Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Joining after BS in Nuclear Engineering
honeypot

Author Topic: Joining after BS in Nuclear Engineering  (Read 21648 times)

cmcon

Joining after BS in Nuclear Engineering
« on: Sep 27, 2011, 09:52 »
I will have my bachelors in nuclear engineering this upcoming May.  Not to dwell on the negative, but I need to say this: my GPA is a 2.3.  I haven't had an internship but I have a lot of leadership roles in different student societies.  I've been looking into the Navy.  I wanted to get someone's opinion of my chances as going in as an officer.  I've been looking around the site and I'm seeing people worried about not getting in with GPA's higher than 3.0. 

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
Re: Joining after BS in Nuclear Engineering
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2011, 11:20 »
No offense, but how do you even graduate with an F average?  For your futures sake, Navy or not, I would delay graduation and boost your GPA with cupcake classes.  You badly need an internship as well, student societies don't mean squat.   

cmcon

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2011, 11:40 »
I understand it's bad but it's a C+ average, not an F.  I wasn't committed and made mistakes my first 2 years so I've been recovering since.  I've accepted that and I can't change anything about it.  My last semester was a 3.0 and these next two semesters should be higher.  My engineering GPA is a 2.9.  Delaying graduation is not an option so I would just like to know if I could start in the Navy as an officer.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:35 »
If you're looking to become a nuke officer, don't count on it.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago.  I found out about NUPOC about a year and half before my graduation date.  I had a 2.5 first time I submitted.  One year later had a 2.75 and submitted a second time (note that my engineering gpa was over 3.0).  When graduation came around, I still wanted to go nuke officer.  I was able to get into a nuclear engineering master's degree program.  Submitted again with a 3.6 about a year into my masters and still didn't get past the NUPOC screeners because of my UNDERGRADUATE performance.  I'm a couple months form graduation and have more or less written off NUPOC as an option not open to me.  I'm still contemplating whether or not to submit one last application before graduation, but that depends on what kind of job offers I get in the coming months.  Bottom line is - for nuclear officer selection your grades are the primary screening tool.  If you get past that, then you have to pass the interviews. But the chances of getting an invitation for an interview with a 2.3 are extremely low.

If you're looking to be any other type of Naval officer, your chances are about the same.  More and more people are applying for OCS because of the economy and thus the quality of applicants in the applicant pool goes up.  Which means someone with slightly average stats becomes less desirable by comparison.  They do, however, utilize the whole-person concept and consider your entire package.  So maybe your extra-curriculars may give you a boost.  You may also fare well if you can perform very well on the ASTB.   If I recall from the navy ocs forum, OCS is backed up so you might have to wait to get into OCS, but maybe Gamecock can provide some insight on that.

Sorry to break it to you, but I'm sure Gamecock will echo the same.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:49 »
 But the chances of getting an invitation for an interview with a 2.3 are extremely low.

[/quote]

With a 2.3 GPA, the only way you are entering the navy today is by enlisting.  You certainly will not get a NUPOC interview.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:01 »
Think of it this way: 2.3 / 4.0 = 0.57  That's 57% and an F anywhere, even at Yale >:(  Speak with an engineering hiring manager sometime and tell them you have a 2.3 and watch their face contort as though you waved a turd in front of their nose.  

Do the math and check to see how many 100 level classes you need to ace to boost your gpa up to the magic 3.0 number.  If you can get an internship at least you an get your foot in the door somewhere.  If you find a job I would stick with it until your experience outweighs your education, maybe 10 years for you?  You'll still be in your early 30's and have many options.  You may even have a headhunter recruit you away to a better job before that.  Best of luck.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 01:02 by Papa Nuc »

pat108

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2011, 02:49 »
Think of it this way: 2.3 / 4.0 = 0.57  That's 57% and an F anywhere, even at Yale >:(  Speak with an engineering hiring manager sometime and tell them you have a 2.3 and watch their face contort as though you waved a turd in front of their nose.  

