Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Security clearance - how is it done?

Author Topic: Security clearance - how is it done?  (Read 5538 times)

BeastMuffinTRON

Security clearance - how is it done?
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:59 »
I was wondering what kind of investigation is done for the security clearance required to be a nuke. I assume it's much more in depth than a simple background check for a criminal record, but don't know if it's as extensive as I'm expecting. I know a few people who applied to the FBI and their clearances naturally take months to complete and involve agents speaking to your contacts face to face. I initially expected something along these lines, as my recruiters told me it would take four to five months to complete and that I wouldn't be notified of its start or completion. Seemed like something very in depth, especially since they asked for so many contacts. However, it seems like no one has been contacted. I DEP'd in last April and I ship in February. I would imagine if anyone I know were to be contacted for this, they would have been spoken to by now.

There are four or five of us going into the nuclear field at my recruiting station and none of us really know what to expect about this part. It doesn't seem like a big deal and I honestly have no clue what they're actually looking for.

I'm supposed to give a lecture on the nuclear field (mostly the basics of what nukes do and what the program is like) at our DEP meeting tomorrow, but it bothers me that I won't be able to give an answer on this part if someone asks about it. A lot of the other future sailors are interested in the nuclear program because they can give that information to prospects, and since nukes count as two referrals each, they obviously want to be able to find people who can be nukes. So..I really want to be thorough and make sure everyone gets the information they need. I know this isn't really a big part of the program itself, but I know someone's going to ask because the idea of secret security clearances is attractive to people our age. It just sounds cool and James Bondish  ::) Plus other people besides nukes also have to get cleared so they might be curious too.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Security clearance - how is it done?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:18 »
top secret clearances are a whole different gambit from secret clearances. They may do some reference checks (I had none that I was aware of, but I know some people did have their friends and family called. May be a "Flag" system), check your credit, make sure you have no felonies, and check your families background (more so if they are nationals of other "high interest" countries).

You will get your clearance before power school, but not neccessarily before you join the navy.

Having a "Secret" security clearance in this context, is just above meaningless, and it basically boils down to the government trusting you with publicly available information. Don't get too caught up in it. Plenty of other jobs have much higher clearances then nukes do.

Finally, you are NOT a nuke until you get through prototype. As far as lecturing security clearances, thats crap, and not your job. Tell the recruiters to get off their butt and do what they are payed to do.  You also have no basis to lecture what its like, so the whole thing is odd and confusing. 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:19 »
You can always fall back on, "I'll look that up and get back to you." Most people will forget they asked within 24 hours, or at least no longer care.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:20 »
Finally, you are NOT a nuke until you get through prototype. As far as lecturing security clearances, thats crap, and not your job. Tell the recruiters to get off their butt and do what they are payed to do.  You also have no basis to lecture what its like, so the whole thing is odd and confusing. 

Although I'm rarely inclined to agree with the Tuna, this part is spot on! +K

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:40 »
Although I'm rarely inclined to agree with the Tuna, this part is spot on! +K

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?