Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Attend College During or after Training? Credit Transfer?  

Author Topic: Attend College During or after Training? Credit Transfer?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline mendo059

• Lurker
First off let me say thank you to everyone who posts on this site. This definitely answered lots of questions regarding my situation.

I am currently 24 and living in San Diego. I have a BS in Finance.
Solid GPA of 3.56 with yrs of volunteer service.
Involved in a couple associations in college. Accounting and Finance society (Board Member).
I am very active as I run a few marathons here and there.

Right now I'm in DEP with a ship date on Sept 11th (Can't wait)
In the mean time I've been studying and preparing for RTC and A School that follows.
I have high hopes of going EM subs, and would like to submit an packet to OCS but would like to know when I should sent this packet in. I'm assuming after prototype or after I have some training in subs or get my quals.
Please get a little more insight on this.

2) I'd also like to know if anyone has any information on college credits that transfer to a university.
I've always been a firm believer that a "real" degree is earned from actually attending a class and not getting an "on-line" degree. But the amount that transfers  is also important and being able to actually have time to attend a university is important also. Any insight is helpful. Is there a list of colleges I can look into? It would be great to have a degree in finance and nuclear engineering technology and later work on my MBA.

Thanks,

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Attend College During or after Training? Credit Transfer?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:19 »
1) send in OCS packages as soon as you can.  you can apply yearly if youre not accepted the first go around.

2) You can put aside any notion of going to college while in a/power school/prototype. I "breezed through", but I would have been hard pressed to take even 1 class. Get that out of your head now.

3) You would have plenty time to get more schooling on your ship if you happened to get on a carrier and not sub.

3.56 is nothing substantial, and finance wont get you into nupoc, hate to burst your bubble.  

Take it day by day, you will know where you stand better once you actually get in the program.  

edit :

to answer your direct questions:
1) the process is the same for all nukes.

swear in -> boot camp -> a school -> power school -> prototype -> boat/ship OR spu OR C school -> boat/ship

once on your boat/ship you will qual your quals.

2) search. I posted exact credits offered from the program a month or so ago.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2012, 09:32 by Starkist »

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:25 »
2) I'd also like to know if anyone has any information on college credits that transfer to a university.
I've always been a firm believer that a "real" degree is earned from actually attending a class and not getting an "on-line" degree. But the amount that transfers  is also important and being able to actually have time to attend a university is important also. Any insight is helpful. Is there a list of colleges I can look into? It would be great to have a degree in finance and nuclear engineering technology and later work on my MBA.

Thanks,

The amount of credits that transfer to a college depend entirely upon the college and program. Nuclear Engineering Technology programs, like the one at Excelsior College or TESC will obviously accept the most. Other programs will not accept that many, depending on the college.

I have a degree where I took both Brick & Mortar classes and online classes. All of the classes are going to range by institution and type. I found my online classes to be much more difficult due to the amount of self instruction and problem solving required. I'd look at an MBA or engineering degree online over a fluff degree from a well known institution. Many people on here have received job offers with online degrees, myself included. A good degree is a degree that will get you hired.

Good Luck,

DDD

Offline hoopercj

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:54 »
2) You can put aside any notion of going to college while in a/power school/prototype.

Recently this statement has become a little less true than it was in the past. While it is true you won't be allowed to take courses while you're in school, between power school and prototype there has been a backup for some students lately. Beause of the delay, hold students (depending on how long we anticipate they will be on hold of course) are sometimes allowed to take some classes in lieu of working a menial job doing random busy work around the site. This is of course completely on a case by case basis and as the pool of hold students gradually goes down it will go away once again.

As far a OCS packages and the like, i agree with starkist... submit your package early, don't fall victim to people who tell you to wait because you'll have a better chance of getting picked up.

as far as the credits transferring, towards an excelsior NET degree as an ET1 i was required to take around 12 courses but was able to test out of the majority of them. For someone with a BS already you're probably looking at only a handfull of courses depending on what you've already taken as most of the courses i was missing were the core classes that you will likely already have credit for. I know a lot of folks going through TESC end up taking various courses just to meet residency requirements when they could (in theory) test out of it. i'm sure a search of the forums wll yield a wealth of information on the subject.

good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?