Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NNPS Instructor Questions

Author Topic: NNPS Instructor Questions  (Read 4125 times)

Rosabonita

NNPS Instructor Questions
« on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:35 »
Hello,

I am considering the NNPC Instructor program that was advertised at my school. I am hoping someone can give me a little more information on life as an instructor. I know that it is a four year contract, but I don't know if I am guaranteed to be an instructor for those 4 years. I am not interested in deployment, life at sea, or combat positions and I don't want to commit to four years only to be shipped away from my family after a year.

Has anyone heard of an instructor being deployed? Is this even a possibility?

Any other information or opinions on the program would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

HeavyD

Re: NNPS Instructor Questions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:28 »
Based on past experience, the Direct Input Officers (DIO), only serve as instructors during their four year commitment.  In the past, they were offered the opportunity to become Unrestricted Line Officers (URL), meaning actual Nuke officers.  They would then go through the pipeline, which included all of NNPS, prototype and then assignment to a sub/carrier.  I realize, according to your post, that the second part is not something that you are interested in at this time.  However, I wanted to toss out the info so you can get the full picture.

GC is our resident expert in all areas officer related, so I would expect him to come in with some more specific info.  From a retired Nuke, that is the Reader's Digest version :)

Best of luck to you.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2012, 05:07 »
Hello,

I am considering the NNPC Instructor program that was advertised at my school. I am hoping someone can give me a little more information on life as an instructor. I know that it is a four year contract, but I don't know if I am guaranteed to be an instructor for those 4 years. I am not interested in deployment, life at sea, or combat positions and I don't want to commit to four years only to be shipped away from my family after a year.

Thank you.
I retired from the Navy in Dec 2008, but at that time the DIO's were actually Naval Reservists assigned to teach.  In general, nukes assigned to instructor positions do not deploy.  Most of the DIOs did their four years and got out, but there are opportunities for other fields in the Navy.  I know of DIOs that went URL (as previously posted), DIOs that went into the Engineering Duty Officer (EDO) community, and DIOs that got their Masters Degree while at NPS and went on to teach at the Naval Academy (albeit a long time ago).
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2012, 05:31 »
Hello,

Thank you.

You won't deploy....you'll teach for four years...and then the navy will likely thank you for your service and send you away.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012, 02:52 »
You'll teach for 4 years, then have the opportunity to lateral transfer to a different job is you want or you can get out.  No deployment, you'll be in Charleston the whole time.  It's a good gig if you're o.k. with it being a temporary job or want to transfer into another program after your four years. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?