Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about legal issues with Security Clearance

Author Topic: Question about legal issues with Security Clearance  (Read 7117 times)

Offline navynukehopeful

• Very Lite User
I have a rather difficult situation I'm facing. I'm speaking to a recruiter about joining the Navy and he is really pushing for me to pursue the nuclear program. I went to take the asvab and scored a 99 AFQT score, and a 284 in the NUC section, which I'm told is enough to qualify me for the program. My issue is my legal record.

I have an arrest on my record from almost three years ago where I was charged with larceny <$500, tampering with a motor vehicle, and vandalism. The charges sound more severe than the crime actually was, but I understand that doesn't matter. In the end, the charges were dismissed, and expunged.

So far, I'm going through the process of obtaining a waiver for joining the navy in general, and also the nuke program. If that goes through, however, I'm afraid that won't be the end of my issues. I know that once I go through Basic, and A School, there needs to be a security clearance granted.

My main question: is there a reasonable chance that my legal record will come back to bite me later on, when they try to put security clearance through? Would you advise that I stop pursuing the nuclear field all together and opt for a different job with the Navy? All in all, I'm looking for general opinions from those who have been through at least part of the pipeline and can give me some feedback as to what affects that security clearance.

I thank you for your time.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:09 by navynukehopeful »

Offline gsamelon

• Light User
Re: Question about legal issues with Security Clearance
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:48 »
If you charges were expunged as you say they were and there is nothing else glaring in your history, and you are honest and up front about it, then I think your chances are pretty good.  I processed guys through the nuke program that had criminal histories, it will just depend on the situation around your particular incident.  Don't think for a second thought that because your record was expunged that the invesitgator won't see it.  They see all your history, minor or adult, dropped or found guilty, it doesn't matter.  What will likely happen is that you will have an interview with an investigator and they will evaluate if this was a one-time only or if there is a pattern for this type or other criminal activity.  Biggest thing is honesty and showing that you have grown. 

Unless you have a perfect background though, nothing is absolute.  If you have any other skeletons in the closet then I would say stay clear of the Navy unless you are willing to take a job that doesn't require a security clearance.  The needs of the navy will always outweigh your own, if they only need 99 nukes and have 100 applying and your the only one with a sketchy background, then your the guy they are going to pass over.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:22 »
I did something stupid when I was 18. Everywhere I went in the nuclear navy I had to defend as to why I shouldn't be denuked with one exception.
When I was being investigated so I could enter the special projects program the investigators didn't seem to care. When I asked why they said Public Record, no one can blackmail you for it and doing something stupid at 18 doesn't mean you'll do it at 29.

Oh then when I got on the boat the CO seemed pretty adamant that I had to justify why I should still be a nuke over something I did 5 years prior to enlisting in the Navy.

And trust me, what I did was not as bad as your past transgressions.

Not sure how they are now but always be ready to convince someone you wouldn't do the same stupid thing!

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:02 »
Is the waiver because of the arrest record or something else?  

If for the arrest, just keep in mind that the paper investigation to get a secret clearance is not the determining factor in whether you get clearance.  It is just an investigative process.  The final authority will be the Navy and the nuke program.  What I am saying is that if the Navy grants you a waiver following a review of your arrest record, then they are the same authority that will grant you the necessary clearance.

In essence, you will have been pre-screened on this issue.

The important thing is to be extremely honest in discussing this and other issues that would impact you ability to get a security clearance.  Also be aware that when applying for a security clearance, you must grant the service the ability to access any and all of your personal records, even if sealed by the courts, as well as references, employers, school records, etc.  

The bottom line is that what you did pales in comparison to drug and alcohol, or financial abuses, or having close contact with foreign nationals.

This does not mean that your actions back then will be forgotten.  It will always be there as a 'black' mark on your character.

By the way, there was nothing in the nuclear engineering spaces above confidential that I encountered during my nuclear service.  Now when I went to the conventional navy and into operations, especially in the radio room, they got real serious in clearing me for Top Secrect and access to spaces containing messaging and the equipment painted red.

Oh, be assured that you will have your security clearance either before you get to A School, or shortly thereafter, and certainly before they start training you on classified equipment (ie ET's and control and instrumentation).

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline theCITY

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2012, 11:28 »
I disagree that it will always be a black mark on your character, as if the waiver clears that will pretty much be the end of it. I have a waiver for something similar that I was forthright with during my enlistment process and have had no issues. That said if you hide the issue, and try and come forward at boot camp or later, you'll likely be gone.

I remember at boot camp they called people to raise their hands if there were any issues, and there would be no consequences. I never saw those kids again.

Offline navynukehopeful

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:51 »
I want to thank everyone for the responses and their advice. I've since been notified that my waiver has been cleared, and my clearance has been granted. I'm just responding for the benefit of those who may find themselves in the same situation I did. As advised in this thread, it's extremely beneficial to be as honest as possible about past situations.

I do understand that I probably have a tougher road ahead of me than the average nuke, because of my past.

Again, thanks to all for the advice, and I hope to see you around the board in the future.

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation as I was facing and wants someone to chat with about it, feel free to message me and I will answer your questions as best I can.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?