Do the math and check to see how many 100 level classes you need to ace to boost your gpa up to the magic 3.0 number.  If you can get an internship at least you an get your foot in the door somewhere.  If you find a job I would stick with it until your experience outweighs your education, maybe 10 years for you?  You'll still be in your early 30's and have many options.  You may even have a headhunter recruit you away to a better job before that.  Best of luck.

Hello everyone,

this is my first post and i just wanted to say its hilarious that this individual here has no idea how the gpa system works but is trying to give advice

ahahahahha

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:08 »
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and i just wanted to say its hilarious that this individual here has no idea how the gpa system works but is trying to give advice

ahahahahha

He may have been wrong, but instead of being a douche, why didn't you offer to correct him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_the_United_States
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 04:08 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:34 »

Uh you're doing Navy GPA. I know at my daughters college (Sewanee) and my sons college (Tennessee Tech) a 2.3 would be roughly a c to c - with an average of around 75% or so.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:34 »
Hello everyone,

ahahahahha

And you are qualified to comment on this how?

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:37 »
I have earned enough degrees to know how the GPA system works pat108.  What I wrote was "THINK OF IT THIS WAY" (as in here is another way to look at it) and then went on to explain why his diploma is as enticing as a boar in heat.  More importantly, I offered some viable solutions.  Way to make a splash with your first post sunshine :stupidme:

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:12 »
Papa Nuc, BZ is right though. You're thinking of how the navy figures the 2.8/4.0 thing, based on percent. Every college I've seen it works more like the navy eval system. They are completely different.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:38 »
Papa Nuc, BZ is right though. You're thinking of how the navy figures the 2.8/4.0 thing, based on percent. Every college I've seen it works more like the navy eval system. They are completely different.

Yes you are both correct.  All universities that I know of use that scale.  My point was to tell the hard truth that a 2.3 engineering degree isn't worth the ink it's printed with, but that he still has time to change his destiny if he takes action now. 

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2011, 11:25 »
My point was to tell the hard truth that a 2.3 engineering degree isn't worth the ink it's printed with, but that he still has time to change his destiny if he takes action now. 

Very true.

Speak with an engineering hiring manager sometime and tell them you have a 2.3 and watch their face contort as though you waved a turd in front of their nose. 

Do the math and check to see how many 100 level classes you need to ace to boost your gpa up to the magic 3.0 number.  If you can get an internship at least you an get your foot in the door somewhere.  If you find a job I would stick with it until your experience outweighs your education, maybe 10 years for you?  You'll still be in your early 30's and have many options.  You may even have a headhunter recruit you away to a better job before that.  Best of luck.

Also very good advice.

I know for a fact that any company that would hire a Nuclear Engineering major would almost certainly not hire one with a 2.3 gpa.  Not sure if you've applied for internships before but if you have, I can assure you your gpa prevented you from getting one.  The lowest gpa I've ever seen any company require for an internship is 2.5.  Most require either a 2.7 or 3.0.  Some even list their required minimum as 3.2.  From personal experience, you can always try to avoid mentioning your gpa by not listing it on your resume or not including it on the job application.  But you can be sure that you'll be asked in the interview and/or be required to submit transcripts as part of the interview process.

You might want to look into taking on a double major in physics.  That could buy you some time to take extra classes, pad you gpa, and maybe land an internship.  This option would, however, require you to take upper level physics courses which you will need to do well in.

Enlistment is an option also, if you're set on Navy.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2011, 11:26 by cheme09 »

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2011, 02:34 »
Hello everyone,

ahahahahha

You sure you are not related to this poster StarKist?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2011, 03:48 »
Yes you are both correct.  All universities that I know of use that scale. 

MIT uses a 5.0 scale  ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2011, 04:25 »
MIT uses a 5.0 scale  ;)

So a 4.0 would only be a low B average? ;)

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:08 »
MIT uses a 5.0 scale  ;)

Yes but,

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:03 »
MIT uses a 5.0 scale  ;)

But they probably still figure GPA the same way, just with higher numbers (like the navy eval system).

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2011, 04:30 »
My point was to tell the hard truth that a 2.3 engineering degree isn't worth the ink it's printed with, but that he still has time to change his destiny if he takes action now. 

