Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Depper  

Author Topic: Nuke Depper  (Read 8190 times)

Offline ggross7

• Lurker
Nuke Depper
« on: Jul 31, 2012, 04:56 »
I enlisted May 29, 2012 and my ship date is March 18, 2013. I've heard lots of mixed things about te Nuke Program. I talked to an ex Nuke that was on Fast Attacks and he retired after 17 years and he said he loved it. But I hear lots of negatives things about long hours and working in the engine room. I inaitilized wanted to go in as CTN or AE. But was talked into the Nuke program. I only scored a 91 on the asvab but I quilfier for the Nuke Program without having to take the seperate test. I was just wanting some more opinions from ex nukes. I don't care for the bonuses. I just want to know if it would be something I enjoy or hell for 8 years then a nice civilian job after.

HeavyD

Re: Nuke Depper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:57 »
First lesson, retirement doesn't come until you have completed 20 years of active duty.

Yes, there are some instances were personnel can retire early, some recently brought back to assist in getting end-strength down to what the Navy wants.  HOWEVER, Nukes will not fit into this category.

Not calling the guy you talked to a liar, just offering up some factual information.

Second, if you got "talked into" being a Nuke, well, Nuke may not be for you.  You're going to have to learn to make decisions for yourself, based on what meets your needs/wants.

Also, your enlistment is 6 years, not 8.  That info is in your contract.  Now, having said that, enlistees serve a total of 8 years of service, combined total including active duty, active and inactive reserve duty.  The norm is for a Nuke to do 6 years, leave active duty and do 2 years of inactive reserves, usually without even knowing it.

I'm going to assume you are right out of high school and offer some advice (if you are older, listen anyway).  READ EVERYTHING YOU SIGN!  When you put your signature on a document, you are entering into a legally binding contract with that person or entity.  It used to drive me bat $hit crazy when some new Nuke would complain about something his/her recruiter never told them.  So we would go to the Personnel Office, pull their service record and lo and behold, right there in their contract that has their signature on it, was what they were complaining about.  Pay attention to what you sign.  Your parents should have taught you this already.

On a less grumpy note, success is within your control.  You will find that most of the time, the only thing holding you back will be your own lack of initiative.  Good luck and thank you for volunteering.

Offline ggross7

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2012, 03:37 »
The guy retired after 17 years because of kidney stones. And I know it's an 6 active. It's usually 4 but because of the extensive training you sign paperwork agreeing to a two year extension. I have just heard a lot of people saying if you want to make a career out of the navy not to do nuke. So I was wondering how many people enjoy the job to stay around 20 years. Or if most people suck it up for 6 years then take their training and go into the private sector with it

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:42 »
You don't retire for kidney stones you get sent to the surface fleet. The navy isn't going to give you a medical retirement for that either because it's not like being in the navy causes kidney stones. He may have gotten out at 17 years but he's not getting a retirement check. The people in this forum have been around the block more than you and know what they're talking about.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:04 »
You don't retire for kidney stones you get sent to the surface fleet. The navy isn't going to give you a medical retirement for that either because it's not like being in the navy causes kidney stones. He may have gotten out at 17 years but he's not getting a retirement check. The people in this forum have been around the block more than you and know what they're talking about.

From someone who's been around the block more then once.....

A few years ago (I don't remember how many....), the navy did offer early retirements......and nukes were eligible.  So, it is possible that the guy did get to retire at 17.

Cheers,
GC

To the OP.... I'm still serving at 22 years.....I will retire (not by choice) at the end of 2013 with 23 years. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:15 »
We had an EMCS get medically retired about 5 years back...he was a couple years shy of his 20th. He asked Millington to be sent to the surface, they said nay...their reasoning being that the CVNs had enough EMCS's already.

Oh well. The Navy's loss.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:19 »
Do not enlist under the impression that you will have "a nice civilian job" when you get done with your six year enlistment. You need to be A LOT more precise about what "a nice...job" is in order for anyone on this forum to give you their opinions on your post-navy-nuke options.

Does working in the engine room suck? Not really. Then again, if you're someone who doesn't like to ever get dirty...beg to be an ET. The most they have to do is field day a lube oil bay.

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:29 »
The one collateral duty I had for most of my 20 years was Career Counselor.  My job was NOT to get people to reenlist, it was to make sure they had all the facts so they could make the best decision for themselves.

