suggest is getting a reliable vehicle with both cargo space and towing ability, like a pickup truck or an SUV.  Sure, it's not as fun or flashy as a motorcycle, but it'll be a lot more convenient for you in the long run.

Why?  Well, it's pretty simple.  You're in SC for nine to twelve months, off the bat.  NFAS and NPS, right?  Then NPTU, which is another six months, either in NY or still in SC.  If you're still in SC, that's less of a hassle.  But getting all of your crap to NY is somewhat more of a hassle.  Hard to sling two seabags and a few boxes of personal gear, a computer and a TV on a motorcycle, after all.  And your buddies are probably gonna be full-up in their POV's.  

Not to mention, down in SC, it rains all the bloody time, which isn't always good riding weather.  Up in NY, late spring/summer/early fall is fine, but then the snow hits and you're gonna want something enclosed.  

Then look at your choice of duty stations, for worst case weather.
Washington (Bangor, Everett) - Snow, rain.
Hawaii (Pearl Harbor) - Rain.
California (San Diego) - Rain.
Georgia (King's Bay) - Snow(?), rain.
Virginia (Newport News) - Snow, rain.  
Connecticut (Groton) - Snow, rain.

You want something that'll let you get to work reliably and on time, in a safe manner, all year round.  And you'll want something that makes moving relatively easy; sure, you can have the Navy ship stuff for you, but that's generally more of a hassle than it's worth.  Not to mention a DITY move is generally a little more profitable to do, when you work things out mile-by-mile.

So, in other words, get something that's good, reliable and useful all-year-round, then think about snagging a motorcycle for fun or good-weather commuting after you've got the essentials down.  I mean, sure, you can use a motorcycle in inclement weather, but while you might be a 'safe rider,' the other schmucks on the road sure as hell aren't.

Edit - And I totally forgot to actually look at drayer's link.  Yeah, the Navy has special rules for motorcyclists, too.  Hope you're willing to attend all the motorcycle safety training and get all the special gear the Navy requires for you.  Because they will come and bust you for breaking the rules, especially on a student status.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 09:56 by JustPlainLo »

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:39 »
I think you would be better off with a car.   My son is in NFAS now and I am driving his car down to him next month when we visit.

If the car is registered in your parent's name, you need to get a letter saying you have permission to operate the vehicle.

Also be aware that in Phase 1 of NFAS you are not allowed to either operate a vehicle or ride in a private vehicle.
Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:01 »
Life advice from me. Take it or leave it.

1) buy a decent, RELIABLE CAR with a healthy warranty left. This doesnt mean buy that 1994 civic because its a "honda and will run forever". You will make enough money to warrant buying a late model used car with a 100k certified warranty.
2) bumming rides suck. Self reliance is never a bad thing, and as long as you are responsible with your purchase, you will be better off with a car.
3) You're dumb if you buy a motorcycle right now. You really wont have much free time to truly enjoy it, wait until you get to your boat.
4) you're dumb if you blow your bonus on a car. start learning how to INVEST it, and turn that 18k into 30k+.... you will recieve TONS of money when you move around and change duty stations, so use that for your moving expenses, and let the left overs (trust me, theres plenty) be your "play" money.
5) stay FAR FAR away from dealerships around base, much less any place that offers "E1 and up" financing.
6) For the love of god, you are a smart kid and know everything, but please take advantage of your legal personnel available and take any and all contracts in to have them look at it, or have your chief come with you to buy a car.

Looking back at my naval career, I am sadly dissappointed with how I treated my finances (I bought a nice sports car, dumped about 20k into engine and performance mods and I now have a sweet rolling chassis I cant use. Its paid off at least!).

Whats dumber? A nuke that spends 1200$ on a TV that he can use for a long time and probably get a lot of satisfaction out of it, or the nuke that spends 25k on e3 salary with no BAH on a 420$ a month car payment?  Im not condoning the big honkin tv, but I hope you understand my point.

Justplainlo's heart is in the right place, but not completely founded Im afraid. Any car with proper tires and proper maintenance can do just fine in any situation. I did 3 duty station moves in my 428rwhp mazdaspeed miata just fine, and managed to fit my life in there. I also spent a year in New York with lots and lots of snow, I did just fine. (Hint: snow tires are NOT a gimmick!). Spot on with using a motorcycle though :).

