Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Power school vs nuclear technology associates.  

Author Topic: Power school vs nuclear technology associates.  (Read 9573 times)

RadiationSponge

Power school vs nuclear technology associates.
« on: Jun 29, 2010, 06:34 »
I am at a point in my life where I have to pick one of two paths.

1: I join the navy as an officer in the IT or electronics warfare programs. I get out after awhile and I use the G.I. Bill to pay for nuclear technology school.

2: I go enlisted navy nuke, take calculus physics before I depart and hope to god to get picked up as an officer (I understand officer ciriculum is different from enlisted)

My degree is in Biochemistry with a focus on medicinal chemistry.

Which way will likely be easier to get into a job at a powerplant as a reactor operator? The amount of money I could make as an officer over enlisted is substantial so I want to know if going enlisted would pay off in the end or if someone with my ending credentials if I went officer would still have a priority over many who apply.

Thank you very much!

JustinHEMI05

Re: Power school vs nuclear technology associates.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2010, 07:57 »
Enlisted nuclear would help you more than non-nuclear officer if you want to be an instant SRO. That is assuming you qualify EWS for at least 2 years as enlisted, or are an RO for at least 2 years or get picked up officer.

If not, then you will be an NLO. Same if you do a non-nuclear officer path.

That said, why not apply to be an NLO somewhere now? You will make more money faster and get to SRO faster that way as well.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 07:57 by JustinHEMI »

RadiationSponge

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:18 »
I have been applying, I can't seem to even get an interview.

I live in Arizona and the plant here is full up. I've even sent my application to APS using a few people I know who are engineers at the plant as reference.

I figured that power school or officer candidate would be a way to prove/ensure my success in the field since right now I seem to be having problems even getting the interviews. I also figure after my enlistment is over, between retirment/new facilities opening there will be an abundance of jobs availible for someone with my background.

I've applied with PG & E, Exelon, Entergy and Southern Company.

I just need a job soon, I am 25, unemployed and in a dire situation where the initial industry I wanted to get into is downsizing like mad (litterally around 90% of the work force at most companies is being laid off (Healthcare research)). I am picking nuclear as my life's choice because it has amazing potential and I feel it would help with the environmental situation.

Do you have any suggestions for becoming an NLO? resume targeting, places to apply to etc? Ive been trying to find places on job search engines with limited success.

Thanks much, your reply was definitely appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 09:30 by RadiationSponge »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 11:33 »
Sounds like your resume might be broke. Feel free to send me a copy if you want someone to look it over.

But I can tell you, we have a few chem/physics degrees in our current NLO class so we do hire degreed people off the street.

Also, specifically, what job postings have you applied to? Perhaps you aren't applying/looking in the right spot.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 11:34 by JustinHEMI »

Offline tw78

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:16 »
It is much easier for a civilain to become an officer in the Navy that for an enlisted person to be picked up on an officer's program, if being an officer is that important to you.  I was enlisted for 6 years, and I will say that I would not want to deal with the BS that most officer's had to deal with.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:49 »
I was enlisted for 6 years

What rating?

Offline tw78

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2010, 05:04 »
What rating?

I was an AM2, now I'm trying to get away from Aviation.  Wishing I would have picked a nuke rate ten years ago.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2010, 09:01 »
I've applied with PG & E, Exelon, Entergy and Southern Company.

Good luck getting into that kick-butt, blues band from the late '60s and early '70s Pacific, Gas & Electric; I'm pretty sure they disbanded.  If you can find any of their used vinyl, I highly recommend buying it though.  Yes, there are some Cd's out there, but you miss out on some off the wall stuff that is really awesome, like Gumbo Jones--one of my favorites.

Wait, did I just have a Rosanne Rosanna Danna moment?  Never mind.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline ulenie

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2010, 08:53 »
I am at a point in my life where I have to pick one of two paths.

1: I join the navy as an officer in the IT or electronics warfare programs. I get out after awhile and I use the G.I. Bill to pay for nuclear technology school.

2: I go enlisted navy nuke, take calculus physics before I depart and hope to god to get picked up as an officer (I understand officer ciriculum is different from enlisted)

My degree is in Biochemistry with a focus on medicinal chemistry.

Which way will likely be easier to get into a job at a powerplant as a reactor operator? The amount of money I could make as an officer over enlisted is substantial so I want to know if going enlisted would pay off in the end or if someone with my ending credentials if I went officer would still have a priority over many who apply.

Thank you very much!

Funny thing, I am also 25 with a B.S. in Biochemistry, doing random low paying jobs (due lack of jobs), and now seriously thinking into joining the Navy nuke program.   My GPA is 3.25 which is very disappointing since I excelled in high school receiving scholarships, recognitions and medals.  Chemistry and Math are my favorites and I excelled in both, but I don't enjoy physics as much.  I really want to go the Naval Reactors Engineer route but from what I have read on other sites, I do not have a chance.  What do you guys think?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2010, 11:28 »
This economy is hurting many people.  I just turned 30 and got in the nuke field about 5 years ago when it was not so popular.  It seems like many people fresh out of school with engineering degrees are making their way to the nukes after getting out of school.  Many I bet have a lot of student loan debt.  I have no doubt that many of you are capable of being nuke workers.  The thing that is going to hurt you the most is the huge competition for these jobs and the large number of people applying for them.  I am not sure I would have been successful getting in if I were starting fresh today out of school.

I feel bad for all of you.  Don't give up and keep looking.  The utilities hire large groups of people for OPS all at once.  If you miss that window, you miss your shot for a long time.  Get up to speed on the POSS test.  The POSS is unlike anything you have ever seen before.  That is the first hurdle that you must get through.  If you don't pass it, you won't get an offer.  Get in anyway you can with any job.  You can then look to move within the organization later when things get better.

Tips for interview.

1) Dress as well as you can.  There was a large group of people at my interview/test.  Only 2 got in out of my group.  We both had on a full suit and tie.

2) Prepare as well as you can for the POSS.  Search this site for my posts on how to do as best as you can on it.

3) Have humility.

4) Don't get discouraged.

Good luck to all of you.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2010, 11:31 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:32 »
I really want to go the Naval Reactors Engineer route but from what I have read on other sites, I do not have a chance.  What do you guys think?

3.25 GPA.....

No chance for NR Engineer. 

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:05 »
I have been applying, I can't seem to even get an interview.

I live in Arizona and the plant here is full up. I've even sent my application to APS using a few people....

PM me about an APS NLO job.

M1Ark

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?