Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Radiation Safety Program Access Database??? What's out there?

Author Topic: Radiation Safety Program Access Database??? What's out there?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline tritenick

• Very Lite User
Any HP's or RSO's using a Microsoft Access Database for tracking their radiation safety program? I'm curious what are people using....excel???  Anyone have Neveda Technicals RS-Solutions database?  Any comments?  Any other databases out there or has anyone created their own?  I would love to hear how others are tracking all the info.
"What you do speaks so loudly that I can not hear what you say" -R.W. Emerson

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
I once used excel to track the dose of the workers on a very small project.  No problem, I thought.  There are only a dozen of us. -- People leave and get replaced, that dozen turned into 50 dose records.  Tracking dosimeter exposure, bio assays, inhalation dose.... it tends to grow quickly.

I'm very guilty of using excel for things a database should be used for (I love me some vlookups).  I would highly suggest NOT using excel if you have more than a dozen folks, it can really get out of hand quickly. -- But it can be done.

I don't have any experience with the other systems.  I can tell you that for a small population, excel will work. I wouldn't recommend it, but I would do it again the exact same way.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
I work in Access and have written several programs currently in use at three sites. While I have not written one for controlling access to the RCA (i.e. login/logout/turnstile control) I have written a front end to mine data from two different access control programs and generate reports. In addition I have an air sample program (and another near completion) an instrument issue program started, a job Observation database, instructor qualification tracking program, and a trainee feedback program for use at the end of a training session. I also wrote a utility that can graph the results over time from a remote dosimeter or group of dosimeters using the remote teledosimetry system.

The one that seems closest to what you are asking about gathers data from the Oracle back end of the access control program at St. Lucie and automatically creates and distributes (by email) dose reports every night after midnight for the day before. There is one version for outage dose that uses several spreadsheets to estimate daily dose by RWP and Task and then compares the estimates to the actual dose received and makes reports and a couple of graphs broken down by departments or projects. The other version is used for non-outage dose and uses estimates by workgroup (and RWP) but the estimates are not as detailed and there are fewer reports. Actually, both 'versions' are in the same database, but they are separated into outage/non-outage functions. It also generates transaction reports (who went into the RCA when , on which RWP and how much dose) and RWP lists that show description, status and workgroup.

Almost everything I write is custom developed for each application. If you have a need, I would be happy to talk about it. If you are developing something and need assistance I may be able to help there or steer you to an excellent website where there are a lot of developers willing to help with questions I might not be able to answer.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. I agree with Mike. You could do something in Excel, but I strongly recommend against it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:33 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Check your PMs.

(Um... that would be Personal Messages, not PMS)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:45 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?