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:19 »
Justplainlo's heart is in the right place, but not completely founded Im afraid. Any car with proper tires and proper maintenance can do just fine in any situation. I did 3 duty station moves in my 428rwhp mazdaspeed miata just fine, and managed to fit my life in there. I also spent a year in New York with lots and lots of snow, I did just fine. (Hint: snow tires are NOT a gimmick!). Spot on with using a motorcycle though :).

Mostly due to some bitter memories from when I went from SC -> NY for prototype; I was one of the few guys with an SUV.  I got all of my stuff neatly and efficiently packed into about 3/4 the total space...and then I wound up with my ex-roommate's crap filling the rest of the space, with leftovers on my cargo rack.  He had one of those sporty little hatchback ricers.  Annoying as hell, since I was going to stop by my old college and visit for a day or two, and instead had to go straight up there and move in overnight because god forbid he live without his three seabags of spare civilian clothes.  Admittedly, since he did pay for half my gas, I couldn't complain...too much. 

I'm just a fan of trucks and SUVs, really; the convenience and cargo capacity is a pretty big factor in what I look for in a vehicle.  I detest having to call someone and go, 'Hey, can I borrow your truck, I need to haul X from Y to Z.'  Rather be able to do it myself and all that.  Also...  Three duty station moves in a Mazda Miata?  You must have had a tiny amount of stuff, Charlie.  SC -> NY was a SUV, NY -> WA was an SUV and a 4x6 trailer, moves internal to WA I tended to just grab a U-haul truck, and WA -> Home of Record was, uh.  A full SUV, and then I had the Navy ship like, 35 boxes, my furniture, etc.  Admittedly, I'm a gun nut, so.  Gun cases are pretty bulky items, and so's all the reloading gear.  And bulk ammunition.  And accessories.  And and and...  You get the picture, though. 

And speaking of financing, I suggest getting a used car loan from NFCU and walking into the dealership with that in hand; that way, you're not at the mercy of the retarded interest rates you can find around Goose Creek.  it also gives you more negotiating leeway, being able to say, 'I'm able to put $ on it right now.' 

Charlie's suggestion that you go with your chief or someone who knows how to negotiate, what to look for, etc, is also highly recommended.  I straight up admit I got screwed out of about a grand on my first car purchase in SC, mostly because I turned down my section leader's offer to give me a hand with the process.  Learning can be painful, it's profitable to learn from other's mistakes.

Offline GNowakowski

• Light User
  • Northwestern MT
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:28 »
I'm just a fan of trucks and SUVs, really; the convenience and cargo capacity is a pretty big factor in what I look for in a vehicle. 

....Admittedly, I'm a gun nut, so.  Gun cases are pretty bulky items, and so's all the reloading gear.  And bulk ammunition.  And accessories.  And and and...  You get the picture, though. 

I knew it.

...I'm not the only one...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:38 »

I'm just a fan of trucks and SUVs, really; the convenience and cargo capacity is a pretty big factor in what I look for in a vehicle.  I detest having to call someone and go, 'Hey, can I borrow your truck, I need to haul X from Y to Z.'  Rather be able to do it myself and all that.  Also...  Three duty station moves in a Mazda Miata?  You must have had a tiny amount of stuff, Charlie.  SC -> NY was a SUV, NY -> WA was an SUV and a 4x6 trailer, moves internal to WA I tended to just grab a U-haul truck, and WA -> Home of Record was, uh.  A full SUV, and then I had the Navy ship like, 35 boxes, my furniture, etc.  Admittedly, I'm a gun nut, so.  Gun cases are pretty bulky items, and so's all the reloading gear.  And bulk ammunition.  And accessories.  And and and...  You get the picture, though. 