I always told sailors, never say never.  As in "I'm never gonna reenlist."  or "I'm never going to prototype.", etc., etc.

So what the heck point am I trying to make?  ( my wife asks me that a lot ;D )

At different stages in your career (life), ask yourself "What am I looking to accomplish in this job/duty tour/deployment/etc?  Write down some goals, reassess them each year.  How close are you to them?  I have a major choice to make, which path takes me closer to my long term goals?

For some, their initial 6 years are enough and they move on to something different in life.  To them I say "thanks for your service and best of luck in life."  No sarcasm, no spite.  For others, 10 or 12 or even 16 years is the "right" time to leave.  Others it's 20 or even 30.  Sometimes things happen and we have no choice when we leave, just as GC stated.  Mandatory retirement dates suck, but they exist for reasons.

The point is, NO ONE on this forum can give you the right answer.  Do you have a problem showing up on time and doing what you are told?  If not, you will do just fine.  Getting dirty, not knowing the reason why you are doing certain things, being gone from friends/family for months on end, these are all things you WILL encounter on active duty.

Hopefully this post adds some more constructive ideas for you.  Your first post was a little shaky on what was presented, thus the responses you receive from some of us.

And again, thank you for volunteering to "...protect and defend the Constitution..." !

Offline Dorian52

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2012, 04:14 »
The one collateral duty I had for most of my 20 years was Career Counselor.  My job was NOT to get people to reenlist, it was to make sure they had all the facts so they could make the best decision for themselves.

I always told sailors, never say never.  As in "I'm never gonna reenlist."  or "I'm never going to prototype.", etc., etc.

So what the heck point am I trying to make?  ( my wife asks me that a lot ;D )

At different stages in your career (life), ask yourself "What am I looking to accomplish in this job/duty tour/deployment/etc?  Write down some goals, reassess them each year.  How close are you to them?  I have a major choice to make, which path takes me closer to my long term goals?

For some, their initial 6 years are enough and they move on to something different in life.  To them I say "thanks for your service and best of luck in life."  No sarcasm, no spite.  For others, 10 or 12 or even 16 years is the "right" time to leave.  Others it's 20 or even 30.  Sometimes things happen and we have no choice when we leave, just as GC stated.  Mandatory retirement dates suck, but they exist for reasons.

The point is, NO ONE on this forum can give you the right answer.  Do you have a problem showing up on time and doing what you are told?  If not, you will do just fine.  Getting dirty, not knowing the reason why you are doing certain things, being gone from friends/family for months on end, these are all things you WILL encounter on active duty.

Hopefully this post adds some more constructive ideas for you.  Your first post was a little shaky on what was presented, thus the responses you receive from some of us.

And again, thank you for volunteering to "...protect and defend the Constitution..." !

I think this is my favorite post from this forum.

Malakoku

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 »
Hey future sailor! I'm leaving in March 4, 2013 (3 weeks from today) for bootcamp, just two weeks ahead of you. I'm aiming to get MM which I've read it's the one they need most. I don't know about you but I'm not cut out for subs so I'm going on carriers or "targets" as bubble heads would say. Anyway we'll probably be in the pipeline together, especially if we get the same rating.

About your original post (even though it's been like six months), I turned down the "NF" offer exactly because of what you heard and signed for IS in the reserve and four months later I changed contracts. There is not a single thing in life worth doing that comes easy. It doesn't matter if you're a "six-year and out" or go the twenty years, always give your 100% in everything you do even if the job sucks, it's called being a professional. Besides life is what you make of it, so say the wise people.

I've read on multiple posts life on carriers is a bit easier, less work hours, you can go to the weather decks on your free time, you get to stop on a few ports for 3 or 4 days and you can communicate via email or phone with family a lot more often than you would in subs. I think submarines are cool and everything but I don't have the kind of mindset that allows you to live down there, away from the sun and fresh air for months at a time.

See you in the pipeline!

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:25 »
Each of the rates available have positives and negatives about them, with ETs being the best  ;) .  Anyways, the best advice I ever got was from my SLPO in A-School before he got out.  "All you have to do is be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, in the correct uniform, not looking like crap and you will be ahead of 90% of the other people out there."  The big thing to remember is whether you plan on doing six or thirty years, do the best that you can.  It will make your time more worthwhile, give you more options on the outside world, put more money in your pocket, and maximizes your career progression if your life takes a different direction than you were expecting.  Good luck.

ET1

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?