Maybe at certain places, I can't comment on how the civilian nuclear industry hires, but in the wider world once someone has graduated from an accredited school, GPA doesn't matter much. After 1 or 2 years in a job, nobody gives a hoot what your GPA was, just whether you have a degree or not. I've hired several engineers and not asked a newbie fresh out of college what their GPA was unless the guy didn't perform well in the interview. Otherwise, I really don't care. Graduating... now THAT I do care. No degree, you don't even get in the door.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2011, 05:03 »
Maybe at certain places, I can't comment on how the civilian nuclear industry hires, but in the wider world once someone has graduated from an accredited school, GPA doesn't matter much. After 1 or 2 years in a job, nobody gives a hoot what your GPA was, just whether you have a degree or not. I've hired several engineers and not asked a newbie fresh out of college what their GPA was unless the guy didn't perform well in the interview. Otherwise, I really don't care. Graduating... now THAT I do care. No degree, you don't even get in the door.

It may not be absolute as you've pointed out, and I don't know what industry you work in, but in most of jobs I've applied to, GPA was a major qualifier.  As a chemical engineering undergrad, I was looking at companies across many different industries chemical company, tobacco company, water treatment, paper, pharmaceutical, oil/petroleum, and construction (think shaw group or Fluor).  The only companies I didn't receive any questions about GPA was the water treatment company and that was only because I proved my worth as an intern and my boss recommended me to her boss.  The paper company only cared enough that they wanted to see an upward trend in my GPA.  The other companies had the policy that if your GPA was below some threshold value, you need not apply.

Now that I am finishing my second degree in nuclear engineering and am on the job hunt, I can confirm that any company related to the nuclear industry definitely takes GPA into account.

I'm sure after a couple years in a job, GPA doesn't count much if any, but having a low GPA will certainly limit the opportunities open to a graduate or prospective graduate.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2011, 01:59 »
You sure you are not related to this poster StarKist?

Despite my ramblings and emotional rants, I am quite intelligent Mac. This guy is clearly an idiot.  :D

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:51 »
Let me put it this way.  If you want it, go get it.  No one is going to hand it to you.  NUPOC might be harder to get, but OCS is also an option.  Subs are ALWAYS hurting for officers.  Not too sure about surface fleet, but i'm sure they're right behind us. 

Unlike them smart folks, I've got 77 on my ASVAB and barely passed my nuke test.  With hard work and excellent attitude, I've made it to the fleet as an ET and became a critical member in my command.  I'm few practical factors short of qualifying EWS.  I'll be applying for SWO Nuke here soon.  My GPA in college wasn't that great either.

I may not be the smartest or the fastest, but I hell am devoted to my work. 

You can receive as many advice as you want from this internet site, but not a single advice will get you where you need to go unless you take yourself there.  What's the worst they can say?  No?  Then you try again and again...and again.  You have 50/50 chance at getting what you want. 
Keep your head up!

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:09 »
Let me put it this way.  If you want it, go get it.  No one is going to hand it to you.  NUPOC might be harder to get, but OCS is also an option.  Subs are ALWAYS hurting for officers.  Not too sure about surface fleet, but i'm sure they're right behind us. 

Unlike them smart folks, I've got 77 on my ASVAB and barely passed my nuke test.  With hard work and excellent attitude, I've made it to the fleet as an ET and became a critical member in my command.  I'm few practical factors short of qualifying EWS.  I'll be applying for SWO Nuke here soon.  My GPA in college wasn't that great either.

I may not be the smartest or the fastest, but I hell am devoted to my work. 

You can receive as many advice as you want from this internet site, but not a single advice will get you where you need to go unless you take yourself there.  What's the worst they can say?  No?  Then you try again and again...and again.  You have 50/50 chance at getting what you want. 
Keep your head up!

Why is a frigging NUB giving anyone advice?

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:19 »

Why is a frigging NUB giving anyone advice?

lol.  I guess I am a NUB to this forum.  I'll show myself the exit.  Good day, sir!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?