Well, I had all I needed. 2 computers, my tv (front seat!), seabag, clothes, pretty much my entire life fit into my lovely estate room at NNPTC, and it fit just fine :D Anything more is frivolous ;) Granted, we all have different hobbies, but it sounds like you had a house full of furniture and stuff, which changes your situation completely.  Since he's living with mom and pop at the moment, Im willing to bet his furniture situation is a little less demanding then yours ;) If you need the space, yeah get a truck, but remember, the navy will move whatever you have no problem.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:48 »
Well, I had all I needed. 2 computers, my tv (front seat!), seabag, clothes, pretty much my entire life fit into my lovely estate room at NNPTC, and it fit just fine :D Anything more is frivolous ;) Granted, we all have different hobbies, but it sounds like you had a house full of furniture and stuff, which changes your situation completely.  Since he's living with mom and pop at the moment, Im willing to bet his furniture situation is a little less demanding then yours ;) If you need the space, yeah get a truck, but remember, the navy will move whatever you have no problem.
Oh, I agree, I could have pared everything down to the bare essentials.  From NNPTC to NPTU, I think I had my laptop, two seabags (I stocked up on uniforms for prototype), that garment carrier thing for dress uniforms, a suitcase for my civilian clothes, and my paintball guns.  From NPTU to Bangor, I added more clothes, a desktop computer, a desk, bed, books, more paintball stuff, etc, etc.  And once I got to Bangor and got my BAH request in, yeah, I wound up with more furniture and housewares, in addition to bringing my firearms up from home. 

Really, it's...  Long-range pre-planning, I guess you'd call it?  Based off my experiences, a SUV or truck is more useful and convenient than a car, just for the general haulage/towing capability.  It comes down to personal preference in the end, though, and how much you're willing to have the Navy ship stuff.  DITY was always more profitable to do, though.  :P

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2011, 04:48 »
You want and are solicating "vehicle advice", right?

Okay, don't run out of gas.

You're welcome.

:P ;) :o 8) [Flamer] :->

drayer54

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2011, 04:54 »
You want and are solicating "vehicle advice", right?

Okay, don't run out of gas.

You're welcome.

:P ;) :o 8) [Flamer] :->
Those Pittsburgh folk need to come out here to San Diego and see some real gas prices.

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2011, 04:56 »
Those Pittsburgh folk need to come out here to San Diego and see some real gas prices.

Good thing NNPS isn't in Orlando, Fl anymore.

$5.69 / gallon

Gutzag

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2011, 12:58 »
Just went through the motorcycle brief you get before A school a month ago so this info is fairly fresh.

To be able to ride a motorcycle you have to take several day long classes that are only offered by the Navy during the week. Since you're going to be in class every day during the week, you are not going to be able to get those classes done before you at least graduate A school and are on t-track.

While South Carolina has no helmet law, the Navy does. Many people still think you have to wear those god awful vests any time you ride still, which isn't true anymore. Most riders here carry around a copy of the motorcycle safety regs to show to people when they get stopped for not wearing them. Be expected for people that don't know the actual rules to stop you and pester you often about it.

If you are looking to buy a motorcycle because you believe it will be convenient, I'de look into getting something else. Getting the classes done means you're going to either way 3 months for an mm, or 6 months for a wire rate to be able to ride the thing. Just go get a beater that will last you a few years until you know where you're going to end up in the fleet and have a better idea of your needs.

As for other buying options, there is a little corner lot dealership right down the road from the base that hires pretty girls to drive their cars down to base on the weekends. You'll know the place when you get here. Avoid dealing with that place.

drayer54

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2011, 01:01 »
As for other buying options, there is a little corner lot dealership right down the road from the base that hires pretty girls to drive their cars down to base on the weekends. You'll know the place when you get here. Avoid dealing with that place.
Do they need a business partner? Sounds pretty genius to me.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2011, 01:37 »
Do they need a business partner? Sounds pretty genius to me.

EEEE-ZZZZ Financing for E-1 and up! Talk with your Omaha Investors Nebraska CapitalTM representative! ;)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2011, 02:00 »
You want something that'll let you get to work reliably and on time, in a safe manner, all year round.  And you'll want something that makes moving relatively easy; sure, you can have the Navy ship stuff for you, but that's generally more of a hassle than it's worth.  Not to mention a DITY move is generally a little more profitable to do, when you work things out mile-by-mile.
I have 3 Navy moves, and they were all relatively painless. I always did a partial DITY because even if you just take a suitcase of some clothes and a couple of uniforms, you might as well get paid for it. So I agree that a reliable car is a good purchase, but disagree that it needs to be an SUV for PPM convenience. Eventually the OP will amass enough personal property that it won't fit into an SUV.

