Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Gamma Ray Lens

Author Topic: Gamma Ray Lens  (Read 2606 times)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Gamma Ray Lens
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:35 »
This has some very interesting possibilities...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/05/gamma-ray-lens/
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: Gamma Ray Lens
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51 »
There goes the meter qualifications!  In comes the goggle quals.  Well, there may be a camera qual before we go full goggle.  In regards to camera usage of this type of lens, maybe a light field camera (Lytro) with one of these will let you shoot the entire operating deck, sub floors, etc.,  and set your rad postings on a map for the junior Juniors to install.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

rmigliac

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2012, 10:14 »
Interesting, but unfortunately destined to be just a laboratory curiosity because of the tiny amount of refraction.  There are gamma ray imagers on the market now, the most sensitive which are coded aperture cameras.  My firm manufactures the GammaCam, a coded aperture camera.  Check out gammacamnow.com for more info.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 »
The article hinted that high Z number nuclei might refract better, but as we see in Bremsstralung, that refraction is so harsh to the gamma that the wavelength is much longer. My hunch is that silicon showed a tiny smidgen of a hint of refraction because of its diamond cubic crystal structure. Maybe some experiments with PZT might work?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?