Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Highschool Student in Need of Help

Author Topic: Highschool Student in Need of Help  (Read 10411 times)

Offline taylongranger

• Very Lite User
Highschool Student in Need of Help
« on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:49 »
Hey everyone I'm new to Nukeworker.Com, but I had a few questions and I haven't been able to find a post that answers my question.  What are the chances of an enlisted Navy nuke being picked up for an officer program if they don't have a degree?

I really want to go into a rating that would help me in the long run, because I plan to stay in the navy for retirement and  so I don't want to choose  a job that I don't like so can someone  give me some insight on other ratings that advance quickly or easy ways to become officer?  Any Ratings that you guys wish you would have picked now that you have been in the Navy and seen many different things

I'm 18, I was married at age 17, and I scored a Ninety-Four.  I'm just looking to make something with my life and I'm willing to work any position.  I'm graduating this May from High school also,  I also haven't signed a contract yet so  I'm still open  to choose anything.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Highschool Student in Need of Help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:58 »
Hey everyone I'm new to Nukeworker.Com, but I had a few questions and I haven't been able to find a post that answers my question.  What are the chances of an enlisted Navy nuke being picked up for an officer program if they don't have a degree?

I really want to go into a rating that would help me in the long run, because I plan to stay in the navy for retirement and  so I don't want to choose  a job that I don't like so can someone  give me some insight on other ratings that advance quickly or easy ways to become officer?  Any Ratings that you guys wish you would have picked now that you have been in the Navy and seen many different things

I'm 18, I was married at age 17, and I scored a Ninety-Four.  I'm just looking to make something with my life and I'm willing to work any position.  I'm graduating this May from High school also,  I also haven't signed a contract yet so  I'm still open  to choose anything.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.msg98984.html#msg98984

If those multitudinous links in his post don't help, click my signature and search some more! ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2012, 01:17 »
Excellent question. I was a MM and an ELT. Not one regret at all,

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2012, 01:49 »
MM-ELT

Nec pluribus impar,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2012, 02:03 »
   MM-ELT-(SS) is clearly the best from a very biased elite few on this board (myself included) but there is that needs of the Navy thing that rears it's ugly head and may divert you from your requested preference. Browse through some of the posts on this subject there have been many and you will find plenty of perspective most extolling the virtues of the rate that they ended up in.

Don't pay any attention to the ET, EM, and non ELT MM's, clearly inferior ratings.  [devious]

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2012, 02:46 »
reactor mechanics > all; at least last time I checked  8)

So odd... surface ELT's wouldn't be caught dead calling themselves MM's. :p

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2012, 02:51 »
There is no "easy" path to becoming an officer if you enlist.  If it were easy, everyone would do it.
This former submarine electrician's mate chief believes EM was the best from the perspective of developing well-rounded nukes.  Why?  We handled all the comms in and out of Maneuvering, which in my opinion, gave my guys a leg up when they went out in the plant to qualify EWS.  In order to handle the comms, you needed to understand what was being said and what was going to happen as a result..and understanding is key.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:55 »

...What are the chances of an enlisted Navy nuke being picked up for an officer program if they don't have a degree?

What NukeLDO said,...

I really want to go into a rating that would help me in the long run, because I plan to stay in the navy for retirement and  so I don't want to choose  a job that I don't like.....

The Navy was the easiest long term job I have ever known,.... except the being married part,....

If it works for you, you can realize so many changes during your career that getting hung up on "a job that I don't like" is a defeatist, often self-fulfilling attitude,...

Any MM with a level of motivation beyond "here I am, put me to work" is not going to be a flange head or valve turner for his/her full career,...

Your job has great potential to evolve way past lighting off the DFT,...

All Navy ratings in the NNPP have a lot of potential,...

The trick is to look for it, and set yourself up for it,...

My own mantra on the "want to retire from the Navy" mindset is do not be a nuke if Navy retirement is your primary goal,...

Nukes work way too hard for their coin compared to most other Navy rates,...

The Navy does offer nukes more financial incentives, and you will earn every extra penny in spades,...

So,.... be a nuke if being a nuke is what you want to do, more than retiring from the Navy, more than sailing the seven seas and seeing the world,...

Because, as a nuke you'll spend a lot of time sailing the seven seas, you'll see a little less of that world than your shipmates, spend a dam sight lesser amount of time with your family than your shipmates and, as far as I know, there is no nuke retirement pro-pay,...

On the upside, should you choose to opt out of the USN at six years or later, the jobs with good pay and good benefits are there, as opposed to throwing the dice and choosing the BM rating,...

( then again, one of my second cousins got in as an EA, he don't go to sea much, but he has been to USCENTCOM a time or two )

good luck and welcome to nukeworker,....keep us posted, we like success stories,....  [coffee]

(sic)
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 04:29 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:33 »
Most ELT's get the chance to date at least one big time Hollywood Starlet at some time during their career. Keep that in mind.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:43 »
Most ELT's get the chance to date at least one big time Hollywood Starlet at some time during their career. Keep that in mind.

Well yeah, there is that,.... 8)

Then again, the OP is married, that might pose a problem,.... [coffee]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:52 »

That's a code word for "wear a Lady GaGa wig while on patrol", right?  :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:59 »
That's a code word for "wear a Lady GaGa wig while on patrol", right?  :P

I'm puttin' in a prayer chit,...

heheheheheheh,... :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 09:04 by GLW »

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2012, 10:25 »
So odd... surface ELT's wouldn't be caught dead calling themselves MM's. :p

I understand they were not allowed to wear long pants either.

[devious]

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:35 »
I understand they were not allowed to wear long pants either.

[devious]

Skirts, usually. 

Lol, no they just kept themselves very separated, but the sub guys talk about it as if "MM is your rating, ELT is a collateral"; not how the surface ELT's acted at all.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2012, 12:07 »
Skirts, usually. 

Lol, no they just kept themselves very separated, but the sub guys talk about it as if "MM is your rating, ELT is a collateral"; not how the surface ELT's acted at all.

Probably because of the fact that ELTs belonged to Mdiv on a sub.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2012, 12:23 »

Probably because of the fact that ELTs belonged to Mdiv on a sub.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2012, 01:01 »

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2012, 07:24 »

What exactly are you trying to say? :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?