Second not getting a bike unless you want to have it as a recreational vehicle. There's also the fact that the Navy has a ton of red tape to cut through in order for you to be able to ride it, and you probably won't have the time for it when you hit the fleet.

And speaking of financing, I suggest getting a used car loan from NFCU and walking into the dealership with that in hand; that way, you're not at the mercy of the retarded interest rates you can find around Goose Creek.  it also gives you more negotiating leeway, being able to say, 'I'm able to put $ on it right now.' 
Paying cash gives you less negiotiating leeway, not more. Dealerships are more willing to sell a car at a loss if they know you'll be paying them back through the interest on your loan. When you pay cash, they get what they get => no incentive to sell you a car at a loss.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2011, 02:03 by spekkio »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2011, 03:43 »

Paying cash gives you less negiotiating leeway, not more. Dealerships are more willing to sell a car at a loss if they know you'll be paying them back through the interest on your loan. When you pay cash, they get what they get => no incentive to sell you a car at a loss.

This only applies to new cars dude. Used cars have their own ball game to play, and its easier to say I have XX,XXX cash in hand for it then haggle them while you leave the lot.

here's partly why I want the OP to bring an experienced person with them. When I bought my miata, they sat me down, and we agreed on a price point right there. They dropped down to where I wanted them to go (under MSRP), and were decent about it. When I sat down, they offered me road side protection for 8 dollars a month. Me being dumb, said, oh thats not very much. So I agreed. Then they offered me their "platinum warranty package" (was only valid in SC to my chagrin) for 32 dollars a month. I figured ok, full bumper to bumper warranty for a few bucks a month.  I can handle that. Then they offered me gap coverage for 12 dollars a month in case I wrecked my car. Ok same deal.

Math time.
8x72 =  576
32 x 72 = 2304
12x72 = 864
Total ->  3744.

ouch. Almost 4 thousand on top. so much for my "good deal". The kickers? They voided my warranty and I still had to pay for it because I had "after market parts". (intake and exhaust kits).

When I bought my g35, they offered me 100k bumper to bumper for 899 dollars. came with roadside assistance free.

Also, when you buy car insurance, get the darn roadside assistance. With geico its 5 bucks a month. I have probably MADE money off them with my towing expenses.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2011, 05:30 »
Used cars have their own ball game to play, and its easier to say I have XX,XXX cash in hand for it then haggle them while you leave the lot.
True, since a) used car loans tend to be very high interest and b) dealerships usually get trade-ins at a steal.

Still, if you're paying cash, you'd be hard pressed to get a dealership to take a loss with a vehicle. They're still making money on that used car you haggled for, it's just that they usually bought it for so little that it seems like you're getting a steal.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2011, 06:01 »
True, since a) used car loans tend to be very high interest and b) dealerships usually get trade-ins at a steal.

Still, if you're paying cash, you'd be hard pressed to get a dealership to take a loss with a vehicle. They're still making money on that used car you haggled for, it's just that they usually bought it for so little that it seems like you're getting a steal.
Not necessarily true. Depending on your credit of course. For example,

chase bank offers 4.17% for 72 month loans... 4.07% for new cars.  
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2011, 08:37 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2011, 12:11 »
I like driving, so I bought a car I love to drive, an AWD Turbo Saloon. I didn't care how much it was going to cost but overall I made a great decision. Great price on the vehicle and the trade in, warranty and all. I guess I am lucky because I am married with a wife who works from home. We share all expenses so really money hasn't been a problem. I still have money being added to my TSP, I still have a decent size savings, joint savings, certificates and I only have 8k left on my car to pay off, and I just got it a month ago. (2009 Lancer Ralliart, its basically an Evo X without the Huge brakes and the ridiculous insurance cost.)

I am sharing this with you, because when it comes to financial situations, have a plan and stick to it. If you can comfortably afford it, do what makes you happy. IMHO a motorcycle is fun but at the end of the day it's not worth it, it's too limited.

And all other responses are pretty good advice, so I didn't have much to add, so I gave you my experience.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?